Daktari

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Hunted
US: FL, ME
My Osceola is finished! I'm very happy with how he came out and can't wait to have him home.
IMG_3111.jpeg

Excellent work, one of the better mounts I have seen, is the head real or artificial ?

Down here we have thousands of Wild Turkeys & Peacocks, we don't really understand the Turkey Hunting in the US, there were a lot of hunters from the US hunting here in the old days & I used to guide a few .

I do find the Peacock are especially clever .

My understanding is that they are freeze dried real heads!

Excellent work, one of the better mounts I have seen, is the head real or artificial ?

Down here we have thousands of Wild Turkeys & Peacocks, we don't really understand the Turkey Hunting in the US, there were a lot of hunters from the US hunting here in the old days & I used to guide a few .

I do find the Peacock are especially clever .
So where are you with wild turkeys and peacocks? My uncle used to keep a few peacocks around the home thing camp cabin,, but eventually the foxes, racoons, bobcats, and coyotes got them all.

Right now I'm in New Zealand & that's where we have all the Turkeys & a fair few Peacocks, I'm surprised the predators cleaned up your Uncles birds as they are amazingly smart, with incredible eye sight & come from Asian Forests with all their predators ?

Right now I'm in New Zealand & that's where we have all the Turkeys & a fair few Peacocks, I'm surprised the predators cleaned up your Uncles birds as they are amazingly smart, with incredible eye sight & come from Asian Forests with all their predators ?
I'm not sure which of the many predators got them, but we found a few piles of feathers where something did. Also a lot of the young birds just disapeared. Of course, the peacocks were cheap in comparison to another aunt that lost two horses to a mountain lion.

My friends in Africa and Central America always make me smile when they tell me Americans (US) don't understand wildlife conflicts. Those that live in the states with grizzlies and wolves have even more issues.

My Osceola is finished! I'm very happy with how he came out and can't wait to have him home.
View attachment 600291
Beautiful mount. He reminds me of a similar mount to that in a research station in North Florida I worked in 20+ years ago. We named him Jebediah.

One of these days I have to get down there and hunt an Osceola. Always been fascinated by them.

WOW its a beauty
congratulations

Osceola can be a challenging sub species to hunt. I’m my opinion the further south and east you hunt. The more Wiley the birds.

The more west. You can almost slap two frying pan’s together and turkeys will gobble. And that’s half the battle.

We called one in yesterday away from his hens for my friend's son. Our birds are between SE and western birds. Not as hard to kill as the SE
IMG_4016.jpeg

What general area did you get your bird? Mine was west of Lake Okeechobee

I'm not sure which of the many predators got them, but we found a few piles of feathers where something did. Also a lot of the young birds just disapeared. Of course, the peacocks were cheap in comparison to another aunt that lost two horses to a mountain lion.

My friends in Africa and Central America always make me smile when they tell me Americans (US) don't understand wildlife conflicts. Those that live in the states with grizzlies and wolves have even more issues.

In Kansas the bobcats target them. I am not sure how many they account for, but the population is certainly healthy.

I had one during turkey hunting one spring that tried to use me as a launching pad to attack one of my decoys. I wound up with scratches on my shoulder and head from where he planted himself during the course of his aborted attempt. I am certain he got the worst of it though, and needed years of therapy to get past the trauma; my scratches were gone in days. Still one of the craziest things I have ever had happen.

And that is a tremendous looking turkey mount. Congrats good sir. That'll keep you smiling for a whole lotta years to come.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hattie05G

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.