on a lighter note...

The problem is that you have no idea of how the meat is going to taste like until you get it onto the table.

I had a young cow elk that tasted like crap, and a 8 year old trophy bull elk that was fantastic eating. A friend shot a fawn from that year, when I went over to his house and he opened up the shed where it was hanging you could smell it, it tasted just like it smelt.....bad.

You just never know.
A LOT of it has to do with field prep. You’ve got to get that hide off the animal SOON after you shoot it. If not, the body heat will spoil the meat.
 
That young cow elk was hanging up in my garage with the hide off within a half hour of being shot. The cup of coffee that I had with me was still pretty warm when I pulled the trigger on her. My friends wife didn't believe that I had shot one and had to come over to my house to confirm it. Temperatures were around 20⁰ the first weekend of November .

The fawn was similar. Shot, cleaned, and skinned within a hour.

Now if either would of been shot and thrown into the bed of a truck and driven around with for a day I could understand it. But they were taken care of properly, but the meat was just bad tasting.
 

I hope she's old enough to know where the Congo is, otherwise:

Her: Where is the Congo?

You:
In the middle of the African continent.
No, that's Europe.
No, that's North America.
No, that's South America.
No, that's Asia.
No, that's the Mid East.
No, that's Greenland.
No, that's Australia.

Ah, that's it.

Damn! Now use both hands to scratch my whole back.
 

I look straight at them and say I'm prepared. I'm not scared of anyone with "a" gun in public. I just simply open my vest, or jacket, indiscreetly displaying:

2 - 1911 45 ACP
2 - Compact 9 mm
3 inch barrel , 357 mag revolver
38 spl O/U double barrel Derringer
380 pocket auto
4 inch barrel, 9 shot, 22 revolver
or
223/5.56 with the 30 rd mag MP4 across my back?

Then ask which one scares you the most?

BTW I don't have any anti gun friends anymore.
 
When a friend came back to the US after being stationed in Germany for 3 years I gave him a nice cold beer. He took a sip of it and told me to put it in the microwave for 30 or so seconds.

He was so used to warm beer he couldn't drink it cold.

I was wondering how soon it would take to be corrected. LOL.

In service had two NCOs that talked about how Germans, Europeans, liked to drink, and the beer was served at room temperature at best. Also how {North} Americans (Canadians included) were quick to be identified because [they] asked for iced cold beer.
 
When I got stationed in Germany it took me several months to get used to drinking 45-55 degree Fahrenheit beer. Same period of adjustment when I got back. The biggest difference was really the alcohol content. I still 45 years later prefer the German beer. German guesthouse would keep their beer kegs in the cellars so it was not room temperature but cellar temperature.
 
When I got stationed in Germany it took me several months to get used to drinking 45-55 degree Fahrenheit beer. Same period of adjustment when I got back. The biggest difference was really the alcohol content. I still 45 years later prefer the German beer. German guesthouse would keep their beer kegs in the cellars so it was not room temperature but cellar temperature.
I’ve drank ales that were barely cool and it was fine. I can’t imagine drinking a barely cool lager or Pilsner though. I guess it’s a learned necessity?
 
Is it possible to be friends with someone who is anti-gun?
Not on a deep level... but there are always a few church members and relatives you have to associate with who may be even opposed to hunting. I try to educate them, sometime it works, some no way.
 
IMG_6133.png
 
When I got stationed in Germany it took me several months to get used to drinking 45-55 degree Fahrenheit beer. Same period of adjustment when I got back. The biggest difference was really the alcohol content. I still 45 years later prefer the German beer. German guesthouse would keep their beer kegs in the cellars so it was not room temperature but cellar temperature.

LOL.....So I've been told......German beer alcohol content varied by daily, weekly, batch, unlike American beers that are restricted to 6%.
 
Last edited:
I was wondering how soon it would take to be corrected. LOL.

In service had two NCOs that talked about how Germans, Europeans, liked to drink, and the beer was served at room temperature at best. Also how {North} Americans (Canadians included) were quick to be identified because [they] asked for iced cold beer.

In Spain we like our beer very cold, some even keep their beer glasses in the freezer.

We mainly drink lagers.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,310
Messages
1,572,512
Members
169,576
Latest member
Teresa7277
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top