Opinions on a particular reticle...

A used straight-tube Z6i 1-6x24 with the 4-I reticle should be about right. You should be able to find them for around 1500-1700$ used.

Perhaps someday that will be a part of my reality. Currently I don't own a single rifle that cost anywhere near that much. My Winchester (Browning) 1895 was an even grand, and that was the most I have spent. At present I continue to throw what money I have at the hunts I go on. :) And look for deals on guns I still want to own. (I still need a Winchester 88 and Model 71, for example)

@Ontario Hunter ... Thank you for that tidbit on the battery. I've never owned a Burris, but I have a couple of friends that have been happy with them.

Steiner on my .338WM has a 4A-I with a red dot.

Perfect combination for me.

I have many older Burris scopes and have never had one fail. I know, I’m not much help.

Have you looked through the scope at all? I wonder if there is a limitation in the printing, but should be as advertised.

Posting as a follow-up, in case anyone ever stumbles across this thread and wonders: this is what the reticle looks like. Crappy weather has kept me from the range - and field conditions will ultimately inform what I think - but looking through it on my porch, I like it a lot - enough that I could see another one or two in my future.

P1030130.jpg

P1030132.jpg

Disclaimer: this is an after the fact question, as in: I already bought the scope. Frankly, I've always thought it a bit silly to ask about something after you've made the decision, but be that as it may... :rolleyes: ;):p

I am looking for opinions on the Illuminated Ballistic E3 reticle found on Burris scopes.

Have any of you used it?
What did you like?
What did you not like?

This is my first venture into the realm of illuminated scopes. The price was right so I decided to give it a whirl.

Thanks in advance.
Have Steiner 2.5-10 w/ same reticle illuminated . Think it is great for my 240 WM

FA89FDE9-376E-4144-9867-2AC2579930FD.jpeg

There really isn't - to my eye - very much "clutter". I like what I see on mine. Again, only actual time in the field will truly let me know what I have, but I am very impressed, particularly for what I spent.

Well, I have the E3 reticle in the Steiner Predator 4 2.5-10 x 42. Appears to be the same or close to the Burris. I like it, especially with the 'Red Dot'. Not really complicated but people believe a 'christmas tree' is too much.
MOA per line:
1st line = 1.49
2nd line = 4.31
3rd line = 7.18
* And the subtension is 'accurate'. "Etched Glass" > 'No Wire'.
Steiner 4 Predator E3 Reticle 2-5-10xx42mm. 2 - Copy.png

Last edited:
It very much looks the same. Same numbers on the scope too.

I was somewhat fearing the Christmas tree look myself. IMHO, it looks far worse on a diagram such as what you provided than it does looking through an actual scope.

Yes, I agree with you consensus. I believe that Burris handles Steiner, so it stands to reason that the reticle (E3) is the same. I do not believe that Steiner holds any proprietary rights with the reticle.

I've got 3 Burris scopes and I never had a problem.

The reticle would not be my first choice, but I could certainly use it just fine.

It seems to me like Burris was (15 years ago) what Vortex is now.

Just MO...

One, not a fan of Burris scopes... too many failures for me and clients. Two, I do not like a reticle that is "too" cluttered, but do like ranging stadia... the Leupold B&C is just about perfect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LydiaR8063

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.