Non-trophy Buffalo

The trophy is what did you put into the hunt and what did you get out of the hunt? Did it fill your expectations? Did you get that feeling? Did you feel your heart in your throat and that “Holy Crap” feeling? If it did than you got what you went after. Horn size has exactly nothing to do with it.

+1 what he said!!
To me it’s the hunt and the experience. Horn width and size does not matter. As long as it is a mature older animal or a cull needing removed from the herd because of genetics.
It is the hunt!

Is there a difference between a non-trophy and a management/cull buffalo hunt?
A management hunt just means some animal the owner needs to cull for some reason and is happy for you to do it for a reduced fee. It can be a smaller one with non-trophy sized horns, or with trophy sized horns, but less likely because he can keep it for a full pay hunt. But maybe it is very old and poor condition, and it is better he gets something for it before it dies naturally.

So we have following options.
Trophy hunt, size of trophy as per some standard.
Non-trophy hunt, size of trophy below standard, or not trophy at all.
Cull hunt/managment hunt
Own use hunt/meat hunt.

What is the situation with export of horns, in options of non trophy, cull, and own use hunts?
Exportable, or not?

What do you guys normally pay for a so called "Non trophy bull"?
Is there a different from free roaming buffalo too Buffalo in a hunting farm.
And finaly a non trophy bull is it exportable?

What do you guys normally pay for a so called "Non trophy bull"?
Is there a different from free roaming buffalo too Buffalo in a hunting farm.
And finaly a non trophy bull is it exportable?
A bull that is exported is ”trophy“ regardless of size.

The cost of shooting that bull may vary based upon its size. A sliding trophy fee scale is most common on game ranches. It is also the environment where a reduced fee is most likely to be associated with a “cull” animal of any species.

In a wilderness area, the PH typically is trying very hard to get his client the best representative animal he can find that the area can produce in the time allowed. Normally, there is not a sliding scale based upon size.

Some countries do allow the shooting of occasional buffalo in non-game ranch environments for use of indigenous communities in the area of a concession. The animal is not considered a “trophy” animal and typically may not be exported.

I can only speak of my own experience in Zim, so here it is: all buff hunting is free roam, even where some concessions like Save or Bubye have a perimeter fence it is so vast that the buff will probably never encounter it. Some bulls have a small spread and may not tick the box for a 'trophy' hunter. So the operator offers them at around half price to locals. Would they even consider this sort of deal for foreign clients? Maybe, in the tough times we are in, you need to ask them.

I'm reading this and trying to keep up, so bare with me. I've always wanted to take a buffalo with a bow and I want a spot and stalk hunt, not from a blind. BUT, it's always been cost prohibitive for me. I'm not after a world record, just a good mature bull. Knowing nothing about sizes, what is big, what is management, I try to follow along with these conversations in order to learn.
I've always planned on a buffalo bull to be in the $10,000 price range? For me, I weigh that cost versus a plains game hunt where I can shoot many animals for under that price. At $10,000, that would be a one animal trip for me and I'd have to probably skip a year.
I see on this thread the mention of 36" as being a management bull, typically. What, in your opinion, would be a fair price for such a bull?
I'll be searching the threads for management buffalo pictures in order to give me an idea of what those may look like.
I'm not getting any younger, so if I'm going to pull this off, I better hurry while I can still pull an 80 lb bow back to full draw.

Im not an outfitter. But I presume it is a buffalo under the sci and rw minimums.
One of my favorite hunts was a non trophy, scum capped beast. No record there, but what a hunt !View attachment 399804

That is a trophy in my book. I have been looking for a scum capped old bull on the last several buffalo hunts to no avail.

An important consideration is that the buffalo doesn't know it is non-trophy--it is just as dangerous and exciting to hunt as any other. I you can get a financial discount, so much the better.

I'm reading this and trying to keep up, so bare with me. I've always wanted to take a buffalo with a bow and I want a spot and stalk hunt, not from a blind. BUT, it's always been cost prohibitive for me. I'm not after a world record, just a good mature bull. Knowing nothing about sizes, what is big, what is management, I try to follow along with these conversations in order to learn.
I've always planned on a buffalo bull to be in the $10,000 price range? For me, I weigh that cost versus a plains game hunt where I can shoot many animals for under that price. At $10,000, that would be a one animal trip for me and I'd have to probably skip a year.
I see on this thread the mention of 36" as being a management bull, typically. What, in your opinion, would be a fair price for such a bull?
I'll be searching the threads for management buffalo pictures in order to give me an idea of what those may look like.
I'm not getting any younger, so if I'm going to pull this off, I better hurry while I can still pull an 80 lb bow back to full draw.
The only buffalo I’ve seen specified as non-trophy (and exportable) are Zimbabwe, but day rates are still relatively expensive in these areas and trophy fee not all that reduced. Size restricted bulls are also available adjacent Kruger but also relatively expensive. I think for a well priced buffalo it would be tough to beat the recent offer here for less than 40” at $6750 in South Africa. It has a very positive hunt report from last year if I remember right.

Last edited:
An important consideration is that the buffalo doesn't know it is non-trophy--it is just as dangerous and exciting to hunt as any other. I you can get a financial discount, so much the better.
Very true and it puts it all in the proper perspective. Appreciate the insight and alternate view.

Thanks to you guys, I'll be in the doghouse later tonight when my wife sees the credit card charge for the new 80 lb bow I bought for a buffalo hunt. :ROFLMAO::LOL:
I've been searching the DEALS page and have reached out to a couple of those outfitters. I've been told it may be best to wait until the DSC Convention and shop around there?
I'm thinking, from what I'm reading, I can afford a 36"-42" bull? And I'd be happy with that. It will be the only animal of the dangerous Big 5 that I'll ever be able to hunt and I want a spot and stalk with the bow.

Trophy
35549E57-EE2D-4419-AF49-49256642C933.jpeg

Non Trophy
C8ECAB23-5765-4B47-9C4A-D0A35A5BC671.jpeg

I only mounted two of my Cape buffalo heads (my life’s first one in Kenya and my life’s biggest one in Tanzania). The others I hunt for the pure love of hunting.

Waiting until DSC and seeing what all might be available is never a bad idea..

The financial side of the equation appears to be a significant consideration here.. Have you considered maybe starting down the buff path with a cow? A cow can be very affordable (actually less expensive than several PG options).. Maybe take a cow in 2023.. and then if you find buff hunting with a bow really scratches an itch for you, step up to a bull a few more years down the road (while you're still able to pull the 80lb bow)? ...

Waiting until DSC and seeing what all might be available is never a bad idea..

The financial side of the equation appears to be a significant consideration here.. Have you considered maybe starting down the buff path with a cow? A cow can be very affordable (actually less expensive than several PG options).. Maybe take a cow in 2023.. and then if you find buff hunting with a bow really scratches an itch for you, step up to a bull a few more years down the road (while you're still able to pull the 80lb bow)? ...

I may wait until the DSC convention, but I'm all in on a hunt for a bull. A good mature bull, doesn't have to be the biggest. I'd be happy with an old, old dagga boy, but I would prefer that he have some horns on both sides as he will probably be my one and only buffalo. And, if I pull this off, he will be going on the wall. I've already called my taxidermists for pricing.
Old, with character.

Here are two old bulls we saw up close and personal while on our boat ride up the Chobe River. We had spent the night in Kasane after our hunt was over. I said then that I would be glad to take either one of them.
buff1.JPG

buff2.JPG

buff3.JPG

K
I can only speak of my own experience in Zim, so here it is: all buff hunting is free roam, even where some concessions like Save or Bubye have a perimeter fence it is so vast that the buff will probably never encounter it. Some bulls have a small spread and may not tick the box for a 'trophy' hunter. So the operator offers them at around half price to locals. Would they even consider this sort of deal for foreign clients? Maybe, in the tough times we are in, you need to ask them.
Kevin is 100% correct certain properties in Zim. offer some great prices on non trophy animals. The land owner which may be private or govt. offer non trophy prices on what they decide are non trophy animals.
Keep in mind if the animal that you take exceeds the max non trophy size you will probably pay full price.

Absolutely ! You are there for the hunt, the buzz. Trying to stop wiping the sweat out of your eyes when you are being eyeballed. Wondering why you have parted with a significant wad of cash to be terrified !!

I may wait until the DSC convention, but I'm all in on a hunt for a bull. A good mature bull, doesn't have to be the biggest. I'd be happy with an old, old dagga boy, but I would prefer that he have some horns on both sides as he will probably be my one and only buffalo. And, if I pull this off, he will be going on the wall. I've already called my taxidermists for pricing.
Old, with character.
"he will be my one and only"--hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaa

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack849688

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg