New Lipseys M77 .35 Whelen

I really like mine so far, I bought some Barnes 180gr and 200gr to see what it likes and it shoots both very well. Probably gonna be my go-to for deer and elk this year.
@JoninCO
Just load some nice 225gn acubondsor 250gn Speers using Speers reloading data with CFE223 and go have fun
Bob

I really like mine so far, I bought some Barnes 180gr and 200gr to see what it likes and it shoots both very well. Probably gonna be my go-to for deer and elk this year.
My Whelen is a stainless Hawkeye and the 180 barnes was the only bullet it shot well when I got it.
I've killed 1 moose. 1 antelope , 1 whitetail and a turkey with it.
The moose only went about 40 yards with a double lung shot.

Would you mind sharing your load? I am interested in trying some lighter bullets as well. Are they the tipped Barnes bullets? Mine really likes the Norma oryx 250grain bullets, the only Barnes bullets I have are the 225tsx, which I don’t plan on using

My Whelen is a stainless Hawkeye and the 180 barnes was the only bullet it shot well when I got it.
I've killed 1 moose. 1 antelope , 1 whitetail and a turkey with it.
The moose only went about 40 yards with a double lung shot.
How far did the turkey go?

Would you mind sharing your load? I am interested in trying some lighter bullets as well. Are they the tipped Barnes bullets? Mine really likes the Norma oryx 250grain bullets, the only Barnes bullets I have are the 225tsx, which I don’t plan on using

Just the factory Barnes loads. I’ll use the brass and load up some heavier bullets but I haven’t narrowed it down yet. I’ve got all the dies and powder standing by.

Bob,
I didn’t have good luck with the 225’s, but I didn’t try CFE223. I may do it just to see
@Fryeguy
What twist is your barrel. It's unusual for a 35 not to shoot accurately. Mine ours anything from 200gn to 275gn into less than two inches with mixed bullet weights.
Bob

Bob,
I didn’t have good luck with the 225’s, but I didn’t try CFE223. I may do it just to see
@Fryeguy
Sierra has a great load for the 225gn gameking SPBT thats really packs a wallop and is very accurate in my rifle.
I started at the minimum of 66gn and worked up to their maximum of 70gn of CFE223.
The max load gave me 2,880fps with less than three quarters of an inch. Still had no pressure signs.
As usual this load was safe in my rifle so start low and work up.
Bob

@Fryeguy
What twist is your barrel. It's unusual for a 35 not to shoot accurately. Mine ours anything from 200gn to 275gn into less than two inches with mixed bullet weights.
Bob
It’s the lipsey model that just came out. I think I read somewhere it was a 12 twist? I did find a box of 280 aframes, and they did shoot accurately, but I don’t need to use those for anything here. I am going to try the cfe223 powder with 225 ballistic tips I have. See what it does. I will keep you posted but it may be a few weeks! I have read lots of great things about the Sierra 225 bullets and would love to find some, but haven’t found them in stock anywhere yet.

Attachments

• Rare & Desirable Ruger M77 Hawkeye 35 Whelen NIB No Reserve - Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker....pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 34
Wow, I will keep mine pristine and shoot my other 35 Whelens! Lol

That is insanity... but it could also be a scam. I have heard of people who arrange bidding wars on auction sites to drive demand and pricing up, and then cash in with real auctions later. They run up the price on a couple fake auctions to $5K, the next thing you know, people are paying 2.5K for a 1.5K rifle without batting an eye and feel like they stole it.

If you look at the bids and time stamps, one of the bidders has multiple bids within seconds of each other. Probably shill bidding to run up the pricing?

If you look at the bids and time stamps, one of the bidders has multiple bids within seconds of each other. Probably shill bidding to run up the pricing?
That indicates someone other than that individual was bidding but that the person showing multiple bids had a higher maximum set. So each time the other person placed a bid, it shows up as the higher-maximum bidder placing a new bid.

What’s crazy is that there’s 7 days left on the auction. Usually you don’t see a run up like that until closer to the closing.

The top bidder had to bid all the way up to overcome the previous bids, knowing full well what he might have to pay after each bid, and he has an A+ rating of 450 transactions.
These have dried up, just a couple of weeks ago they could still be found, but he may have deep pockets and really, really want one.
I think we are quick to call foul, shill bidders etc. Its easy to speculate, but hard to prove.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AudraQ7266

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you