Nicknames and localisms

JGH

AH member
Joined
Dec 22, 2025
Messages
40
Reaction score
65
Is there a glossary somewhere of all of the nicknames and local names of the animals of Africa?

For example, Simba for lion, etc.?
 
I’ve always been fascinated with the old French west Africa hunting and still modern day in Cameroon and C.A.R etc etc

So the French call the local harnessed bushbuck “Le Guib ”. Another is “Le Koba” a general term of Kob or even roan I’ve seen in old French naturalist descriptions and writings.

I love the Frenchies love of hunting and west Africa is a dream of mine I know I will make happen one day.
 
It is difficult because all these animals have very different names in the various languages of the former colonialist, and then there are the many local African languages to consider. The most common African names for wild animals that all knows come from Swahili, but this language was primarily used in East Africa and partly in the south.
 
It is difficult because all these animals have very different names in the various languages of the former colonialist, and then there are the many local African languages to consider. The most common African names for wild animals that all knows come from Swahili, but this language was primarily used in East Africa and partly in the south.
I’m sure you know some more local ones from west Africa, as I know you spent time in that part of the world hunting.

Please do share
 
Almost everything has a different name in French, and that are the only names locals of west and central Africa understand.

For example: Le cobe Defassa/Waterbuck, le cobe des roseaux ou simplement le redunca/Reedbuck, cobe de Buffon/West African kob, le Koba en Fufulde, l'Hippotrague en Français /Roan, le bubale/Hartebeest, le guib harnaché/Bushbuck,...
 
Another is “Le Koba” a general term of Kob or even roan I’ve seen in old French naturalist descriptions and writings
The Western Roan is called Koba. Just under two months and I'll be trying for one in Senegal. Also hopefully for the harnessed bushbuck.
 
Some ones that got me in Afrikaans
- Roan = bastergemsbok
- Cheetah = jagluiperd
- Impala = rooibok

Usually they just say it in English, but I got told a funny story about the “bastergemsbok” and how someone mistakenly shot a Roan because they were with a tracker that only spoke Afrikaans and Tswana while out looking for gemsbok (oryx).
 
Impala
Shona: mhara
Ndebele: impala

Waterbuck
Shona: dhumukwa
Nedebele: isidumuka

Reedbuck
Shona: bimha
Ndebele: umziki

Giraffe
Shona: twiza
Ndebele: intundla

Hippo
Shona: mvuu
Ndebele: imbubu

Zebra
Shona: mbizi
Ndebele: idube

Leopard
Shona: mbada
Ndebele: ingwe

Lion
Shona: shumba
Ndebele: isilwane

Elephant
Shona: nzou
Ndebele: indlovu


From the Bundu Series: WILD MAMMALS Dale Kenmuir and Russell Williams
 
I didn't spell the Ndebele word for hippo correctly. It should be imvubu.

Here's a few more.

Buffalo
Shona: nyati
Ndebele: inyathi

Kudu
Shona: nhoro
Ndebele: ibhalabhala

Sable
Shona: ngwarati
Ndebele: ingwaladi

Gemsbok
Shona: ?
Ndebele: ingugama

Spotted Hyaena
Shona: bere
Ndebele: impisi

Baboon
Shona: gudo
Ndebele: indwangu
 
Nickname for Zebra: Pajama Donkey, Disco Pony
 
I have never hunted in Burkina-Faso but some friends did before the tragic events. They told me trackers used to call very often baboons by the name Michel.
 
I have never hunted in Burkina-Faso but some friends did before the tragic events. They told me trackers used to call very often baboons by the name Michel.

I have hunted in Burkina Faso many times, but I have never heard of anything like that. It probably depends on the hunting area. There were several hunting camps in different areas. I hunted in the east of the country, in the areas Ouamou and Singou, Gourmantché country.
 
Wow! I can’t wait for that report. I would love details now but I know you will do a great write up. I’m am teeming with jealousy
Thanks, I'll do my best and afterwards I can certainly share some more details.
 
I have never hunted in Burkina-Faso but some friends did before the tragic events. They told me trackers used to call very often baboons by the name Michel.

Do you know where they hunted?

A very well-known area was in the south, on the border of Ghana: the Ranch de Nazinga.
 
Do you know where they hunted?

A very well-known area was in the south, on the border of Ghana: the Ranch de Nazinga.
I'm not really sure about the name of the concession but the PH was Stéphane Binoist. I met him in 2015 in Namibia where I became his translator because his english was at that time really limited.
I heard Stéphane passed away in 2021.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,308
Messages
1,572,407
Members
169,561
Latest member
DPALorene0
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top