Not going to SA until 2014, but getting started already

Rohan,
That is what really intrigued me about Afrikaans, the German aspect. When I heard our guide speaking on the phone with the owner of the reserve I could have sworn they were speaking German. I was catching some of the words very easily. I am German and know some German. The nice thing is I pick up German very quickly. My husband is Dutch, so I like the aspect of the relationship to the Dutch language as well.

So far, I have purchased a mini dictionary and Colloquial Afrikaan - The Complete Course for Beginners. I am still working on learning the pronunciation of the vowels and constants. I plan to take my time going through this book, which is fairly small and learn as much as I can. Then I plan to move on to something more difficult. You can go to Amazon.com to find a great selection of learning material. They even have books in Afrikaans, which as I learn I may get to help me translate.

This will be great fun, and I plan to teach our grandson some words too. He is only 6 months, so by time he can talk Ouma en Oupa will teach him some Afrikaans. :)

Good luck all!!

Good luck, it will be great and a lot of fun especially as you will get to practice with Afrikaans people when you get to your hunting destination. Being of German decent and knowing a bit of German is a benefit and will make things that much more easier because the language is partly derived from German, but will still be a great challenge to master. Practice makes perfect...just dont forget to practice with your bow!!!:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
choangclubcasa

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross