Deals & offers
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Canada, Colorado, Wyoming, Texas, Kansas
Have a question for my fellow AH'ers. My son recently went to taxidermy school and I had a client shoot some animals he did not want to pay for so I thought I would have shipped over for him to practice on. Problem I am running into all USDA taxidermist that a I have contacted will only accept if they are doing the work. As he is just getting started obviously he is not USDA cert. yet . Does anyone know of a taxidermist that will clear trophies in the DFW area ? Thanks in advance.

Dalton 3S.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking @gizmo might be the guy to assist you.

The Flagg Group in DFW will clear trophies and release them to you

If there is no pigs or primates l do not think you need a USDA taxidermist. I will have a cape buffalo and blue wildebeest delivered to my house.

If there is no pigs or primates l do not think you need a USDA taxidermist. I will have a cape buffalo and blue wildebeest delivered to my house.
That is all currently in the process of changing though even the USDA isn’t sure what they’re going to do. Go figure

Basically I just went through all my certification process and the thought process now is that ALL African trophies are going to have to go through a USDA facility.
Now before anyone panics nothing is set in stone, yet, but from what I was told there are biiig changes on the horizon.

Have a question for my fellow AH'ers. My son recently went to taxidermy school and I had a client shoot some animals he did not want to pay for so I thought I would have shipped over for him to practice on. Problem I am running into all USDA taxidermist that a I have contacted will only accept if they are doing the work. As he is just getting started obviously he is not USDA cert. yet . Does anyone know of a taxidermist that will clear trophies in the DFW area ? Thanks in advance.

View attachment 238772
BTW his deer looks great!

Yes Erik is the man to help.

Been that way for many years now. Take my word or not, If you got a shipment of raw skins form africa delivered to your home and you especially live in a rural area, Rural area. If you got a buffalo in from Africa , the USDA is especially concerned about Hoof and Mouth Desease . You will be visited by the USDA at some point. Maybe months maybe 3 -5 years from now but can come visit you. I personally know of people that have had this happen and the broker was fined and the trophies even tho they were mounted and the taxidermy process has already been done , they were confiscated. I've had the USDA here once when a shipment from Australia showed up shipped thru broker tony address instead of my tannery. I drove it directly to my USDA import station, my tannery, and then proceeded with the process. They took note of that and with some begging they didn't take the shipment into possession.

Most tanneries are USDA import facilities. Skins will need to be tanned anyway- you could try North Texas Tannery in Denton or there are several in the Houston area that will clear shipment. I personally use Quality Fur Dressers in Spring, Tx.

I quess I should of been more clear the trophies were already mounted.

The USDA let some cattle into a ranch by me that had bangs. Some had to have their herds tested. Maybe they ought to worry more about that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross