Packing ammunition for flight?

When did they started asking to see boots? I have never been asked for that before and went as late as '11.

Some guys get the treatment on the way back into the US. Fear about bugs on your boots.

I have seen pads in trays of disinfectant that you have to walk through.

We came thru Atlanta last week, after customs checked the guns and cleared them we thought we could by pass Agriculture, no way, befor you leave the area there are three custom officers that want to see the Ag. dept. form, if not, you Are directed to the Ag group,your luggage is scanned and you boots are inspected and hand sprayed, then bagged. They pointed out seeds and sand remaining on the boots. Asked if we h ad any hides, or fresh food from SA. Really I can not think you can bypass the area without boot inspection, we were given a form to give to customs to prove they had been sprayed.

So to recap:

When you fly AtL to Jo'burg on Delta you put a proprietary lock on your two rifle case and make sure it weighs less than 50 pounds.

You put your 11 pounds of ammo in a pelican 1400 and you put a tsa lock on that. You put that ammo in your checked bag and put a tsa lock on that checked bag.

Did that summarize best practices?

Also, did you carry on all your optics and hearing protection to keep it all safe and sound?

So to recap:

When you fly AtL to Jo'burg on Delta you put a proprietary lock on your two rifle case and make sure it weighs less than 50 pounds.

You put your 11 pounds of ammo in a pelican 1400 and you put a tsa lock on that. You put that ammo in your checked bag and put a tsa lock on that checked bag.

Also, did you carry on all your optics and hearing protection to keep it all safe and sound?

Yep that is the way I have done it. TSA locks on the ammo box in the checked suite case

So to recap:

As Charles sez this sums it up well.

I definitely carried on all optics not attached, binos, rangefinder, etc. I also wore a shirt I could hunt in, as well as my boots, and then put a pair of hunting pants/shorts in my backpack. Everything I needed to hunt. Idea was if all my luggage got lost the PH could hand me a rifle and I'd be ready to go.

Same here Royal one has to be prepared for late luggage! I did the same thing. Things of value I kept with me.

Same here Royal one has to be prepared for late luggage! I did the same thing. Things of value I kept with me.

And I forgot who it was, but someone here told a story about his hunting boots getting ruined while IN his carry-on!!!! Heard that story and made sure mine were on my feet!!!! :E Shocked:

I put the ammo in a small plastic ammo box from Cabela's then locked that with a keyed padlock. That goes in the bottom part of a rolling duffel. I travel through JFK which is a PITA and have not had a problem. I don't lock the duffel. They are going to open it regardless. I doubt the lock deters anyone overseas. Carry your binos and camera, etc. as a carryon. Never check any of that sort of thing on any flight.

I just got all my ammo loaded tonight and am packing it up. my question is can i use these ammo boxes packed like this?

View attachment 27901
Do not think you will run out of ammo looks like you have 180 round. Make sure you weigh it and it is less than 11 pounds. Put a luggage tag on it and bring a lock for it just in case SAA makes you check it separate from your checked luggage good luck on your hunt

I would tape on the outside you name address etc, we lost a luggage tag off a suitcase last year, had it not been for name address taped to outside of suitcase thaerevwould have been a problem, Black case like fifty others. Take a couple extra padlocks just in case.

I am taking two firearms one for me and one for my son ( under 18) so both are in my name. I am taking 80 rounds for each, however I am putting the ammo all in the same case. That is 11.6 lbs. of ammo but for two firearms. Is it 11 lbs. total or per firearm?

How long did you say you were staying? How many animals? If you sight in before you go unless your taking 20 animals you will not need 80 rounds each! 40 on one and 60 on your favorite will be plenty! It is 11 pounds total. Use a TSA lock on the box inside suite case

Last edited:
that's the rules from Australia , aswell.....
like Charlie says , you should nt need that much chaff , 50 rounds each will be heaps ,you will stil;l have some to leave as a gift .........

Sorry Nyati I will be at variance with what you said. Yes it's always forbidden to put ammo in the luggage. 5 Kg ammo + case is correct as well.
But from 2 years Air France accept ammo inside the riffle case. They shall be in a rigid box and each cartridge shall be separate from the others. I did it twice from Paris to Dakar. I did it as well from Paris to Lisboa with TAP. But I had to talk a lot in Lisboa on the way back.
I use a plastic box containing 50 cartriges.
It is easier to travel with only one luggage and one riffle case.
I would like to know if it will be ok for a next domestic flight from Joburg or if I need to bring a separate case with ammo.

I would like to know if it will be ok for a next domestic flight from Joburg or if I need to bring a separate case with ammo.

Ammunition must be separated from weapons and although permissible to be packed within checked baggage under aviation regulation, SHOULD be packed as a separate piece of checked baggage in a secure lockable container or ammunition case. No ammunition may be packed loosely in checked baggage, or within the same case as firearms.

We strongly recommend that ammunition be packed in lockable cases which can be handed in as loose items at the firearm counters to avoid possible delays during checked baggage screening.

http://www.flysaa.com/lv/en/flyingSAA/baggage/firearms.html

I am taking two firearms one for me and one for my son ( under 18) so both are in my name. I am taking 80 rounds for each, however I am putting the ammo all in the same case. That is 11.6 lbs. of ammo but for two firearms. Is it 11 lbs. total or per firearm?

11.0231 Pounds of Ammunition.
Each Ticketed Traveller can carry that much Ammunition. It has zero to do with the firearm.
Each Package/Container produced for travel can not exceed that weight restriction. It is an IATA guideline across the planet. (All member airlines)

The fact that you have an underage person will mean that he will not have his own SAPS520 and can not import his own Ammunition or firearm into RSA. So, you are stuck with one 5Kg limit.
Reduced your weight by .6 or you will be doing so at the Airport.

Have fun.

Thanks a lot Brickburn. Very clear.
This is what I did in the past and I still have the special ammo box.

Thanks Brickburn
You are correct, I finally got a straight answer from Jet Blue. And you are probably correct about my son not having a 520 so therefore can not import ammo. I will reduce by a box of shells which will more than put me under the limit. I have however already sent a copy of my SAPS 520 to the permit company I hired who was going to file it with the SA police. I will now have to change that piece of the 520 to account for less ammo. I hope that does not cause me issues as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OmaMcGill

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg