Optic Overkill?

To me, the more I get aged, the less magnification I like. Usually, my session at the shooting range is from 100 to 300 meters, and the most powerful scope I own is a S&B 2.5/10 x, on my 300wby. I feel at home shooting up to 350 mt with it. In more recent times I like so much shooting my 8x68S with a Swar 1/6, a magnification I find enough up to 300 and perfect to work on the 200/250 distance. You don't need an high x to shot tight groups, nor to do it in real hunting conditions. In fact, you'll have less wobbling and less perception of your breathe and heartbeat with a low power scope. Moreover, you'll have less field and a less immediate eye relief with an high x ratio. As I am also a bowhunter, I use to shot up to 70 mt with by bowhunting setup - so, zero magnification and no reticle (just a pin) at 70 with a non steady device. Let me say : yes, to me anything more than a 10x, maybe max 14x (despite I don't like the latter all that much...), it's an overkill for hunting - and mostly with a 30.06. Maybe it's just me : but I feel that the real challenge (and fun) is to get as close as possible - not as far as possible...

I put a 3.5-10X 40 Leupold VX3HD on my 25-'06 Ruger No.1. Perfect.

I love Zeiss optics, but I do not like 30mm tubes and overly large objective lenses... bulk and weight are the problem.
@Nevada Mike
My 3-9x40 Zeiss is a one inch tube.
It is the cheaper Terra but an excellent bit of kit for the price.
Bob

I have a pair of Zeiss 10 X 40 rubber armoured binos that I bought in Munich about 20 years ago. God glass and still going strong.

I put a Leupold VX3-HD 4.5-14 x 40 CDS onto my .25-06, I wanted that little bit of extra magnification for those longer shots. The first year that I had it on that rifle I took a coues deer buck at 420 yards.
That magnification range and objective size appear to be the practical maximum for hunting unless you have helicopter/aeroplane OR motor vehicle transport to your base camp and/or hunting area. I remember a guy who had a Sako 75 SS chambered to .223 Remington, which he used for NZDA competition shooting and hunting. He was and still is: a responsible hunter who will take clear shots as opposed to desperate shots. One of those people with whom you will always be happy to hunt, shoot and share the bush.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!