New name same opinions

Seriously, what would he have done on Active Duty that he didn't do as a Civilian? At his age, he would not qualify for training as a pilot, nor a surgeon, or even an Infantryman. He would have been directed by the War Department to do pretty much what he was already doing.

Again, serving or not serving is not an accurate way to judge character, positive or negative. I knew this guy well while I was at the MFFS in Yuma, Az. I don't think anyone would consider home a good role model simply because he served.

https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/20...ll-sentenced-to-prison-for-child-sex-offense/
Some of my classmates ran across the Canadian border fifty miles away to avoid the draft during the Vietnam War. I can still be friendly with them today even though I stayed behind, pulled out of college, and did my duty plus a year. But those guys keep their head down, around me anyway. They don't go around publicly wrapping themselves in the American flag making "patriotic" movies, etc.

Some of my classmates ran across the Canadian border fifty miles away to avoid the draft during the Vietnam War. I can still be friendly with them today even though I stayed behind, pulled out of college, and did my duty plus a year. But those guys keep their head down, around me anyway. They don't go around publicly wrapping themselves in the American flag making "patriotic" movies, etc.
I’m confused which country do you even identify with? Canada or the us. Your name is Ontario hunter but you keep identifying yourself as American.

I don’t know what the draft age was in the 40s, but when I signed up for selective service it was 18-25. I am 26 now. The Duke was 10 years too old by today’s standards.
Yes I realize it was way different, but 35 is pretty old, and he had Patric. And yes I realize lots of dads served.

Identifies with curmudgeonistan?:unsure:
IMG_1572.jpeg

Flying Sailor, you list only a partial quote from the 1964 movie “McClintock”, it was said by Duke after he pulled a sawed off shotgun from another man - that had been poking him in the belly with it. We must have a few older guys on this thread - since Wayne died in 1979 and I remember my 30 yr old secretary didn’t even know who he was (I shoulda fired her for that)
I have a pretty good size Engine Lathe in my machine shop. A Monarch, made right here in Ohio, 1952. 19" swing and 126" between centers. Big green machine weighs 10,000 lbs. You guessed it, I named him "Big Jake" what else?

I have a pretty good size Engine Lathe in my machine shop. A Monarch, made right here in Ohio, 1952. 19" swing and 126" between centers. Big green machine weighs 10,000 lbs. You guessed it, I named him "Big Jake" what else?
wish you were closer I got a 327 block I’d get you to shove out thirty thou, got a mill tucked in there somewhere for planing decks and heads?

Our local drag track has a 5.0 litre only class and If I can find a crank from a 283 I’d introduce those guys to a 302 chev

Dodging service, especially during WWII, is a good enough reason to judge him. Take a look at bios for his costars and all the other actors in "Flying Tigers." Almost all served. His female costar married her USO tour pilot. Wayne's male costar, Phillip Caroll, actually did time as an Army pilot and nearly died in a crash during North Africa campaign (broke his back). Even one of the Asian bit actors eventually died in a US Veterans hospital. Those five "propoganda films" Wayne made with RKO were pure BS. Total make-a-buck-quick B movies. They were ridiculously fakey. The Battan movie got the name right and pretty much nothing else. Total fiction. Even worse was the PT-boat movie. It's no wonder GIs shot to hell booed him off the stage at the Hawaii hospital (my dad may well have been one of them). He was making a mockery of the war and making money at it. How much was their salary? Every movie star who put aside his career to serve never saw their careers suffer after the war. Quite the opposite. But hey, those cheesey war flicks at least provided Wayne an opportunity to screw around on his wife with costar Marlina Dietrich. Yeah, he was a class act. And that John Wayne treading water shuffle. Ever wonder where that came from? He admitted he copied it from Tom Mix ... who was a genuine cowboy. Forgot to mention he used his wife and four little kids as a legitimate excuse to get out of the draft ... initially anyway. Until his philandering ended the marriage. Then he cried to the movie execs to intervene with the draft board because if he was drafted he claimed he would only be a private and he was better than that.
Ontario, WOW - sounds like You were there, even knew him…but then you often write with an expertise close to infallible. Now, regarding your rifle/hunting knowledge - you can be the Star of your own Movie (who‘s to know the truth?? And really who cares?). I’m trying to find your “point” here’s as it seems cluttered in the obvious: John Wayne wasn’t in WWII - well known by All for 80 years, John Wayne wasn’t a real Cowboy, War Hero, Cheated on his Wife? - shocking as that is for a Hollywood Star — It’s also well known for 80 years and Not uncommon In Hollywood or Politics. He also was a heavy drinker, 4-5 pak a day smoker, used foul language, didn’t support womens rights or gay rights etc.. What’s the next celebrity revelation - Madonna’s Not a Virgin? I would Not choose to contest one claim you’ve made, they might all be true, does that mean that he can’t be enjoyed for the Movies he made, can’t be appreciated as an actor or the “characters“ he played can Not be entertaining? I can’t stand one thing I’ve read about Tom Cruise - but he makes damn entertaining movies and I pay to watch them.
I didn’t know John Wayne as well as You, my Father was in WWII as was his Brother and my Mother’s 7 Uncles - none of them ever met JW but they all enjoyed his movies (and knew he never served). If you can only watch a movie where the Star is a real life Hero - watch “Audie Murphy” - Medal of Honor recipient in WWII and later turned that into a movie career. He was a real Hero, fearless in battle and someone to admire for his War record. His movies all “sucked” and he later became an abusive alcoholic — what should he be remembered for ? Both sides of his story are true. I admire people for “the Best things they did”, doesn’t excuse the bad —-but it provides other information and allows other opinions to be considered. That’s my POV but I don’t know it all.

Is there anyone you like or agree with? :unsure:

From that article:

And it goes on further attacking other mythical personalities like Ronald Reagen etc. while expressing his disdain for "social conservatives".

The whole article is a hit job on Duke in order to attack conservatives.
Tanks, there is No such thing as a HERO anymore, Washington, Lincoln, Columbus, Martin Luther King, Harry Truman (shouldn’t of dropped the Bomb - after having 80 years to “decide”)…and soon Jesus —- ALL judged against the worst things they did (or “might of done”) and somehow that erodes their former Great accomplishments. It’s the view of perfect hindsight combined with envy And it usually comes from those that have accomplished Nothing of note and will Not be remembered long after their next complaint, post, blog etc.. I also have a critical side, narrow minded in my own ways and doubt I’ll have any statues or Airports named after Me.

-I won’t be wrong, I won’t be insulted , I won’t be laid a hand apon. I don’t do these things to other men and I require the same from them

-if you give me one more gun I’ll play marching through Georgia

-I know I know I’m gonna use good judgement , I haven’t lost my temper in 40 years. But pilgrim you caused a lot of trouble this morning might of got somebody killed and somebody ought to belt you in the mouth but I won’t.. the hell I won’t.

-fill your hands you son of a bitch

-whatever happens my fault your fault nobody’s fault I gonna blow you head off.

-id say he’s so good he doesn’t feel he needs to prove it.

-don’t look at me , I’m just comfortable

-your not as smart as your brother he sees stumpy here and knows if anyone starts any trouble around the jail your gonna get shot accidental like.

-all we want to do is make you end up Rich and respectable and you fight us every step of the way

-just lead

I laid them out @HankBuck you list the movies.
@Tubby's canteen
But what do you know about vegimite???

Bob

...I also have a critical side, narrow minded in my own ways and doubt I’ll have any statues or Airports named after Me.
Some liberal Democrats here in Orange County have been trying to get the statue removed and the airport renamed due to his playboy interview back in 1971, calling him a racist and a misogynist.

Some liberal Democrats here in Orange County have been trying to get the statue removed and the airport renamed due to his playboy interview back in 1971, calling him a racist and a misogynist.
Tanks, I read that too - it takes a Lot to get celebrated and admired but only “one thing” to be criticized or hated. If you extrapulate only the bad things a person has done - we All look like sh-t and some of us have never done anything “great” to off set our faults or even done anything “noteworthy”. During the Vietnam War John Wayne was one of the few “vocal supporters” of both our Military and our Country for being involved in the War with the stated goal to stop the spread of Communsim, sure it’s easy now to cite the lies and faults and many Actors were silent or critical of our Government - Jane Fonda “humped” a Viet Cong Cannon and her movie career flourished afterwards - Oscars were awarded ! So, where am I going with this?? - No idea - just rambling along, someone needs to pull-my-plug (I like John Wayne movies, even though I never knew the Man).

I also believe Wayne didn't, like the fact that Clift was Gay

I also believe Wayne didn't, like the fact that Clift was Gay
There was never a mention of that and especially in 1948. His dislike of Clift - well documented, was the brooding, arrogant, and smug behavior Clift was known for. 10 years later it cost Clift a role in “Rio Bravo” that eventually went to Ricky Nelson - because Wayne didn’t want to work with him again and Clift’s career was on the decline and He needed that role. At least that is what I read and who really knows?

Is there anyone you like or agree with? :unsure:

From that article:

And it goes on further attacking other mythical personalities like Ronald Reagen etc. while expressing his disdain for "social conservatives".

The whole article is a hit job on Duke in order to attack conservatives.
That was my take, too. Totally groundless conservative bashing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ZGTS

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob