Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA, DSC
Hunted
USA (Kansas, Virginia, Texas)
I bought a NECG peep sight for my CZ550 in .375 H&H and just recently had the change to take it to the range. A couple of the comments on Brownell's when I bought the sight said the sight made the gun shoot very high and I found this to be the case as well.
I can't get the sight to shoot less than 4 inches high at 25 yards. At 50, I'm off the paper. I assume that will come down eventually, but where? :)
I was wondering if anyone else had such a problem and if they had been able to solve it. I have tried purchasing a taller front sight, but the units from NECG do not fit (or at least I'm not willing to hammer them in!)
At this point, I'm back to the factory express sights, which are fine except I have trouble finding the front sight quickly in bright light - I plan to put some bright fingernail polish on the tip to help with that - does anyone have a color recommendation?

And yes, I plan to scope the rifle someday, but I like the open sights for hog hunting (and think they might come in pretty handy if I ever get to go on that dangerous game hunt that's on my bucket list.

Hi , white works good for me and helps when you get into low light conditions

I prever the leaf sight over the ghost ring I tend to be on the target quicker just my personal preference

Keep well

Hunting with open sights can be very rewarding and doesn't reduce accuracy as much as you may think.

Small camel shot with conventional express sights on my 9.3x62. Shoulder shot put him down.
Head shot finished him, all at 110 paces in open country.

I have a removable XS aperture rear sight on my 7x57 and a gold coloured (Recknagel) front bead on my custom 7x57 and 9.3x62. Conventional wisdom claims an aperture is quicker to get-on-target than a leaf but I believe it all comes down to how much you practise with your rifle.

With any front bead be aware that depending on the position of the sun, shadow can often obscure part of the bead and you find yourself centering on what you can see (what is not in shadow) and not the 'whole' area of the bead. This can cause you to shoot off even at close distances.

Attachments

• 311872-1.jpg
    311872-1.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 693
Last edited:
Assume you have it cranked down all the way? Weird they would build something like that with a built in fault. But the higher front sight will fix it. Strangely over the years I have gotten better with express sights than when I was younger with acute vision.

Assume you have it cranked down all the way? Weird they would build something like that with a built in fault. But the higher front sight will fix it. Strangely over the years I have gotten better with express sights than when I was younger with acute vision.
I cranked it down all the way, however, matt85 gave me the solution - apparently CZ makes front sights which are different heights for just such an occasion. I may try marking the front sight better first, though. I shot the rifle again today using the express sights and the only real problem is picking up the front sight quickly - I think some bright white model paint may fix that.

NECG (Recknagel) front sights for the CZ are slightly oversize, so they can be fitted tightly on rifles made over the years. It takes only a few minutes to fit them to your rifle: just take a medium grit stone, or a 240-320 wet-and-dry sandpaper, put them on a flat surface, and sand away a little at the bottom of the dovetail by rubbing the sight on the abrasive until it fits...

Et voilà!

I bought a NECG peep sight for my CZ550 in .375 H&H and just recently had the change to take it to the range. A couple of the comments on Brownell's when I bought the sight said the sight made the gun shoot very high and I found this to be the case as well.
I can't get the sight to shoot less than 4 inches high at 25 yards. At 50, I'm off the paper. I assume that will come down eventually, but where? :)
I was wondering if anyone else had such a problem and if they had been able to solve it. I have tried purchasing a taller front sight, but the units from NECG do not fit (or at least I'm not willing to hammer them in!)
At this point, I'm back to the factory express sights, which are fine except I have trouble finding the front sight quickly in bright light - I plan to put some bright fingernail polish on the tip to help with that - does anyone have a color recommendation?

And yes, I plan to scope the rifle someday, but I like the open sights for hog hunting (and think they might come in pretty handy if I ever get to go on that dangerous game hunt that's on my bucket list.

Have a look at the Williams range. At the end of the day the ring on my .458 sat right down on the breech back strap! Using the standard front sight!
I like the peep sight as it's what we trained with used military times. Very quick to acquire the target and your vision automatically centers the bead in the ring. With the peep do learn to shoot with both eyes open...you gather more light that way!

Jay,
I have also tried those sights as well as the rear peep. None of those front sights will fit you will have to file them to get them to fit.
A small set of files from the hardware store will work. Even the front sights from CZ will usually take some filing. I couldn't get my rear peep to stay tight and it is virtually impossible to get it lined up on target as fast as the factory express sights. I decided to leave the express sights on my CZ and purchased all the front sights they made and that's worked the best for me as far as sight adjustment.

Jay,
I have also tried those sights as well as the rear peep. None of those front sights will fit you will have to file them to get them to fit.
A small set of files from the hardware store will work. Even the front sights from CZ will usually take some filing. I couldn't get my rear peep to stay tight and it is virtually impossible to get it lined up on target as fast as the factory express sights. I decided to leave the express sights on my CZ and purchased all the front sights they made and that's worked the best for me as far as sight adjustment.

I had the same problem - I've finally bitten the bullet and bought a Trijicon AccuPower 1x4 on Warne Quick Detach Rings while retaining the standard express sights. I love it now.

The 550 is on top. The other rifle is a 557 in .30-06 currently mounting an older BSA 3x9x50. Hoping to upgrade to Trijicon on it within a year or so.

Big Brother Little Brother II.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a similar problem several years back. I called Brownells and spoke to someone in their Technical Service Department. He talked me through several measurements and based on the distance to the target and the height of the bullet hole above center recommend a taller front sight. You may have some fitting to do but nothing to difficult.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg