Of Rat Calibers, Elephant and Buffalo, In Witness Protection

@CBH Australia
No Chris, another enlightened hunter that know class when it comes to rifles and cartridges.
Bob

It is always good to meet another enlightened, dare I say, refined hunter that understands the art of "duel a mort" with a rapier rather than just another broadsword. Really, really well done!

Sorry to Hijack this but both respondents infer certain rifles and cartridges have prestige and quality.

Now, would putting a .35 Whelen in a Blaser be the apex of a classic pairing or would it be like putting lipstick on a pig?

I have met one of these fine gentlemen and corresponded with the other.

One drinks Bundy and Iced Tea before 9am and the other savours a Fine Whisky after dinner.

Good thing we are all different but I can't help but wonder how we would go all sitting around the same campfire with a few other members telling tall stories.

Well done Toby! Although I love big guns, the only elephant I’ve been blessed to harvest was taken with that same rat caliber. As you say, a bullet in the brain is decisive regardless of caliber. Good shooting!

Good stuff, congrats on the elephant as well as the buff!

First of all, Welcome Home Toby, we are very pleased you made it home, safe and sound.................

"375 King of Calibers"............................ OMG I have never in my life heard a more asinine statement in all my life. Its a "King Of Rat calibers", and that is stretching matters greatly........... It is the "King Of Calibers for Amateurs". It is the "Queen of Calibers for little old Ladies".

Does any Person Here actually believe that Toby's Successful Hunt had anything at all to do with 3 7 5 Caliber? "Toby was only successful because he was shooting a 375?"............... "Toby only came home ALIVE because he was shooting 375?".............. Really...........

I really hate to break the news to you "375 Worshipers", but brain shots to buffalo and elephant or any other animal or being in no way "validates" the effectiveness of 375 caliber. You see in reality a Central Nervous System shutdown by ANY CALIBER PROJECTILE, puts an end to any and all activities. Whether it be .224 or .620 caliber, it does not matter........ Central Nervous System Shutdown.

Toby WAS NOT Successful in his Endeavors because of 375, He was Successful in his Endeavors, IN SPITE OF being burdened with a less than desirable caliber.

Toby was Successful on his Mission because of Superior Decision ability of where those shots needed to be placed and the skill in which to place the shots precisely. Toby was successful on his Mission because of making the right choices in his bullet selection. Even burdened with the lowly rat size caliber 375, he Endeavored to Persevere for these reasons, not because of 375, but in Spite of It.

I dare say, even though he was able to persevere, that on his next adventure, should it include large bovine, elephant or hippo, that the combination of calibers would be 458 primary and 416 as backup. This makes a superb combination, even though 416 is somewhat questionable............

HEH.............

Well Done Toby, and once again, we are pleased to hear of your safe and successful return.

Sh*t hot Toby, congrats!!! 375 H&H, the newest and greatest hot varmint caliber. :ROFLMAO:

Absolutely splendid, Toby! What a magnificent specimen he is. Yes, the .375 Holland & Holland Magnum is the swiss army knife of rifles calibers. That’s how I’ve been using them for the last 48 years since my first safari in ‘74.
C11FB5A4-428E-4C57-9B19-6B14A0B4E6C0.jpeg
7C27DC70-3461-40B3-9E26-350A31C1D0FB.jpeg
2242FE96-2763-474A-9BDF-B0DCA5E62369.jpeg
655D4C14-D862-42E6-90F4-3594A2A92D59.jpeg
2D347297-46BC-4D05-8169-62A956AEC1F9.jpeg
9DB7ADE0-933E-47A6-943E-94E0BD5DF869.jpeg
98165BDA-35E2-416B-9203-065A14827049.jpeg
778EDCF7-C74A-452B-BB90-4B06467F4F1C.jpeg
83686CEF-F4FD-4E68-94AC-F3B43DD77400.jpeg

That said, my next Cape buffalo will be served something a little more … Substantial, if you know what I mean.
E2C73B17-AA43-4996-B159-DB21C837E399.jpeg
85511675-AC42-4673-BBAC-BB19E7B852B0.jpeg

Not because I need to, but simply because it’ll be a different sort of thrill.

Good shooting out there. A strange fellow you are. Name ends with “458”, but you achieve wonders with the .375. It’s high time we rename you “Toby375”.

Last edited:
Nice report. Great shooting!

Awesome job man!!

Did TSA cut your locks to get to the gun again!? I had a pelican 1750 dropped so hard it forced the elevation turret cover down, jumped the threads, and had to he taken off with pliers. Damaged the erector housing and needed complete replacement by Leupold (for free, awesome CS). Baggage handlers can be gorillas at times....possibly purposely with certain bags we all know.

Good job, despite using a rat caliber. ;)

Our hunt began with the customary “sight in” session at the range. That’s when I discovered that the front sight had been broken on the 416 during our flight! Some idiot with the TSA had unpacked my rifles after they had already been inspected by another TSA agent upon my initial check in with Qatar airlines. I had carefully put the rifles back into the case after they were inspected the first time. But, when they did the second inspection without my presence, they somehow broke my front sight off!

I am puzzled. You had TSA locks on your gun case?

First of all, Welcome Home Toby, we are very pleased you made it home, safe and sound.................

"375 King of Calibers"............................ OMG I have never in my life heard a more asinine statement in all my life. Its a "King Of Rat calibers", and that is stretching matters greatly........... It is the "King Of Calibers for Amateurs". It is the "Queen of Calibers for little old Ladies".

Does any Person Here actually believe that Toby's Successful Hunt had anything at all to do with 3 7 5 Caliber? "Toby was only successful because he was shooting a 375?"............... "Toby only came home ALIVE because he was shooting 375?".............. Really...........

I really hate to break the news to you "375 Worshipers", but brain shots to buffalo and elephant or any other animal or being in no way "validates" the effectiveness of 375 caliber. You see in reality a Central Nervous System shutdown by ANY CALIBER PROJECTILE, puts an end to any and all activities. Whether it be .224 or .620 caliber, it does not matter........ Central Nervous System Shutdown.

Toby WAS NOT Successful in his Endeavors because of 375, He was Successful in his Endeavors, IN SPITE OF being burdened with a less than desirable caliber.

Toby was Successful on his Mission because of Superior Decision ability of where those shots needed to be placed and the skill in which to place the shots precisely. Toby was successful on his Mission because of making the right choices in his bullet selection. Even burdened with the lowly rat size caliber 375, he Endeavored to Persevere for these reasons, not because of 375, but in Spite of It.

I dare say, even though he was able to persevere, that on his next adventure, should it include large bovine, elephant or hippo, that the combination of calibers would be 458 primary and 416 as backup. This makes a superb combination, even though 416 is somewhat questionable............

HEH.............

Well Done Toby, and once again, we are pleased to hear of your safe and successful return.
Thanks for the welcome home buddy! I figured this would get your blood pressure up a bit! I was laughing my ass off when I wrote this, thinking about how you'd respond. Lol!
All's well that ends well I suppose!
I'll now go and take my mom's 375 back to her. She said the rats took over the kitchen pantry while I was gone.

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome home buddy! I figured this would get your blood pressure up a bit! I was laughing my ass off when I wrote this, thinking about how you'd respond. Lol!
You should be careful, you give OLD PEOPLE heart failure doing crap like that....... HEH

I'll now go and take my mom's 375 back to her. She said the rats took over the kitchen pantry while I was gone!
By All Means, be hasty about it, rats running wild is not good for your Mothers health..... Chop Chop now! :ROFLMAO:

Wonderful Bull BTW, and great experience, you will not forget........

Happy you made it home...... Was thinking it was close to time a couple of days ago, but you know how old people are, they loose track of time.... HEH.........

We will chat more later, enjoy.....

Congratulations Toby. But I do think you need to go back and repeat your hunt just to prove this wasn't just good luck!
I need you to sign up for my new group "Adopt A Hunter Foundation". When shall my funds arrive Sir? Lol!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross