One Gun or Two?

mstewart44

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
I am leaving for RSA in mid-April for my second ever safari. The first time I went I took my 270 Win and had no problems shooting 150 grain core-lokt bullets. This time I am planning on taking my 300 Win Mag with 180 grain Barnes TSX bullets. But, I am considering also taking a 270 WSM as a "backup" gun just on the off chance that something happens to the first gun. I have only 5 or 6 of the medium sized plains game (waterbuck and nyala) on my list for this trip.

I would like to hear from the good folks of this forum - how many of you take a second (or backup) rifle?

One possible thing to do is ask your ph if they have a Loaner(rental) you could use? And how much? Also ask what kind of gun? If its something you would be comfortable with then take one. A plan for a backup is a must. Had a goose hunting trip last year and my dads gun started messing up. He had a backup so we switched it out and all was well....so have a plan. Either a second gun or a ph with a loaner/rental. Me I would bring the second gun.

I counted on the Outfitter/PH to have a back up gun/ rental in case my rifle did not work.
Ask for sure.

I am leaving on my third trip in 11 days. On the first two I took a two rifle battery. I will on the third as well. I have had a .280 Rem on the first two trips and it will return on the third. It has performed well on both previous trips. Depending on the terrain, you may want to have some heavier bullets for thick cover, had a slight problem with 140 grain TSX's in the thick stuff. Used 160 grain Nosler's on my Waterbuck, he's on the wall but he took several rounds before going down for good, in Nosler's defense it was my shooting not the bullet.

We had a .260 Rem on the first two trip for smaller plains game. It performed well when it was used, but it wasn't used often.

I'm taking a .338 Win Mag on this trip with 250 grain TSX's and 250 grain solid's by Barnes for Zebra, Blue Wildebeest, and Eland. We will use some 120 grain bullets for Impala and Duiker in the .280 Rem.

I like having a backup rifle, just in case.

I only take one rifle. I can't afford excess baggage fees for a 2nd as I travel cattle class. I also think you should not have to mentally adjust to another rifle. Know the one in your hands.

I only take one rifle. I can't afford excess baggage fees for a 2nd as I travel cattle class. I also think you should not have to mentally adjust to another rifle. Know the one in your hands.

That is the reason I take 2, they are mine and I know them both. Last year when using Christines gun it just wasnt the same. Mine all have the same 2lb 8oz crisp trigger and hers has a 4lb 4oz trigger with a bit of creep that is still not a bad trigger but it was certainly not as familiar as my own. Mine both share a "seat" in a double rifle case so they fly for the price of one anyway.

I will be hunting with Mof Venter of Adansonia Safaris. His camp burned to the ground and his guns were lost in the fire and have yet to be replaced so depending on him to have a backup is not an option.

I can pack three guns in the tuff pak and still be under weight so bag fees are not a problem. Sine I am a super duper sky miles member, I am not worried about the extra bag charges either. I can check 2 bags plus take carry on.

Last edited:
I will be hunting with Mof Venter of Adansonia Safaris. His camp burned to the ground and his guns were lost in the fire and have yet to be replaced so depending on him to have a backup is not an option.

I can pack three guns in the tuff pak and still be under weight so bag fees are not a problem. Sine I am a super duper sky miles member, I am not worried about the extra bag charges either. I can check 2 bags plus take carry on.

Sounds like you are decided and well equipped to take two guns.

For me, I am left handed and I do like to shoot my own rifle, so I will take one. But the less I have to travel with the better. As long as I'll be near my PHs place, I will use one of his for a back up in the unlikely event that mine breaks. Now, if I were going into the way back with hours of driving or flying to get a spare, that may change things, but probably only to have him bring a second rifle.

The airline is more likely to misplace your gun case than you are to break a rifle once you get there, so having two packed is not going to cover the most likely reason for you to need a spare anyway.

I do bring a second pair of boots, however. One pair in my carry on. Even the most ill fitting rifle isn't going to mess up a hunt as bad as a slightly ill fitting pair of boots.

Well if youve been practicing with your rifles enough it's really a no brainer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stitchcart

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg