Opinions on this shooting table for heavy recoiling rifles.....

sandman0921

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI (Life), RMEF (Life), DU, NWTF, NRA (Patron Life), GOA, DSC (Life), WSF (Life), B&C Club (Sponsor Associate Member), USSA (Associate Member)
Hunted
USA (GA, TN, AR, TX, FL, UT, NM, WY, MT, AK, IL, MO, IA); Canada (NWT, BC); Africa (Tanzania)
Having gotten into shooting "big rifles" in the last few years, one of the things I've been constantly searching for is a way to get off of a traditional shooting bench (i.e., sitting down with some sort of rest) whilst sighting in my big bore rifles, as well as developing new hand-loads. Before owning several of these behemoths, and when doing research on said rifles and cartridges, I had always heard that once the rifle is sighted in adequately (for dangerous game standards), get off the bench, and it will make your shooting much more enjoyable. After owing a few medium to heavy kickers (i.e., 375 H&H, 375 Ruger, 404 Jeffery, 45-70 [Marlin 1895 GBL w/ full house loads], 450 Rigby, and 450 NE 3 1/4), I can verify this to be the absolute truth. These guns, at least off of a traditional bench and even with the Lead Sled, will rattle your teeth. Stand up, and even though they do still kick, the ability to "roll with the rifle" and brace oneself with proper stance, makes the shooting experience much more tolerable. Of course, it goes without saying that prolonged shooting sessions with big bores is also not a great idea.....

I've even tried shooting sticks for sight-in work, and those still don't provide the support to get the rifle accurately dialed in, in my opinion. Of course, once sighted in, practicing with sticks, in field conditions, off-hand, etc., is invaluable, and goes without saying. This device would strictly be for sight-in and load development work.....

I've seen plans for DIY stand-up benches, and while some look great, they look to be very heavy, and not very portable. For a home range, they would be the ticket, but for taking to a public range, they appear to me to be very cumbersome.

I recently saw this shooting table advertised, and is made by MTM (i.e., the ammo boxes, etc). Generally, their stuff appears to be pretty good in quality, and so I wonder if this might be a viable option for sighting in the big bore rifles so many of us on this forum shoot?

http://www.mtmcase-gard.com/products/shooting/high-low-shooting-table.php

HLST-high-low-shooting-table-400.jpg

Has anyone used this before, or does anyone have any thoughts on this? Is this just another piece of equipment that won't really be effective in solving a problem? If so, what do others use to facilitate getting these rifles dialed in off the bench?

Anyways, several vendors appear to carry them, including Midway USA for around $100.00 USD, but before I order one, I thought I'd see what others thought that had more experience than myself.....

In advance, thanks for all comments.....

Attachments

• HLST-high-low-shooting-table-400.jpg
    HLST-high-low-shooting-table-400.jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
Totally agree that shooting standing up and being able to roll a bit more definitely makes recoil more tolerable. So I like the idea here of this elevated table. My one concern would be that if it's that portable, i.e. light enough to carry easily into a public range, how durable is it?

My one concern would be that if it's that portable, i.e. light enough to carry easily into a public range, how durable is it?

Phil,

My concerns as well. I've seen several items like this before that are, in general, pieces of crap to say it kindly......

In the online reviews I've seen from independent reviewers, they appear to garner positive praise in general and to this regard (i.e., durability). The one drawback, and MTM fully discloses this, is that the feet are made like stakes (and actually have foot stirrups) to pierce into soft ground, so shooting in areas with hard soil, or off a concrete pad, probably wouldn't work so well unless some modifications are made.

One thing that is nice, at least from one online reviewers video, is the ability to hang some hanging weight from the center of the tripod attachment on the underside of the table, so as to provide some more stability. Seems like this would be a good option in hard recoiling rifles....

One thing that is nice, at least from one online reviewers video, is the ability to hang some hanging weight from the center of the tripod attachment on the underside of the table, so as to provide some more stability. Seems like this would be a good option in hard recoiling rifles....

But making it less portable. I didn't catch the part about the feet, that would make it useless without modification at the range I shoot at.

While it doesn't make the number of shots unlimited, I have learned a few tricks to make shooting the big boys more tolerable off the bench. Squaring up my shoulder by putting myself in a position to shoot with my back as straight up/down as possible is first. This requires a bit of work getting the right stool to sit on and raising/lowering the rifle when it's on the table. But it makes a big difference getting the recoil pad squared up to my shoulder. I always use a PAST pad for my shoulder. And especially if I'm shooting heavy bullets, I'll use a sling wrapped around my forearm to minimize muzzle jump. These three things put together may not allow me to shoot unlimited rounds, but they make a big difference.

The only thing that costs me any money here is the PAST pad, but those are fairly inexpensive. And I'm not having to carry a bunch more crap into the range.

Not sure if this is related to the question but have you considered using a 25 or 27 inch Harris bipod and shooting from the sitting position? It would be steadier than sticks but may still thump you somewhat.

http://www.harrisbipods.com/

Screenshot (124).png

Last edited by a moderator:
I would have my doubts on that standing table unless I saw it perform. On that top pic, that is a #1 but is not a 1H. Point is it may be a 300 win mag, but is not a .375, .450/400 or .416 Rigby. I would bet a month retirement check that if you fired a .40 of bigger, that ammo on the table would be on the ground. I have seen Ron Spomer (?), in a portable table video firing a Rigby .416. On every shot, every thing on the table bounced onto the ground. All of that being said, hopefully this one will be better!

I would bet a month retirement check that if you fired a .40 of bigger, that ammo on the table would be on the ground

@sierraone,

I have no doubt about this as well. I don't think you could have anything else on the table other than the rifle on some sort of rest........

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadSimpso

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg