I know they don't seem to be popular on here and much like @gizmo said I expect to get crap for it, but I just got a sightron s tac 2-10x32 with a 30mm tube for my .375 h&h. Found it on sale- $243 down from $599. I have had sightron scopes in the past and felt they had the quality of the leupold vx3 line. I know I will be taking longer shots (out to 300yds) with this rifle so I went with the wider range. Hoping it is still adaquate at low power for close up shots

I've owned a Kahles K16i, phenominal! That said, I use Nightforce now. Durability/turrets/smaller footprint.

I strongly recommend the Leopold VX6 1-6x24. (pictured above in CAustin's post)

I use it on my 416 RM and could think of no better scope to use on a medium bore DG rifle. for close range work you run it at 1x with both eyes open. the top range of 6x is plenty for ranges out to 300 yards not that you would be shooting that far with a 40 cal rifle. the difference between my scope and CAustin's scope is mine has a illuminated reticle which I recommend if you ever plan on hunting game at night. with the illuminated reticle on and the power set to 1x you basically have a military red dot optic perfect for defending your self day or night against critters that wish to do you harm.

-matt

I have a couple of the VX6's as well as the old 1.5-5x20 VX3, and a Trijicon 1-4. I second Matt's point on the illuminated reticle but more than just night, it is great against a dark bodied critter like a buffalo, especially in the shadows.

Additionally, with the scope on 1 or 1.5x and both eyes open, I like to show people how dependable such a scope can be by telling them to look through it with both eyes open and then putting my habnd over the end of the scope... You will still see the reticle on the exact same spot. So even if your scopes objective was covered in mud, with an illuminated reticle and bot eyes open you can till shoot with it. Has to do with this.

Grum- the idea of both eyes open shooting has to do with your dominant eye seeing the sights or looking through the scope while the image reported to the brain from the subordinate eye is "noted", the person "sees" what the dominant eye sees. Where this become really apparent is with shotguns- if the shooters subordinate eye is in line with the barrel and target while dominate eye is looking alongside the barrel, the shot will be fired in a different spot than the target.

So buy whatever high quality scope you want but be sure it goes down to at least 1.5x if not all the way down to 1x. And get one with an illuminated reticle. I like the Leupold that shuts itself off automatically when left sitting still and turns on when you move it. And love the Trijicon that has no batteries and always there and always on. I have one Z6i and it is great glass but I seem to forget to turn off the illuminated reticle and then the battery goes dead. Also had to send it back for repairs, which service was great and no cost. But have not had to send in a Leupold yet;)

My Swaro 1-6x24 EE (the only optic I own...quantity 10) is fantastic. Just as reliable for a 340 yard shot on a bushbuck with a .375HH as it is for a 50 yard brain shot on a bull hippo. My 7x57 worked perfectly with this optic for fairly long shots on small plains game and my 300HH worked great for a 70 yard shot on a stinkbull.

Duiker, Impala, Warthog, Hippo. Buffalo, Zebra, Giraffe, Bushbuck, Kudu, Waterbuck, Baboon, Steinbok, Hyena, Black Bear, Elk....every one of them has been harvested by me using a Swarovski 1-6x24 EE with a #4 reticle in one caliber or another.

In short, the OP author is on the right track.

<---- Even one shown in my Avatar photo

Been mentioned already, but I'd like to repeat that an illuminated scope in low light on a dark bodied animal really helps. My experience on black bear in the rain and Kodiak bear in high contrast snow an illuminated reticle seemed to really help. Since my eyes are pushing 70, it also helps.

The reason the swaro z6 AM did z8 straight tube scopes are preferred to 42mm bell shaped exit objectives is that the latter sits higher. A low scope mitigated recoil and typically you can find your target faster. Hence why they are the standard for dangerous game rifles and driven hunt rifles where you must make an instant shot on moving quarry.

@Rick Hill My dad has that scope on his drilling. It is an awesome scope, but highly expensive. You can get other good scopes for less I use a trijicon 1-4x and personally i like it at just over 1/3rd the cost of that z6.
Oh, A drilling rifle with a 1-6x scope - be still my beating heart - I see the double rifle drillings smiling at me from the safe......

That scope looks like a great buy but I am looking at the EE Swarovski and the 120 mm stand off eye relief. My brother got a scope bite from a 300 Win shot quickly - I wonder how many have been cut by their scope? Seems like that might ruin a follow up shot if that was needed.

Rick
I did the Swaro EE 1-6x and it is awesome. Will probably use it on 1.0 with both eyes open. The 404 is very mild, even with the modern 2300 fps loads and the EE is probably not needed. I have had lightweight 3006's that were much worse.

The reason the swaro z6 AM did z8 straight tube scopes are preferred to 42mm bell shaped exit objectives is that the latter sits higher. A low scope mitigated recoil and typically you can find your target faster. Hence why they are the standard for dangerous game rifles and driven hunt rifles where you must make an instant shot on moving quarry.

I don't buy this. All the "straight scopes" have an occular bell so you may as well have a wider objective as well?!?

@Scrumbag on a gun like a drilling the ocular bell often has more clearence then the objective bell would due to the layout of the gun. Its more like putting a scope on a shotgun than it is like putting a scope on a rifle.

When I get a chance ill send you some pictures of my gun to show you what I mean.

While I realize that this thread deals specifically with bolt guns and I am off subject. I have made a statement and will now show what I was talking about. If you look closely between the dead swine you can see what I was talking about. With clearance on this type of gun.
IMG_1567.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Precisely, the occupation objective Bell is close to the comb and therefore can be very low ring height. An exit objective Bell requires taller rings to clear the barrel.

Hence, why high quality straight tube scopes cost so much, they must overcome their lack of light gathering and in return for those costs for superior engineering to overcome that limitation, you get lower ring height.

I like illuminated reticles and have a VX-R 2-7x33 with Firedot 4 reticle. I've found the IR to be useful in low light but don't use it at night. At night I'm using a spotlight and can see the reticle just fine. The illumination then becomes a distraction. YMMV.

I know they don't seem to be popular on here and much like @gizmo said I expect to get crap for it, but I just got a sightron s tac 2-10x32 with a 30mm tube for my .375 h&h. Found it on sale- $243 down from $599. I have had sightron scopes in the past and felt they had the quality of the leupold vx3 line. I know I will be taking longer shots (out to 300yds) with this rifle so I went with the wider range. Hoping it is still adaquate at low power for close up shots

I have a few Sightron scopes and am very pleased with them. Non of them are on large bore rifles though. I was looking to pick up a .375 in the next year, but hadn't heard of anyone using a Sightron on this size of gun until I ran across your post.

My Sightrons are on 7mm Rem Mags, 6.5 Creedmoors, and 5.56mm. I've used them to shoot out to 1k yards (3-16x42), and they track very well. My oldest Sightron is 16 years old and has been on three different guns and has seen thousands of rounds sent downrange.

I purchased another Leuy VX-3 and was again, unimpressed. I've tried to love them, but eye box is dry small, shadows quickly, and wasn't as clear or as bright as the SIII and S-Tac (that are less expensive).

I bought a ATS 65 this year and really love it. Also a Zeiss HD Conquest 10x42 binos which are great. I'd really like all of my glass to be Swaro... But I need to save for trophy fees! So I'll stick with the Sightron for now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brianguisy

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,