Not another scope thread

I’ve had Schmidt & Bender Klassic 56mm’s on my deer rifles since the early 1990s for low light deer hunting. They have been great.

I’m running a Weaver Super Slam Dangerous Game 1-5x24 on my 458 Lott and I’ve been pleased. I’ve got a Swaro X5i on my 338 RUM, which is a real boomer. It’s held up well through approx 80 rounds. Both have been discontinued so I don’t think that helps you very much.
 
I’m running a Weaver Super Slam Dangerous Game 1-5x24 on my 458 Lott and I’ve been pleased.
I actually have two of those myself, and they really are great, often overlooked scopes. The glass is excellent and they’re built like a tank, but unfortunately they were only made for a short period of time.

Interestingly, I’ve noticed they’re actually selling for more on eBay now than what I paid for mine when they were being discontinued.

Both of mine originally lived on the two rifles I mentioned earlier in this thread. At one point I fell into the classic trap of “why handicap yourself when you can have the latest and greatest,” so I swapped them out for newer optics with more features.

Ironically, after going down the rabbit hole with modern scopes, I sometimes find myself thinking those Weaver Super Slams were about as close to a perfect hunting scope as anything out there—simple, compact, excellent glass, and no unnecessary bulk.
IMG_1823.jpeg
 
Swarovski makes a really nice 1” tube line of scopes. BUT the tube is often quite short making it a challenge to mount exactly where I want it.
I would go nightforce except they are noticeably heavy and Expensive! Lots of give and take in the scope market-
You can always opt for an extended ring or (shudder) mount the scope on a rail. My Nikon 3-9x on Springfield 03A3 also has a short tube. I originally opted for extended forward ring for proper eye relief, but wanted to switch to QD rings when I added iron sights to the rifle. Unfortunately, no one makes extended QD rings so I was compelled to switch to one-piece base with multiple slots. It works fine but not the most asthetic. Oh well.

For me, the most important requirement for a scope is that it acquire instantly with full field of view when I mount the rifle. I seem to have a proclivity for quick shooting, often animals that are jumped up and on the fly.
 
Ahh, a scope thread. I have a scope on my grouse rifle.
6-24x56 Optisan.
& a 4x32 elevation only Swarovski on my 6.5x57.
 

Attachments

  • Willow Grouse AirForce Condor .25 .JPG
    Willow Grouse AirForce Condor .25 .JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_3500.JPG
    IMG_3500.JPG
    938.9 KB · Views: 58
I’ve had Schmidt & Bender Klassic 56mm’s on my deer rifles since the early 1990s for low light deer hunting. They have been great.

I’m running a Weaver Super Slam Dangerous Game 1-5x24 on my 458 Lott and I’ve been pleased. I’ve got a Swaro X5i on my 338 RUM, which is a real boomer. It’s held up well through approx 80 rounds. Both have been discontinued so I don’t think that helps you very much.
I actually have two of those myself, and they really are great, often overlooked scopes. The glass is excellent and they’re built like a tank, but unfortunately they were only made for a short period of time.

Interestingly, I’ve noticed they’re actually selling for more on eBay now than what I paid for mine when they were being discontinued.

Both of mine originally lived on the two rifles I mentioned earlier in this thread. At one point I fell into the classic trap of “why handicap yourself when you can have the latest and greatest,” so I swapped them out for newer optics with more features.

Ironically, after going down the rabbit hole with modern scopes, I sometimes find myself thinking those Weaver Super Slams were about as close to a perfect hunting scope as anything out there—simple, compact, excellent glass, and no unnecessary bulk.View attachment 751079
You are in the catbird seat for dangerous game scopes. I inherited mine with the rifle and thought about replacing it with something I was more familiar with. After learning more through use and research I bought in to the “If it isn’t broke” philosophy. I was a little uneasy taking it on a buffalo hunt without a backup scope but thankfully, I didn’t have a problem.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,355
Messages
1,574,041
Members
169,888
Latest member
Sonia16980
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

jnelson wrote on Jjhog's profile.
might think about getting these bullets to me
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top