Older Searcy on BSS frame

49cub

AH member
Joined
Nov 29, 2014
Messages
25
Reaction score
12
Good evening gents,

I've read a lot of articles on Searcy's and most have been positive. But most refer to the newer ones that are based off his action. I'm seeing a few of the original Searcy's that were based off BSS frames for good prices. But I don't hear many reviews on them. The main thing I've heard is they were "clubby" but that doesn't bother me too much. Does anyone have experience with the older Searcy's? No idea how many rounds the one in looking at has through it but it looks interesting.

Thanks for any help.
 
49cub, The very first side by side doubles built by Butch Searcy were on the Browning BSS 20 ga action. These were tough doubles but as you say they were a little clubby but were very strong doubles. Most were chambered for the 470NE round, and were very well regulated and accurate rifles.
There was one bought by a customer just to test ammo and had thousands of rounds fired through it without a problem. The owner of that rifle used to post on another forum but I simply cannot remember his screen name.
I never owned one of these rifles but have shot several and have never shot one that wasn't perfectly regulated and accurate. Most of the ones I have personally shot had many rounds through the before I shot them, and all were on face and tight as a drum.
As long as one of these rifles is tight and nothing broke on them they are a very good buy because they simply do not command a high price in my experience.

With the serial No a phone call to Butch will get you the load it was regulated for, and when it was made! Butch is a great guy and will help you in any way he can with info on the rifle!
...................................................................Mac
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
70,310
Messages
1,572,456
Members
169,566
Latest member
billfishes
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top