Ordered my LAST African Safari rifle at DSC this year...

Last year, when I went to SCI, I stopped at Wesley Richards booth as I wanted to place an order for a double and an extra barrel. They said they were all sold outand the earliest I could have one would be in 6 years, 2028 when I would be 71!!!.

That was not acceptable, and I was disappointed. Later on, at the Rigby booth, I talked to Jerome Lanue and he was telling me about his projects at Rigby. One was a development of a boxlock double like Rigby used to make a while ago. He said he would have it all figured out by this year's show.

Well, this year at DSC (wasn't going to wait for SCI) I made a beeline for Riby booth. Lo and behold, Jerome had a sample of one. I handled it and it was like the skies opened and an angel of light shined upon it.:giggle: Jerome told me that he was planning an initial run of 20 in .500 NE for them, and a few had already been reserved. I asked him if I could have one with an extra .450/400 barrel. He thought about it, and yes he could. He promised to have it ready for me in 2025.

I have a rule, never make a large purchase the same day I see something. I told Jerome I would think about it and would see him tomorrow. The next day I was there right away and ready to commit. We talked about the particulars during which @Red Leg showed up. I offered my credit card for deposit and Jerome stated that a handshake between gentlemen was enough and he would send me a written invoice for deposit at a later date. A handshake deal in this day and age, so refreshing.

I did try to talk @Red Leg into buying one as well, but to no avail. :ROFLMAO:

Since then we ironed out most of the details, I had picked number 11 as my number. I will spend a few days in London in June to get measured and we still need to decide on engraving, but we have time.

Oh, after DSC Jerome told me that all of them are sold now. Any new ones will be at least a 3 year delivery. Below are the build details. I decided to do my Lion hunt in 2025, and use the .500 NE barrel for bait and the .450/400 NE 3" for the lion.

View attachment 515286

Perfect combo of calibers. You’ll have a blast with this rifle.

@Tanks Congratulations my friend cant wait to see the pics. Im glad Mr Newton is sorting you out a nice rifle

Tanks..do you know in what calibers the Shikari will be offered in..? What will Rigby basically charge for these rifles..?

Initially .500 NE and probably every caliber that requires a large action, but for details ask Jerome. Not sure what the cost will be going forward seeing the initial run of 20 sold out at DSC.

A Shikari in .600NE should be fun.. :Cigar:

"last rifle"...I can just hear Sam Kenison screaming "Ah, hahahahahahahah!!!"

It sounds like a really nice gun, to bad it is impossible to find any pictures of it :(

Last year, when I went to SCI, I stopped at Wesley Richards booth as I wanted to place an order for a double and an extra barrel. They said they were all sold outand the earliest I could have one would be in 6 years, 2028 when I would be 71!!!.

That was not acceptable, and I was disappointed. Later on, at the Rigby booth, I talked to Jerome Lanue and he was telling me about his projects at Rigby. One was a development of a boxlock double like Rigby used to make a while ago. He said he would have it all figured out by this year's show.

Well, this year at DSC (wasn't going to wait for SCI) I made a beeline for Riby booth. Lo and behold, Jerome had a sample of one. I handled it and it was like the skies opened and an angel of light shined upon it.:giggle: Jerome told me that he was planning an initial run of 20 in .500 NE for them, and a few had already been reserved. I asked him if I could have one with an extra .450/400 barrel. He thought about it, and yes he could. He promised to have it ready for me in 2025.

I have a rule, never make a large purchase the same day I see something. I told Jerome I would think about it and would see him tomorrow. The next day I was there right away and ready to commit. We talked about the particulars during which @Red Leg showed up. I offered my credit card for deposit and Jerome stated that a handshake between gentlemen was enough and he would send me a written invoice for deposit at a later date. A handshake deal in this day and age, so refreshing.

I did try to talk @Red Leg into buying one as well, but to no avail. :ROFLMAO:

Since then we ironed out most of the details, I had picked number 11 as my number. I will spend a few days in London in June to get measured and we still need to decide on engraving, but we have time.

Oh, after DSC Jerome told me that all of them are sold now. Any new ones will be at least a 3 year delivery. Below are the build details. I decided to do my Lion hunt in 2025, and use the .500 NE barrel for bait and the .450/400 NE 3" for the lion.

View attachment 515286

Do you know when you will be provided with stock options? I assume you will be going for custom stock fitting or at the very least sending measurements to Rigby?

Do you know when you will be provided with stock options? I assume you will be going for custom stock fitting or at the very least sending measurements to Rigby?
I am in London now. I will meet with Jerome on Monday, 19th after 10AM at the shop to get measured, select stock and talk about engraving.

I am in London now. I will meet with Jerome on Monday, 19th after 10AM at the shop to get measured, select stock and talk about engraving.

Awesome, super exciting, can’t wait to see and hear more.

I'm sure it will be amazing. Congrats on the custom order and a lion hunt to look forward to!

Well, I met with Jerome today. After a quick tour of the facilities we spent a couple of hours getting myself measured by mounting a number of doubles, me with white gloves on. One of the doubles I tried on was a very nice .600 NE. Someone is going to be very happy.

Once we nailed down the measurements he brought down a number of blanks. I picked one whose pattern I liked. Also, that blank was large enough that there would be enough wood for both foreends.

We also discussed the regulation of the rifles. It will be with Hornady ammo.

The only thing left is for me to send an image of the engraving I want and measure my Heym’s barrel length when I get back home as I wasn’t 100% sure that it was 26”.

The stock should be ready July 2024, and finished firearm sometime December of 2024. Just in time for the booking of a 2025 lion hunt.

Well, I met with Jerome today. After a quick tour of the facilities we spent a couple of hours getting myself measured by mounting a number of doubles, me with white gloves on. One of the doubles I tried on was a very nice .600 NE. Someone is going to be very happy.

Once we nailed down the measurements he brought down a number of blanks. I picked one whose pattern I liked. Also, that blank was large enough that there would be enough wood for both foreends.

We also discussed the regulation of the rifles. It will be with Hornady ammo.

The only thing left is for me to send an image of the engraving I want and measure my Heym’s barrel length when I get back home as I wasn’t 100% sure that it was 26”.

The stock should be ready July 2024, and finished firearm sometime December of 2024. Just in time for the booking of a 2025 lion hunt.
Congratulations sir. What an experience. Can’t wait to see the finished product

Congratulations Tanks,
Let the journey and the waiting begin. It will pass a lot quicker than you think, especially when the progress reports and pictures start to come in. Visiting the factory to get measured is absolutely the way to go. I am sure it will be everything you hoped for.

JP

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeeWedel71

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois