Eddie_GE

AH member
Reaction score
Hi, after checking this website for a few years, reading last days Ruark, Capstick and Robertson it is now time to join. I am shooting and hunting in Germany. Have three years left for flying single pilot HEMS in Europe until semiforced to end due to european law…
Thinking about Africa

Welcome aboard!

reading about africa is a good thing. Dreaming about africa is a good thing. Booking your hunt and preparing for africa is even better!
Glad you joined the site. You should check out books by Kevin Thomas while you are in Europe, pretty sure that’s where he ships from and they are a fine read

:S Welcome:

Welcome!

Giday Eddie and welcome to the A H forums

Greetings Eddie_GE,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

If you get around to it, another great Africa book is entitled, Hunter (by JA Hunter).
Upon reading it you will want a Magnum Mauser, in caliber .416 Rigby, or a reasonable copy of one, (such as the excellent CZ 550 Magnum, in .416 Rigby) John Hunter’s book as mentioned, certainly had that affect on me.

Another wonderful Africa book is entitled, African Rifles and Cartridges (by John “Pondoro” Taylor).
That book will have you wanting a Farguarson single shot, or a reasonable copy of one (such as the excellent single shot Ruger #1), in caliber .375 H&H.

Also when you have time, take a look into the Khomas Safaris web site.

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.

Good day, welcome from our side!

Welcome to AH Eddie_GE!

Welcome and look forward to your participation!

Greetings Eddie_GE,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

If you get around to it, another great Africa book is entitled, Hunter (by JA Hunter).
Upon reading it you will want a Magnum Mauser, in caliber .416 Rigby, or a reasonable copy of one, (such as the excellent CZ 550 Magnum, in .416 Rigby) John Hunter’s book as mentioned, certainly had that affect on me.

Another wonderful Africa book is entitled, African Rifles and Cartridges (by John “Pondoro” Taylor).
That book will have you wanting a Farguarson single shot, or a reasonable copy of one (such as the excellent single shot Ruger #1), in caliber .375 H&H.

Also when you have time, take a look into the Khomas Safaris web site.

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.
You are spot on. After browsing through this website I shot a .460 weatherby.
After that I wanted a Winchester in .416 but it was unavailable and the Mauser 98 in .416 Rigby out of the price range.
I ended with a new .375 H&H barrel for my trusty 9,3x62 scoped Mauser M03 and a new Winchester 70 in .375 H&H with Minox RV1 dot.
Hope this will be good for buff and plains game.
Best regards
Eddie

You are spot on. After browsing through this website I shot a .460 weatherby.
After that I wanted a Winchester in .416 but it was unavailable and the Mauser 98 in .416 Rigby out of the price range.
I ended with a new .375 H&H barrel for my trusty 9,3x62 scoped Mauser M03 and a new Winchester 70 in .375 H&H with Minox RV1 dot.
Hope this will be good for buff and plains game.
Best regards
Eddie
The .375 H&H is my favorite hunting cartridge for both Africa and here in Alaska where I live.
Also, your Winchester Model 70 Winchester is one of my favorite rifles, in any common caliber as well.
I do not know much if anything about the Mauser Model 03 or the Minox scope.
However if they are reliable and you are well practiced with them, I would be confident that you are going to enjoy some wonderful times in Africa.

PS:
I once watched a man fire a factory cartridge from a .460 Weatherby rifle.
The recoil looked so impressive, (both a lot of foot pounds and a very fast/snappy recoil as well).
For those who enjoy such rifles, I say bravo.
For me, no thank you.

Hard enough kickers for me, such as the .416 Rigby, .458 Winchester & Lott, the .500 NE Flanged, .500 Jeffery, .505 Gibbs, all fit slap bang into the category of almost more fun than I can stand (almost).

Last edited:
Welcome to AH!

:S Welcome: to AH!

Welcome! What have you been hunting in Germany?

Welcome! What have you been hunting in Germany?
Hi, small game, roe deer, fallow deer, red deer and boar.

IMG_5021.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross