Opinions please: Pros/Cons of .375 Ruger vs .375 H&H

The Ruger is going to cost you less up front for the rifle. Ammo availability is not as consistent, but that will change over time

IMG_0058.jpeg
image.jpg
You don't get it...."many more" .375 HH rifles? There are people who save for years to hunt Africa and will not own "many" rifles in their lifetime. Snobbery!
Meet the pinche burro / La Reina Feyo my 375 , she is the ugliest girl @:the porm :)
I got more in ammunition then the gun , nothing wrong with a relieable budget rifle
OP pm me if you’re interested in my list of must have hacks to spice up a budget rifle and be under a $1000
no gun snob here lol

If stating simple facts makes me a snob, I guess I’ll change my name to SNOBBY458.
In all seriousness, I’m anything but a snob. It took me years of busting my ass and working to pay off all my debt so I can afford a few fine things in life. I never said there’s anything wrong with shooting a cheap gun. I just said, if I were going to take a rifle to Africa, I would take something reliable. And reliable and cheap doesn’t usually go together.
My whole point is in the context of this thread .375 Ruger vs HH. Many talk about availability of rifles and ammo being a plus factor for the H&H. The idea that relatively inexpensive rifles chambered in .375 Ruger is plus for the Ruger is totally dismissed. Cheap is relative. I believe a Savage 110 is a good quality reliable firearm.

Everyone's has a budget to stay within and if a rifle is a limiting factor, I would recommend talking to your PH about renting a camp rifle for the hunt. It will be much less expensive than buying the right tool for the job.

So a Savage 110 cannot be the right tool for the job? Sorry....more snobbery!

I prefer cartridges used prior to the 60s, however both will do the job. Availability could be a concern, however a good backup plan would always be a camp gun.

When I think of 375 H&H I think of a nice wood stocked rifle, and a 375 Ruger in a nice carbon stock and maybe cerakoted.

I like wood stocked rifles.

I own two rifles chambered in .375 Ruger. A Ruger M77 African and a Howa 1500. Is either of those good enough or do I need to borrow a rifle from my PH?

Savage is a great rifle ( bear hunter 375R ) but are$1100 retail ( haven’t found a used one yet, so don’t know how the used price compares, but with a sharp eye you could probably find a very nice CRF @ price
I like mud hen guns, my Remington 788 .308 I bought for $400 with a good scope on it
my 375R was also $450 no scope, set of Lee dies , 2 boxes of ammunition
only fancy thing on it is the tally QD rings ($200) and a leupold fire 3-9 I had given to me
I might upgrade my 375 when or if a super deal comes along, till then I’ll run what I brung,to the race ,

I'd like to know if anyone can find any 416 Rigby brass...

I got a bunch from Raven Rock about a month ago. Still in stock in 25-packs.

Attachments

• Norma 416 Rigby Brass.pdf
    596.4 KB · Views: 3
You are completely missing the point and are crossing the line of decent behavior.

I could care less what rifle you use as long as it’s reliable. I own a push feed rifle and fully intend on taking it to Africa for buffalo next year. This particular rifle has been fired by me several hundred times with no failures to feed, fire, extract and pick up a new cartridge.

Push feed actions get a lot of flack for not being ideal for a DG rifle but I could care less. If the rifle has a proven track record…use it.

If your rifle is a Savage, Mossberg, Rigby, Mauser or anything else…I really don’t care. It’s YOUR rifle and the only one it needs to please is you.

Do your best to refrain from the snobbery comments. It’s only highlighting your malice.

Can we just get back to 375H&H vs 375RUGER please?

I don't think of myself as a snob, I hang out in blue collar, working class circles, but I do look down my nose at Mossberg rifles, so maybe I am. I would rather Indian leg wrestle a buffalo than hunt one with a Mossberg.
Truer words was never spat…at least for Mossberg’s original wood stocked .375 Ruger. That was my first “DG” rifle, which now permanently resides in the deepest bowels of my safe….forever.

“”Can we just get back to 375H&H vs 375RUGER please?”
the only ass chap about 375Ruger is Hornady ammunition marketing
the one and only factory load for DG is the DGX 300gr ! Yet hornady markets 3 as dangerous game ready, and 2 aren’t imo !!
so h&h edges in DG ready factory loads ( swift AF, barns TSX , federal bear claw , ect)
other then that both are hammers on medium to large dangerous game
both are a reloaders dream ( my ruger is 80gr 4350 in any size from 235-300 ) simple enough to remember
IMG_0856.png

You are completely missing the point and are crossing the line of decent behavior.

I could care less what rifle you use as long as it’s reliable. I own a push feed rifle and fully intend on taking it to Africa for buffalo next year. This particular rifle has been fired by me several hundred times with no failures to feed, fire, extract and pick up a new cartridge.

Push feed actions get a lot of flack for not being ideal for a DG rifle but I could care less. If the rifle has a proven track record…use it.

If your rifle is a Savage, Mossberg, Rigby, Mauser or anything else…I really don’t care. It’s YOUR rifle and the only one it needs to please is you.

Do your best to refrain from the snobbery comments. It’s only highlighting your malice.

Can we just get back to 375H&H vs 375RUGER please?

Back to my original point, I think the availability of some relatively inexpensive mainstream offerings in .375 Ruger that are available most of the time is a plus for the Ruger caliber. I will admit what a couple of others have alluded too, the Mossbergs probably are not a good choice.

“”Can we just get back to 375H&H vs 375RUGER please?”
the only ass chap about 375Ruger is Hornady ammunition marketing
the one and only factory load for DG is the DGX 300gr ! Yet hornady markets 3 as dangerous game ready, and 2 aren’t imo !!
so h&h edges in DG ready factory loads ( swift AF, barns TSX , federal bear claw , ect)
other then that both are hammers on medium to large dangerous game
both are a reloaders dream ( my ruger is 80gr 4350 in any size from 235-300 ) simple enough to remember
View attachment 591902

I pretty much agree. Swift is offering DG ammo in .375 Ruger now.

I load Barnes and Hammer bullets for my .375 Rugers

I started a similar thread a few months ago - or at least related. FWIW, I think the Ruger Guide gun is an excellent rifle. I also think that the ‘design characteristics’ of the Ruger cartridge have some advantages, and for my money is ‘superior’ to the H&H. However, these advantages are largely theoretical and the availability of ammo and stored history of the H&H cannot be ignored.

What it came down with for me is buying the rifle that ‘fits’ you the best. I like a short overall length rifle and wanted something I might be able to hand down to my boys - who have both turned out to be L eye dominant! If you want a short barreled synthetic or laminate stocked rifle threaded from the factory you’ll find more options in the Ruger chambering and vice versa if you prefer a wood stocked, blued barrel, with iron backup sights.

Do not think you can go wrong with either TBH which is why these threads go long! If one was truly superior…. There are differences but both will do the job well, you need to decide which ones are significant to you.

I own two rifles chambered in .375 Ruger. A Ruger M77 African and a Howa 1500. Is either of those good enough or do I need to borrow a rifle from my PH?
My answer is yes to the Ruger African, no experience with the Howa. My African in .375 Ruger topped with a Leupold VX-6HD and QD mounts will fly with me to SA in 2025.

My whole point is in the context of this thread .375 Ruger vs HH. Many talk about availability of rifles and ammo being a plus factor for the H&H. The idea that relatively inexpensive rifles chambered in .375 Ruger is plus for the Ruger is totally dismissed. Cheap is relative. I believe a Savage 110 is a good quality reliable firearm.
Savage makes a nice quality rifle. I owned a Model 10 in .308, which was incredibly accurate. The weak point on Savage is the ejector. A failure to eject potentially is a serious problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dyan65373

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.