Of these, which one?

Discussion in 'Hunting Africa' started by dmyers, Jan 28, 2019.

1. One Day...

One Day... AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    PHASA
    Hunted:
    Europe, America, Canada, Africa
    100% agreed Bruce :)
    Actually I am not really sure how the "list" came together but it surprised me a bit, and to this point I am not really sure which one dmyers intended to list (Reedbuck or Rhebuck).

In the 4 criteria proposed: "1) Not common to see good one 2) hard to hunt specially 3) unlikely to see on future safaris due to their range and 4) Just really interesting cool trophy to take," to me the first 3 are fairly objective and the 4th is highly subjective, so I would take it out.

If so, my ranking would be
    1- Vaal Rhebuck by a wide margin (not common, hard to hunt, very limited range)
    2- Mountain Reedbuck (about halfway in the 3 criteria between Vaali and the rest)
    3- Common Duiker/Steenbok/Impala/Blesbuck/Warthog. They are not hard to hunt and they are plentiful, even though like for everything you can't shoot one that you do not encounter and some folks indeed may spend a week in Africa without bumping into a decent warthog.

2. dmyers

dmyers AH Veteran

Hunted:
    Namibia, Canada,
    Rhebuck is the way it was spelled in trophy price list of a couple outfiter I checked, so that's why the spelling.
    The list came about about after I did some budgeting and after primary trophy are taken, I have funds for one, maybe two more on the list, but no more. So I'd like to have a basic ranking before I get into the field.

3. curtism1234

curtism1234 AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Hunted: RSA, MO, WY. Fished: MO, IL, AR, MS, FL, WI, MI, WY
    Personal preference, a small impala looks dinky. I wouldn't pass on a monster impala

4. fourfive8

fourfive8 AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Botswana
    Huge difference between a Rhebok and a Reedbuck as One Day pointed out and posted pics of. I assume, since the spelling is "Rhebuck" in the list, they are referring to the (Vaal/Grey) Rhebok not the Mountain Reedbuck.

No matter as long as you are clear about which is what :) A ref. book on mammals of Africa is always handy to have-- the Smithers' field guide is pretty good.

A 24" or better big old impala is quite a nice trophy.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019

5. KMG Hunting Safaris

KMG Hunting Safaris AH ENABLER SPONSOR Since 2013 AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC Life Member ; Eastern Cape Game Management Association ; PE Pistol and Rifle Club
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Namibia, New Zealand
  6. Pheroze

Pheroze AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    OFAH, DSC
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Canada, USA
    I think this is a great breakdown. The Mountain Rhebuck or Reedbuck is a very intriguing animal for sure.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019

7. One Day...

One Day... AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    PHASA
    Hunted:
    Rhebuck is the correct spelling, but this is not the point LOL. The confusion comes when attaching the word "Rhebuck" to the word "Mountain." It is either "Mountain" REEDbuck or "Vaal" (or "Grey") RHEbuck :)

See above post with pics.

Very likely you do not want to select Vaal Rhebuck because they live in a different habitat from the rest. Mountain Reedbuck share habitat with most of the rest and will be more accessible in a 'general plains game' area...

Best of luck out there :)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019

8. One Day...

One Day... AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    PHASA
    Hunted:
    These are two different animals... Mountain REEDbuck or Vaal RHEbuck. See post above with pics...

9. Shaneb

Shaneb AH Member

Whatever trophy presents itself is what you should take. To me nothing says plains game like Impala. That would be my first on that list. My recommendation would be to put $$$ aside for the ones you don’t have on that list. In my case after going to SA and seeing them all first hand I wish I would have budgeted in more money for a Red Hartebeest or Eland. Very cool animals.

10. Eric Anderson

Eric Anderson AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    RSA
    Impala is my unicorn. I rarely see them, and I average 10 shots per kill. I don’t know what it is, but I just can’t seem to put one in the salt. Blesbock, zebra, wilderbeest, Cape buffalo, baboons, no problem.

Impala? Holy *%#?!
    Wtf..... it’s my unicorn....

Shaneb likes this.