Options for 35 Whelen-9.3x62

Not hate from what I read. The 35 Whelen is "American" and the 9.3 "European". Until recently the 9.3 was not in the lime-light as the 35. From Boddington... consider the 9.3 an upgraded 35. I have both CZ and Steyr 9.3s and they are tack drivers. With CFE and CCI 200, I've gotten the 286 gr Barnes TSX up to 2400 fps (your mileage may vary and be careful). The 9.3 hasn't gotten the attention it has in the rest of the world. A lot more bullet styles for the 35. However, as a thumper, the 9.3 has better sectional density. The 250 gr 358 is 0.279, The 286 9.3 is 0.305 and the 300 is 0.320. Nice to be above 0.300 when hunting bigger stuff.
@DrBob
Correction
The 275gn Woodleigh sd .307
310gn Woodleigh sd .346
Plenty of sd and wallop.

@DrBob How bout a 275g Woodleigh PPSP out of the Whelen at close to 2,600fps, same sd as the 286.
Or the 310 Woodleigh RN in the Whelen with higher sd than the 9.3 and 300gn 375. Sd of the 310 is around .307
2,455fps out of the Whelen with a healthy dose of H4350. Chronoed.
Bob
View attachment 495008
Nice...very nice. That puts that Whelen into 358 Norma territory with better efficiency. Zimbabwe uses both caliber and energy for setting limits. Frankly, with modern bullet and powder technology, there should be newer standards created for use in the field. It's no longer the days of John Taylor.

E.A. Brown sells Encore barrels for the Whelen and several other companies make custom barrels for it and the 9.3x62 (SSK, Bullberry).

SD: Wt in pounds x 1 / (dia squared)
310.0 0.358 0.346 <SD
0.0443 0.1282 0.346 <SD Proof

@Bob Nelson 35Whelen

The SD on a 310 grain .358 calculates as .346. Impressive!
I would not want to use it at above the velocity it was designed for, however. At least not on buffalo.

The book I just finished, "9.3x62 Journal", points out numerous bullet failures - especially with cup and core 375s - due to excess velocity over what the bullet was designed for.

310.0 0.358 0.346 <SD

@Bob Nelson 35Whelen

I would not want to use it at above the velocity it was designed for, however. At least not on buffalo.

The book I just finished, "9.3x62 Journal", points out numerous bullet failures - especially with cup and core 375s - due to excess velocity over what the bullet was designed for.
@shootist~
Game is not normally shot at the muzzle but yes it boxes happen at times. Woodleigh recommend an impact velocities of 2,200 to 1800fps for the 310s. These are a bonded bullet not a standard cup and core.
I have used the 225gn Woodleigh PPSP at 200plus fps over recommend impact velocities with no detrimental affect. Even at impact the projectile was still over 100fps over recommend impact on a huge zebra stallion. The bullet performance was perfect and found under the skin on the off side.
Some bullets will NOT handle the higher impact speeds but Woodleigh do a fine job.
Bob

310.0 0.358 0.346 <SD

@Bob Nelson 35Whelen

@shootist~
20200409_085629.jpg

225gn Woodleigh launched at over 2,900fps and impacted at over 2,700fps well over recommended impact velocity. Retained weight was 178gn 0r about 74%. Identical performance as the 225gn accubond.
Bob

@shootist~
Game is not normally shot at the muzzle but yes it boxes happen at times. Woodleigh recommend an impact velocities of 2,200 to 1800fps for the 310s. These are a bonded bullet not a standard cup and core.
I have used the 225gn Woodleigh PPSP at 200plus fps over recommend impact velocities with no detrimental affect. Even at impact the projectile was still over 100fps over recommend impact on a huge zebra stallion. The bullet performance was perfect and found under the skin on the off side.
Some bullets will NOT handle the higher impact speeds but Woodleigh do a fine job.
Bob

Bob,
Understood. I'm assuming your purpose for the 310 Woodleigh load is the Aussie Water Buffalo. Guessing the ideal range is as short as possible, same as it is in Africa.

@Bob and Leslie..... I am not an .35Whelen hater...
I love 9mm/.358 cartridges.
I have rifles in .358 Winchester, 9x56 Mannlicher and 9x57R Mauser, unfortunately not a .35Whelen.
But this is an African Hunters forum and the discussions should keep the african perspective in mind.
The 9,3x62 is THE easy to shoot DG cartridge with a well earnd reputation..... the .35Whelen is not.
Looking for an african rifle, I would not hesitate to buy a 9,3x62.... a Mauser, Mannlicher, Blaser, Sako, Tikka, even a claw feed
Winchester :cool: ....unfortunately, I already have two :giggle:

HWL

What makes the 35 Whelan "primitive"? Calibre?

The primitive mind of the politician that doesn’t hunt, but wrote a hunting law…

i have a van patton custom 35 whelen and a rem cdl 700 and a ruger #1 in 35 whelan too, and a rowl custom 9.3x62, and it has been a harder to find .366 bullets at local gun shops and buy them when i can.

@frhunter13
No such thing as overkill. The 250 would do lees meat damage than the 200s.
More power more fun up to a point.
My mate Greg had a CVA in 35Whelen, sold it before I had a chance to buy it. Very accurate and sweet shooting.
Bob
Overkill is burned or blooded and wasted meat I agree. So yes overkill is quite common. For a meat hunter anyway . That’s why I would rather a heavier and slower bullet, since here in heavy woods the shots are pretty close range. Really depends on circumstances. Trophy hunting is very different though. The Whelen can throw a 310g Woodleigh bullet 2300 fps. Good for any critter at fairly close range.

I have rifles in .358 Winchester, 9x56 Mannlicher and 9x57R Mauser, unfortunately not a .35Whelen.
But this is an African Hunters forum and the discussions should keep the african perspective in mind.
The 9,3x62 is THE easy to shoot DG cartridge with a well earnd reputation..... the .35Whelen is not.
Looking for an african rifle, I would not hesitate to buy a 9,3x62.... a Mauser, Mannlicher, Blaser, Sako, Tikka, even a claw feed

HWL
Well if we stick to Africa the 9.3 x 62 is the minimum allowed in SA for the thick skin ones of the big 5. The 375 HH is much preferred and is what most of the PH’s carry. I think what we are talking about is the 9.3 vs the Whelen. The Whelen has no rep in Africa because the 9.3 took that minimum rank before Africa even knew about the 35 Whelen. The AI version of the 35 Whelen
absolutely equals the 9.3 by the way. Note there is also a .375 Whelen AI that is a thumper. Different discussion there.

@shootist~
Bob
When I was doing extensive shooting for my article in Man Magnum years ago dealing with upgrading the performance of the 458 Win to Lott level, I had the opportunity to dig up many of the bullets from the berm... with good old dirt being an very tough material. The Barnes monolithic and A-frames held up the best with bonded cores coming in next. The old Hornady and the Woodleighs being turned inside out ... even the solids. As an example, I was driving a 450 grain bullet at close to 2500 fps at muzzle. Heavy and slow is a good formula for regular bullet designs. Barnes TSX bullets have given the Weatherby calibers real value and fulfilling the hype about the rounds. I shot my down and dead buff with a 450 gr TSX frontal at 10 feet.... the bullet plowing though 4 feet of muscle and paunch ..only losing one petal with the rest overly bent back but still there. Again... modern bullets provide a wider range of performance.

@DrBob How bout a 275g Woodleigh PPSP out of the Whelen at close to 2,600fps, same sd as the 286.
Or the 310 Woodleigh RN in the Whelen with higher sd than the 9.3 and 300gn 375. Sd of the 310 is around .307
2,455fps out of the Whelen with a healthy dose of H4350. Chronoed.
Bob
View attachment 495008
I have 2 35whelans and 2 35 rems, but 35s just don’t or haven’t ever done well.I also have 2 350 legends. Maybe these new laws will fix that.

Bob,
Understood. I'm assuming your purpose for the 310 Woodleigh load is the Aussie Water Buffalo. Guessing the ideal range is as short as possible, same as it is in Africa.
@shootist~
Hopefully 50 yards to less than 100 would be ideal on scrubbers. Up close and personal so I can see the whites if their eyes is a bit close for me.
Bob

HWL
@HWL
it is an African hunting forum you are 100% correct but a lot of whelen owners have taken the Whelen to Africa where it has acquitted itself on all plains game.
If the 9.3 works on DG survey a properly loaded Whelen would do the same job. The 350 Rigby Magnum did the job for a long time without complaints with heavy for caliber bullets and the whelen is every bit it's equal. Where it is legal I would have no problems using it on cape buffalo.
Bob

Well if we stick to Africa the 9.3 x 62 is the minimum allowed in SA for the thick skin ones of the big 5. The 375 HH is much preferred and is what most of the PH’s carry. I think what we are talking about is the 9.3 vs the Whelen. The Whelen has no rep in Africa because the 9.3 took that minimum rank before Africa even knew about the 35 Whelen. The AI version of the 35 Whelen
absolutely equals the 9.3 by the way. Note there is also a .375 Whelen AI that is a thumper. Different discussion there.
@frhunter13
There's also a 400 Whelen that's the equal of the 450-400 and no one compains about its performance.
Bob

@Dr Bob
Load the Whelen with 280gn A Frames that have a better sd than a
When I was doing extensive shooting for my article in Man Magnum years ago dealing with upgrading the performance of the 458 Win to Lott level, I had the opportunity to dig up many of the bullets from the berm... with good old dirt being an very tough material. The Barnes monolithic and A-frames held up the best with bonded cores coming in next. The old Hornady and the Woodleighs being turned inside out ... even the solids. As an example, I was driving a 450 grain bullet at close to 2500 fps at muzzle. Heavy and slow is a good formula for regular bullet designs. Barnes TSX bullets have given the Weatherby calibers real value and fulfilling the hype about the rounds. I shot my down and dead buff with a 450 gr TSX frontal at 10 feet.... the bullet plowing though 4 feet of muscle and paunch ..only losing one petal with the rest overly bent back but still there. Again... modern bullets provide a wider range of performance.
@DrBob
Load the Whelen with 280 gn swift A Frames with a better sd than the 300 .375 and 286gn 9.3 or the Woodleigh hydro and you should get all the penetration you need without deformation based on your criteria. The Hydro drills a hole in a straight line for a long way.
Bob

i have a van patton custom 35 whelen and a rem cdl 700 and a ruger #1 in 35 whelan too, and a rowl custom 9.3x62, and it has been a harder to find .366 bullets at local gun shops and buy them when i can.
I scrounged early and often for the odd caliber bullets. With inflation now, glad I did. I have been happy to resort to cast lead shooting to tide me over. The Speer 270 grain have been a life saver.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OrenMays0

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.