New Guy From Texas

its all fun BB
though one day I am going to try one for dinner

Definitely, Bluey. I really want to try it as well. I want to fill up my freezer with six of those things by this winter. I hope I can do it. I'll have to borrow a friends shotgun and practice. I would like a .410 hammer double and a 12 gauge hammer double. I just like hammer guns. That's why I like hammered doubles, lever actions, and 1885 single shots(though I am a fan of the Savage 99 and the Ruger No. 1 and Ruger No. 3 and modern doubles as well).

Ribeye of the sky. My poor mother would never touch them so I better learn how to process game and cook too!

Little late here but, welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the forum Svar! Hope your health improves soon. Brian

No, 35bore. Won't be months before I do and I now wondering between the 35 Whelen and the 9.3X62. My father says that my health has to improve before we get our guns. I might take up our fellow members on their offers to come over and try their guns first.

Thank you Brian for the warm welcome and the well wishes!

Men, I will say this. I have been here only one day and I already feel so welcome. Thank you.

You are welcome, get better! Take care of yourself.

The 350 Rem Mag is a very versatile cartridge Svar and a good choice. Here is a mate of mine with a nice bull camel dropped with a 225 Woodleigh from his 350 rem mag.

Attachments

• 496b097c.jpg
    496b097c.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 121
Yes, Code4, I saw that before on that other thread and I enjoy your tales of Camel hunting. I do love the thought of having a short-action .35 Whelen which the .350 Rem Mag basically is. But the .35 Whelen is easier to come by and even if they stop making it, I can always use .30-06 cases when I start reloading.

Code4, I know that you are from Australia. What else do you hunt besides the camel?

Svar,

Oops a double posted photo. That is a bit embarrasing.

In Australia we have almost completely introduced feral game animals to hunt. We have lots of feral pigs (Boar/Hogs) and goats. Feral introduced deer species have good populations. Fallow, Red Deer and Chital. Camels and Water Buffalo are also present in good numbers but in hard to access places.

The really serious hunters shoot deer and many clubs exist to help them gain reliable access. Pig hunting and pig chasing with dogs is a more easily accessable and lower cost form of recreational hunting. Our hunting 'culture' grew from the need to exterminate these species. There are seasons on deer in some states due to lobbying from specific interest groups and they have achieved some measure of exclusivity.

We don't have seasons or permits.

Other Aussies maybe able to add info that I don't have/am not interested in.

I prefer to hunt on private property for free, without regulatory controls or intervention.

Haha, no problem, sir! But how do you get access to this private land? Do you own the land yourself?

I just want to throw in my favorite 338/06 I've used it several times in Africa. Love it!

I appoligize for not reading the whole thread earlier (seems I was given an introduction by spike)(Thank you spike). I don't know what illness you are fighting, but once you beat it "it" better run like hell, sounds like you'll be armed shortly. I don't even have to go into which rifle I would recommend. I have had my Whelen for well over a decade now and all my other rifles only get shot, not hunted with. The 35Whelen, 350 Remmie, and the 338-06 would be great choices as would be the 9.3's. As previously mentioned though, the availability of ammo would lean more toward the Whelen. I actually just saw that Hornady is now loading for my pet...... Might have to give them a try. Currently using the 225gr. TBBC Federal ammo. Shoots great.

You can buy those TBBC's so cheap, you should NEVER switch, that is PREMIUM load...it's a terrific VALUE.:)

I appoligize for not reading the whole thread earlier (seems I was given an introduction by spike)(Thank you spike). I don't know what illness you are fighting, but once you beat it "it" better run like hell, sounds like you'll be armed shortly. I don't even have to go into which rifle I would recommend. I have had my Whelen for well over a decade now and all my other rifles only get shot, not hunted with. The 35Whelen, 350 Remmie, and the 338-06 would be great choices as would be the 9.3's. As previously mentioned though, the availability of ammo would lean more toward the Whelen. I actually just saw that Hornady is now loading for my pet...... Might have to give them a try. Currently using the 225gr. TBBC Federal ammo. Shoots great.

my pleasure scott ,i just had to get in before you did and started on about that 35 whatsit thing you love ;) oh and thanks for the late mention of the 9.3`s in your post, very magnanimous of you :p. and yes svar hope you get well soon so you can put all your plans into place, and choose the correct calibre of course...:laughing::beer:

Welcome to AH Svar!

my pleasure scott ,i just had to get in before you did and started on about that 35 whatsit thing you love ;) oh and thanks for the late mention of the 9.3`s in your post, very magnanimous of you :p. and yes svar hope you get well soon so you can put all your plans into place, and choose the correct calibre of course...:laughing::beer:

35 whatsit HA, that's funny. You know you like 35's so don't act like you don't know whatsit they are my friend.

svar, where you at buddy? You have to keep us posted on what you are doing (and how you are doing) buddy. Hopefully your kicking some ass on that ailment, and about to make a rifle purchase. Let us know.

Men, I am doing fine. Things are turning around for me and my leukemia has been cured. I just have another set back that came as a result of this disease: pain-pill addiction. I'm going to go into rehab for this. Hopefully, I will be able to go to college in the fall. I am planning to go to Baylor University.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AshleyOyi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg