Pistol Reccomendation?

I'd wager that the vast majority of competition shooters started with a 22 Lr either a semi automatic or revolver.

They are a lot easier to master the fundamentals of shooting not to mention a lot cheaper to shoot when you are talking thousands of rounds to get those fundamentals down.
Or you could dry fire to get those fundamentals down.

Dry fire is not nearly as rewarding as bouncing a tennis ball around.

Wilson Combat makes custom Sig Sauer 320s $1200 to $1400

Ed Brown makes custom S&W M&P guns $2k to $2500

More of a 1911 guy myself, if I weren't I'd buy that Wilson Sig.
What he said.

If I could only own one single pistol it would be a Glock 19. You can run the 15 round mags that come with it, 17 round mags from a Glock 17, or 19 rounders from the 19X model. Plenty of options for lights, holsters, red dots, etc.....

Personally I set mine up with Glock factory iron night sights and a Streamlight TLR1 (My glock 17 is set up the same way). I like shooting pistols with red dots...loads of fun and am slowly getting more confident...but that's not what I have trained as much with so I'm much more confident in just running the factory night irons.

Glocks will run basically any ammo you put in them, thousands of rounds without cleaning, and they just keep going.

Some dudes have 2k dollar pistols and have shout less than 1k rounds through them. Once you decide on a handgun definitely take it to a course with a good reputation and shoot as often as possible after that.

Here in the US there's a lot "super dooper extra bad ass extreme tactical alpha" instructors out there who engage in a lot of what's commonly referred to as "Range theatrics". The longer you shoot in the US the more of this you'll see.

I'd recommend just starting with a basic/intro course (if one is offered in conjunction with a concealed carry course even better). This way you can learn the laws of your area in regards to storage/transportation of said gun and then go from there. Most local gun ranges (both indoor and outdoor) will usually advertise local training events and competitions held either at their range or somewhere nearby, this can be a good intro into your local gun community and community in general.

Welcome to the States! Enjoy your time here and hopefully we make you feel at home.

If I could only own one single pistol it would be a Glock 19. You can run the 15 round mags that come with it, 17 round mags from a Glock 17, or 19 rounders from the 19X model.

Don't forget about the 33 round 'stendo mags! Though they are a real bitch to carry concealed. :)

Springfield Armory is now producing a Browning Hi-power 9mm. With an MSRP of $699 it might be a good option for a range pistol. I will probably get one to play with.
image.jpg

Springfield Armory is now producing a Browning Hi-power 9mm. With an MSRP of $699 it might be a good option for a range pistol. I will probably get one to play with.
View attachment 443465

Wyatt,

The photos of these SA-35 pistols suggest that they are a high quality copy of the excellent Browning P-35 pistol.
Seems like the SA version’s magazine is advertised as holding 15 rounds, as opposed to the original Browning magazines holding either 12 or 13, depending on exactly which of the many companies made said magazines.
In my case, I have a dozen Browning P-35 magazines and I’d be concerned they might not exactly fit the SA-35 ?
Nonetheless, if I did not already have a reliable and accurate P-35, I would be with you on getting my name onto the waiting list for an SA-35.
They look great.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

@Velo Dog the Magazines are, according to the article, rebranded Mec-Gar magazines. They are 15 round magazines, made to work with any P-35. I have used Mec-Gar magazines in my Sig P226 and find them to be top quality.(they hold 18 rounds) Actually the Sig replacement magazines are stamped with both Sig Sauer and Mec-Gar markings.
I also found it interesting that Springfield Armory has done away with the magazine safety, an improvement in my opinion.
if you would like to read the article I can PM it to you.

@Velo Dog the Magazines are, according to the article, rebranded Mec-Gar magazines. They are 15 round magazines, made to work with any P-35. I have used Mec-Gar magazines in my Sig P226 and find them to be top quality.(they hold 18 rounds) Actually the Sig replacement magazines are stamped with both Sig Sauer and Mec-Gar markings.
I also found it interesting that Springfield Armory has done away with the magazine safety, an improvement in my opinion.
if you would like to read the article I can PM it to you.

Wyatt,

Yes, that’s all good news.
And sure, if you have time please do send the article.

Also, have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Paul.

9 mm AND .22 LR on the same frame...

I do not see the point mentioned so far Alistair, but I would suggest that you consider specifically pistols for which there is a factory (or a very good) .22 LR conversion.

As was already pointed out by others, nothing beats a .22 LR to learn the fundamentals. I would add that nothing beats a .22 LR conversion to perform the high-volume training that will lead to proficiency.

It would be a misunderstanding to discount .22 LR conversions. Some are indeed pieces of junk not worth owning, but many have been produced by the factories that produce the service pistols. For example, SIG made a .22 LR conversion for the 210. So did H&K for the P7. So did CZ for the 75. So did Colt for the 1911. Etc. etc.

Original factory .22 LR conversions show up from time to time on GunBroker.com. I have personally progressed tremendously practicing shooting IPSC on the same steel plates with a .22 LR Colt Ace similar in almost all respects to my Les Baer .45 1911. As yet another example, I have an Advantage Arms .22 LR conversion for each of my Glock 17, 19 and 21 and the kids have fired tens of thousands of tens of rounds through them.

You may need to select which ammo cycles well in which conversion (typically the solid 40 gr high energy ammo such as Remington Thunderbolt or Federal Tactical work better), but you will be amazed at the value they provide. This is to the point that I ended building my Colt Ace .22 LR conversion in a complete pistol on its own frame, to match my 45, when I got tired of constantly swapping the slides on a single frame.

The concept worked so well that I did the same with my Glock 17 when I started shooting IDPA.

.45 and .22 Colt 1911.jpg

.45 Les Baer (bottom) and .22 LR Colt Ace (top). The 22 LR upper started life as a conversion for the .45, but I used it so much that I ended up putting it on its own frame as a "clone" of the .45. Tens of thousands of .22 LR rounds got me at a decent level in .45 IPSC matches...

9 mm and .22 Glock 17.jpg

9 mm Glock 17 (bottom) and .22 LR Glock 17 (top). The 22 LR upper started life as a conversion for the 9, but I used it so much that I ended up putting it on its own frame as a "clone" of the 9. Ideally, I would have preferred a Gen 2 frame on the .22, as I have on the 9, for a perfect match, but it is not a significant discrepancy. Tens of thousands of .22 LR rounds got me at a decent level in 9 mm IDPA matches and made my kids redoubtably proficient with a pistol...

PS: do not be deterred by the horror stories about the trigger of the Glock. It is perfectly fine once you understand how it works... and this is probably THE best all-around 9 mm combat pistol in existence.

Last edited:
Reactions: WAB
I didn't read 114 posts but at a 1500 price point a real nice shooter grade 70 series gold cup or national match could be had colts always hold their value they run smooth as silk.if I had to go with one pistol and I have a bunch it would be my pre 70 national match I paid 900$ 5 yrs ago.it has some finish wear but nothing I've had shoots like it.they are like ar15s u can change calibers grips triggers.anything u want. As long as I don't grind on it it will always be worth what u paid for it.the rest are all part of the Plastic gun of the month club.for pure protection Glock 43 small ,Glock 19 big.revolver Ruger security 6 357.

Well I've now had a chance to play with a couple pistols at the range.

The main take away from my first ever pistol shooting experience; pistols are fun, but harder than they look to shoot well. Much more practice required before I start doing the local comp league I think, but I'm glad I got to have a go, try out various platforms and get some pointers from my work buddies.

As far as my first pistol goes, I'm leaning towards a Beretta 92x performance defensive I think. It ticks all the boxes for me. Nice to shoot, good trigger, good control placement for my hands, optic ready, 15 (or 17) rounds and a good reputation for both accuracy and reliability. They look good as well, which shouldn't matter and yet totally does. Pretty heavy of course, but meh, comp gun.

Time to start shopping around I think and thanks for all your advice!

Al.

Your experience is where a 22 Lr pistol would come in quite handy.

Not enough recoil to even notice and ammo cheap enough that you can shoot a thousand rounds to get proficient with it. Compare that with a 9mm and you have extra recoil plus you are going to spend quite a few dollars to shoot that thousand rounds.

pistols are fun, but harder than they look to shoot well.

I agree:
My theory:
Those who learn (or can) shoot pistols accurately and well, will easy learn to use and shoot rifle.
But it doesnt work other way around.

Pistol is the hardest discipline in sport shooting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JanisIap02

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!