Options for red stag

I don’t agree with that statement @rookhawk, I’ve been hunting deer and stags 5 or 6 times in Schotland, always at the same place and these are not fenced in, in any way.

The Scottish stags are much smaller than their European brethren, but that has mostly to do with the lack of easy nutrition than anything else. The highlands are quite barren after all.

In continental Europe, you can find free range stags to hunt, but the more you see lots of pictures of throphy heads, talk about CIC points and medal class, the bigger the chance is it will indeed be in a (very large) park.

This one was mine from 2016 or something, a very good one for the highlands, but nothing in comparison with continental stags.

View attachment 496929

And yes scotch in the evening, bagpipes on arrival and departure, burning peat in the fireplace. There is something very magical about hunting the Scottish highlands. And ponies too ;)

View attachment 496930

That is an outstanding hill stag sir!

Scotland is high fence, but then again so is all of Europe. The question is how big the fence and how unmolested the game. Someone will speak up and mention the name of the guy that does the Scottish hunts on and adjacent to Balmoral. That's where you want to be for a spiritual experience. Take the experience away and its just some bastardized farm-raised animal that has been deposited all over the world to be killed for pleasure or meat.

No more :D Drunk::D Passed Out: and posting...

One other thing that I should have mentioned - in Scotland, one 'beat' (ie. the ground that you cover by walking and spying) should be around 5,000 acres. You do not want to stalk the same ground over consecutive days, so QED you need around 15,000 acres of ground for one party over a week. If you want to have two parties out, over a week, you are looking at 25,000 acres.

This is rule of thumb only; but a pretty accurate one. Be wary of anyone offering - say - two parties for a week over 15,000 acres.

Yeah, in Scotland we had many run ins with red deer while driving. Fences aren’t the issue there, it’s being able to come home after you’ve been there for a week and not be utterly depressed with the daily grind. The area between Skye and Inverness comes to mind (especially when you take a wrong turn and head north towards Ullapool and end up going the back way).

Ugh, I need to come up with the scratch to book another fricken trip. Just need to sell a kidney or something.

Foolish to hunt stag anywhere else:
And Estonia is awesome to visit also!

My stag now hangs in my great room. Got a moose on the same trip. Hunted on Hiiumaa Island and never saw a fence. PM me if you want contact info.

Last edited:
Foolish to hunt stag anywhere else:
And Estonia is awesome to visit also!

My stag now hangs in my great room. Got a moose on the same trip. Hunted on Hiiumaa Island and never saw a fence. PM me if you want contact info.
Would you consider the prices low like scotland, average like eastern bloc / Argentina, or high like fenced estate hunt?

Hi Backyardsniper......I am Rocket from Argentina and I have been working for MG Hunting Argentina during 18 years.
We are well knonw for our free range Red Stag hunting in la Pampa Province.
We hunt over 38400 acres for free range hunting plus 12000 acres for estate hunting.
We still have some dates open for next rut season in comming March........Rut take a place from March to mid April for those who wants hunting only during the rut.
Beyond this it is perfectly possible to hunt red stad untill ending July without rut and also in the estate fild if you want to impruve your trophy.
It is not recomended to hunt Stags in August because Stags antlers starts to droop of.
You can find several hunting reports about our hunts by differents forum members in the South America a hunting reports seccion.
If you need more information just make know

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeraldineI

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!