Alistair

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
Scotland, Ireland & England
Hello folks,

Now I'm settling in here in the USA, the next item on the agenda is to start doing some shooting!

I've never owned or shot a pistol before (because UK) and so I'd like to pick something up to have a play with.

Right now this will purely be for plinking and practice, although longer term I might have a look into some practical competition disciplines like IPSC or the like.

Right now I'm thinking that I want the following features:

9x19mm
Full size
Decent capacity (double stack) magazines
Good trigger
Capability to fit a red dot sight if I wish

I'm fairly flexible on budget, but as I'm a newb I reckon $1500 or under would be a decent limit and I can always upgrade later on if I wish.

What would people suggest?

Thanks!
Al.

Sig P320 full size. Checks all of your boxes. I prefer the M17 model with thumb safety. Outstanding ergonomics, great sight picture and a wonderful trigger. Easy pistol to shoot and train with.

There are too many good options available right now. Visit a shop, feel them in your hand and dry fire them.

Well there's the Glock, of course. Not really my style but it might be yours. Couldn't say about the trigger on account of, well, not being my style of pistol.

The new Springfield Armory Hi-Power clone would fit your 9mm Para/fullsize/capacity/price criteria, but they're fairly new on the market and I'm not sure how the trigger would be. And there's no red-dot sight capability.

I believe you can find an HK USP or the upgraded model in 9mm under your budget, or a FNX-9. SIG-Sauer 9mm models, too. But not all of them will fit each criterion. The Glock and RTG's suggestion of the P320 are the only one I know of that'll tick off every box.

Now, me, I like guns with A. a traditional hammer and B. a traditional thumb-operated safety. The SIG P226 is an exception due to it not having a traditional safety. But striker-fired pistols aren't really my thing. And they might not be yours. I'd suggest trying out as many as you can at a gun shop and making friends who can let you try out their guns and find out what fits you the best.

Look for used guns if you can, they'll be cheaper.

I would actually suggest that you start with a 22 Lr. Ruger makes a fantastic 22 target semiautomatic. Or you can go with one of their 22/45's which is built on a larger frame that resembles the Colt 1911

Get to a good size gunshop and hold as many as you can, and see what you can shoot.

As above, the 320 is a great option and fits your criteria and then some. Plenty options from Glock, Sig, Springfield Armory, FN, and more.

I'm all in favor of starting with a 9mm and taking a course on both safety and function, then progressing to more advanced courses. Dry firing will be your best friend. Ive introduced a lot of friends to shooting with a p229 in 9mm, never an issue with males and even most females.

Glock, Springfield XD Series or S&W M&P series...you will not go wrong with any of these. Go to a gun shop that has all three, and see what feels best for you. These are all reputable companies with a large aftermarket for magazine, holsters...etc.

But first, I'd recommend a 22lr that mimics the fit and feel of your choice of the above for (cheap) practice and plinking.

Find a shooting range that rents guns, try them all lol
They typically have all the wants and needs of people, you get to try them out without spending all that money, and you must try for S&G the Desert Eagle .50 cal

I would recommend either a Glock 19 or H&K USP 9 mm. You might be able to get both of these within your budget if you want.

Now finding adequate amount of ammo to plink around might prove to be more difficult than purchasing actual handgun(s).

Antagonist here,

I disagree with the semi-auto recommendations.

I specifically don’t recommend a Glock or Springfield first as they don’t have a manual safety (well in the traditional sense). You’re from a country where every firearm is required to have safeties/automatic safeties. Those pistols are ready to go once the chamber is charged, and that will probably be a big change for you.

We Americans grow up in gun culture with firearms coming out of our ears, but it makes us forget that others don’t have the same experiences. A 22lr revolver is my preferred place to start for someone in your shoes, or an airsoft mimic of the handgun you prefer.

A semi automatic pistol can be dangerous for an uninitiated shooter with no in person training/guide. Pistols have incredibly short sight radius, completely different mechanics, and semi’s are susceptible to jams. You need to be completely comfortable with these things before you shoot live rounds. I have nearly been shot by new handgun owners more times than I like to admit because they didn’t take the time to learn first.

I know you hunt and shoot, but it’s different mechanics at play. Stay safe, and check out Wisconsin’s laws on handguns before you buy anything. It isn’t Texas.

After you have developed your knowledge/comfort/confidence with a handgun, by all means buy the most tricked out race gun you can legally own and afford. IDPA is more fun than IPSC.

Side note: Don’t take guns down the street into Illinois. It’s laws are closer to GB’s than the rest of the US.

Browning Buckmark .22. Sig 2022 for 9mm, then see what else you want. I like the Glock 23 (.40 S&W) with Wolf 9mm replacement barrel for versatility.

Antagonist here,

I specifically don’t recommend a Glock or Springfield first as they don’t have a manual safety (well in the traditional sense). You’re from a country where every firearm is required to have safeties/automatic safeties. Those pistols are ready to go once the chamber is charged, and that will probably be a big change for you.

We Americans grow up in gun culture with firearms coming out of our ears, but it makes us forget that others don’t have the same experiences. A 22lr revolver is my preferred place to start for someone in your shoes, or an airsoft mimic of the handgun you prefer.

A semi automatic pistol can be dangerous for an uninitiated shooter with no in person training/guide. Pistols have incredibly short sight radius, completely different mechanics, and semi’s are susceptible to jams. You need to be completely comfortable with these things before you shoot live rounds. I have nearly been shot by new handgun owners more times than I like to admit because they didn’t take the time to learn first.

I know you hunt and shoot, but it’s different mechanics at play. Stay safe, and check out Wisconsin’s laws on handguns before you buy anything. It isn’t Texas.

After you have developed your knowledge/comfort/confidence with a handgun, by all means buy the most tricked out race gun you can legally own and afford. IDPA is more fun than IPSC.

Side note: Don’t take guns down the street into Illinois. It’s laws are closer to GB’s than the rest of the US.
Great point about the safety. Nevermind the Glock then. Buy at least your first one with a manual safety or maybe consider a revolver. Lots of great revolvers out there! And I strongly encourage you to take a handgun shooting course. They emphasis safety, sight picture, reloading, safety and more safety.

Antagonist here,

Thanks for this advice, I appreciate you taking the time!

My plan is probably still to start with a 9mm, but there's a couple of folks at work who shoot competitively and have offered to take me out a couple times, run through the basics and give me some pointers. It's also a chance to try out their kit before I sink any cash myself.

The local range also does a 'pistol 101' type course over a day which I'll probably take out of interest. It's only a couple hundred bucks and includes some range time with an instructor and they have rental guns available, so money well spent I reckon!

More broadly, I don't intend for this to be anything other than a range gun at least until I gain a couple years of trigger time, so as far as carry laws, safe handling of a self defense piece in the day to day, that's not a consideration right now. I am thinking I might sort out my concealed carry license next year or the year after just out of interest, but range practice and familiarisation with the gun first.

I've played around with airsoft and air pistol replicas extensively in the past, but I'm under no illusions that that's a substitute for real pistol experience. Still, you gotta start somewhere, right?

Al.

Walther PPQ M2 Q5 Match. Polymer version is under $1k and the steel frame is $1.5k.

Suggest you check out Hickok45, he probably has a video on most of the guns recommended here.

I think the best thing to do is find an instructor to go through the basics, handgun safety, loading & unloading, presentation, sight alignment, sight picture, trigger press, etc. with you. Also ask him/her if they have a variety of handguns to try. If not then go to a gun range with him or her and rent and try several. You want the gun to reasonably fit your hand. You also want to know some of the idiosyncrasy's of the firearm. Example, if you are a left handed shooter, like me, some attributes will be addressed somewhat differently. I use my trigger finger's knuckle to lock the slide back and to press the magazine release button. All of this will be money well spent and should save you the agony and regret of purchasing something you won't like.

Don't be afraid to try out revolvers either. While they are somewhat more delicate, in my opinion, they are very simple in operation with fewer ways for malfunctions. I have, severe arthritis in my hands and have lost much of my ability to work the slide on my self loading handguns. I am transitioning to revolvers now and am enjoying them very much.

I shoot a Sig 9mm and a Kimber 1911 45ACP. I have a couple of other ones too but these seem to get to ride in the truck more than the others.
Whatever you choose, take all the time you need to find the best fit and comfort.

Last edited:
I think you are smart to check out your buddies kits. So much of which pistol is the best for me is the fit and feel in the hand. Handle a bunch. Stick to known quality brands. SIG, Glock, S&W, Springfield, etc. If you just plan to shoot for fun and accuracy, make sure and try a 1911 for that sweet single action trigger.

Myself, I stay with S&W or Glock. A Glock 17 MOS or a Glock 43X MOS would be good Glocks to look at, one double stack one single stack, both with easy to get mags that hold 15+ and able to take optics. Both my fav carry guns are S&W’s, a Shield in 40 and a Bodyguard in 380, because both have manual safeties. Also have a Glock 19 and 43X around the house and truck. That’s where I ended up anyway. Have fun.

Excellent advice.

I’ve enjoyed hunting small game with a revolver .22 magnum pistol. That could be a good start too.
+1 on a .22lr pistol, they are fun to shoot and you won’t lose money on buying one.
I think @Tanks is an avid pistol shooter and should weigh in here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Efren35C00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross