New Winchester M70

Voodooracer

Bronze supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
After my previous post debating between a m70 or a browning, I ended up deciding on the the Winchester and am very pleased!! I went with the M70 ultimate shadow in 325 wsm. The quality of the rifle is extremely impressive! The bolt is smooth as silk and the trigger, albeit slightly heavy, has no creep and breaks like glass. I put a leupold vx-2 4-12 on it. I hope to have it out this weekend to sight it in.
Voodooracer
image.jpg
image.jpg

Thanks! It looks like it's going to be a very accurate rifle.

Adjusting that trigger is a pretty easy thing to do btw. It's in the manual how to do it. Congrats on the new toy!

Adjusting that trigger is a pretty easy thing to do btw. It's in the manual how to do it. Congrats on the new toy!
Yes it is, once you get the glue/lock tight/gunk off the screw:eek:

I adjusted both of mine right down to about 3# and what a difference it made! Tightened up my groups at least a half inch.

Has anyone just completely backed the screw out completely and let it go without a screw in the hole? That is what I'm tempted to do.

Phil I agree. I purchased one of the "new" Columbia, SC / FN manufactured Winchester M70 Supergrade's in 270 Winchester a few years ago when they first hit the market because I had missed the boat back in 2006 when the New Haven plant closed, and I always said I was going to have a Winchester M70 Supergrade. Since that time I've acquired a Winchester M70 Classic (New Haven, CT manufacture) in 375 H&H, as well as a Winchester M70 Pre-64 barreled action in 270 WCF (1947 mfg. date) to convert to a 9.3 x 62 one day. Needless to say, I'm a big Winchester fan.

The new Winchester M70 Supergrade shoots as well as any rifle I have (Sub-MOA with Hornady Superformance 130 grain SST factory fodder), including some custom rifles I've had made. I know there's been some griping with the new MOA trigger, and it not being as easily adjustable, but Ive found it to break at a crisp 3 lbs with minimal creep or overtravel which for a hunting rifle is perfect I think. In fact, one of the first things I usually do with any factory rifle is replace the trigger with a premium aftermarket trigger like a Timney, etc., if they're available for the rifle. However, with this rifle, I've never felt the need to do so.

The fit and finish on the rifle was great, and the wood, on the Supergrade at least, is beautiful with a fair amount of fiddleback in the butt. I'm very happy with the rifle and will never part with it.

Anyway, my 2 cents............

Yes it is, once you get the glue/lock tight/gunk off the screw:eek:

I adjusted both of mine right down to about 3# and what a difference it made! Tightened up my groups at least a half inch.

Has anyone just completely backed the screw out completely and let it go without a screw in the hole? That is what I'm tempted to do.

But then you'd be going around shooting with a screw loose Bob! :p :) ;)

Phil I agree. I purchased one of the "new" Columbia, SC / FN manufactured Winchester M70 Supergrade's in 270 Winchester a few years ago when they first hit the market because I had missed the boat back in 2006 when the New Haven plant closed, and I always said I was going to have a Winchester M70 Supergrade. Since that time I've acquired a Winchester M70 Classic (New Haven, CT manufacture) in 375 H&H, as well as a Winchester M70 Pre-64 barreled action in 270 WCF (1947 mfg. date) to convert to a 9.3 x 62 one day. Needless to say, I'm a big Winchester fan.

The new Winchester M70 Supergrade shoots as well as any rifle I have (Sub-MOA with Hornady Superformance 130 grain SST factory fodder), including some custom rifles I've had made. I know there's been some griping with the new MOA trigger, and it not being as easily adjustable, but Ive found it to break at a crisp 3 lbs with minimal creep or overtravel which for a hunting rifle is perfect I think. In fact, one of the first things I usually do with any factory rifle is replace the trigger with a premium aftermarket trigger like a Timney, etc., if they're available for the rifle. However, with this rifle, I've never felt the need to do so.

The fit and finish on the rifle was great, and the wood, on the Supergrade at least, is beautiful with a fair amount of fiddleback in the butt. I'm very happy with the rifle and will never part with it.

My brother from a different mother!

But then you'd be going around shooting with a screw loose Bob! :p :) ;)
Hell no Phil! I don't want it loose... I want to throw the damned thing away completely!

Absolutely agree. I have one of the new supergrades in .264 Win mag. Absolutely beautiful, 1/2 inch groups with factory Nosler 130 gr!

The 325 WSM is a pretty impressive caliber, nice gun.

Nice rifle voodooracer.Im making the same decision now lol Cz 550 or new Winchester m70 pre64 in 308....
looks like m70 is always the 1 in the final.

Nice rifle voodooracer.Im making the same decision now lol Cz 550 or new Winchester m70 pre64 in 308....
looks like m70 is always the 1 in the final.

Good morning Cornelius

I stay in Meer en See - if you ever want to view a Mod70, you are more than welcome to come and have a look at mine.

Regards

Man that is awesome.
yes sure, Would love to come have a look.
Do you mind sending me a msg or whatsapp.072 499 2503. Im going to joburg on vriday to decide between the two lol

New M70s are a great rifle!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elkreaper17

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois