New guy, big shipping problem

Hoghunter

Reaction score
Hi folks,
I hate to introduce myself with a problem, but here I am.

My trophies from my first ever safari showed up today at the taxidermist. I had 7 trophies, and three were either not my animal or crushed. There is also a decaying odor coming from the crate, so I'm worried about my hides and capes. I am beside myself with anger.

The trophies went to the dip and pack taxidermist with metal tags clearly labeling them as mine wired to them. These tags are not on the animals. This is obviously a screw up from the dip and pack company. However, this is the company my PH recommended and spoke glowingly of.

One of the animals I received is actually much larger than the one I killed. As in barely mature versus record book. I don't want the trophy that is not mine, even if it is a nice one. I want the one that will take me back to the stalk and the shot. I bet another client is cussing a blue streak over the little one he was sent.

I'm not mentioning names yet, as I hope that something can be resolved with the dip and pack taxidermist. I have a feeling that I'm screwed, though.

These were not the "big ticket" animals, but I'm afraid the hide from my true trophy may be shot from the smell.

Has anyone else been through this before? Any recommendations over course of action? I can't reach the PH for a few days, so I'm just sitting here stewing.

Sorry to hear about your trouble, your not the first and won't be the last! I would like to say everything is going to be all right...but it won't. Do you have insurance on the animals? I hope you do. Send pictures of your animals that you took in Africa to the dip and pack company and the PH. Send pictures of the animals you received. That's about all I can think of....somebody might receive your animals in the U.S. and may want to exchange....don't want to give you hope.

I hate saying this because I have some problems of my own with Taxidermy...but stuff happens....I have come to believe you have to may top dollar and go with top companies to get good service. And if you truly want good memories from Africa. Take excellent pictures and skip the taxidermy all together....it save a ton of money.

Well, I can try to look at the bright side, at least I'll save money on taxidermy. I'll not be mounting someone else's animal no matter how nice it is.

I figure my chances of this being made right are about as good as winning powerball, so I think I have realistic expectations. The only power I have at this point is to name names, and I want to give the dip and pack business a chance to make it right (ROFL at my chances there), or the PH to try to make it right before I do that.
They treated me well while I was there and worked like crazy to get me my trophies, so I have some hope. We will see if the title Professional applies.

Truly sorry to hear about this Hoghunter. Your PH might not be reachable at this time but keep trying, himself or the hunting outfitter should be helping you dealing with the dip and pack people. Have you tried contacting them directly to get some explanations? enysse had some good suggestions regarding the pictures. They should be able to replace the damaged skins and crushed skulls, though you might have to pay for shipping again. Was your shipment sent by air or sea? Hope they can track down YOUR trophies and get that to you.

I got an e-mail back from the dip and pack facility today. They say that they just sent what the PH gave them. I saw the animals being tagged by the PH, and only one hide that I got back had that tag still on it. None of the skulls had a tag. I have to believe the PH did not take the tags off!

My PH contacted me and sounds outraged. I think he will be going to bat for me.

I'm just not going to expect satisfaction, so I won't be disappointed.

Blaming the PH is way too easy... Keep us posted.

This sounds very familiar. My first safari ended this way. Still don't have all my mounts. That was with Wild Game Safaris in South Africa. It's years later and i'm still battling to get a zebra rug. Got about 1/2 to 3/4 of my animals. Of that, the warthogs are not mine (a male and a female), a full body mount baboon never made the trip, my impalas look like they lost their hair in a windstorm, and some of my euro mounts were cracked and poorly boiled. The mounts that are complete look like frankenstein with stitching everywhere and eyes bulging out. I still get pissed thinking about it. My problem was a combination of poor field care and horrible taxidermy. The shipping was the only positive thing keeping it from being a tri-fecta from hell.

Sorry to hear the troubles Hoghunter.

I have heard horror stories too many times also. One of my clients had shot a huge warthog with monster tusks, but I received a small not even close skull/tusks. Luckily the Dip and Pack still had his. The Dip and Pack paid all the expenses.

Another clients Impala cape was not his for it had a huge bullet hole in it. One had tanning done in Africa, what a mistake then done it again his second trip. Cost him dearly to send the capes to my tannery and have redone. One had his animals mounted in Africa, when he received the crate, ears, noses etc, were broken off. I could go on and on.

Your told the taxidermy is cheaper in Africa and you can shoot a couple more animals for the dollars saved. Ya you can, what they don't tell you is what the shipping costs are now that your crate is 5 times the size if just skulls and skins are shipped.

African taxidermists do not have the availability of quality forms and products that we do here in the great USofA. I've been to a few as a hunter.

I hope things work out in your favor.

Well it is worse than we thought.
There are beetles,live, in the hides. My nyala has a huge patch of hair missing on the neck. IMHO it is toast. All the hides have hair loss.

I'm just sick. This is not the PH's fault except for using this company and he claims he has had good luck with them in the past.

He is also talking lawsuit and reporting the taxidermist to their professional organizations

I hope it is not just noise. I told him to go down and personally check things for his other clients.

I can cross being ripped off by an African taxidermist off my bucket list.

Hoghunter, I feel for your troubles.

I think everyone has to take a step back and really prepare for the taxidermy and shipping before they go to Africa, really learn the in's and out's of the business....I can't stress how important....after the hunt preparations are....the costs, the quality of care and the consequences of not doing it correct.

I feel sorry everytime somebody doesn't get their animals back and they can't relive the hunt through their mounts.

Hoghunter, replacement capes and remounting...cost money...it can be done...but for the most part your memories aren't going to be good.

A small update, the PH is pursuing legal action against the taxidermist. My taxidermist has sent reports and photos to him, and I have forwarded the forms sent by the shipping company.

I'll post if there is a good resolution.

My African Hunting mentor put it in perspective for me. He had a huge lion and a very good sable just disappear from his African taxidermist. He had already built his Africa room onto his house, designed around a full mount lion that never arrived.

Who was the hunt with? Outfitter and taxidermist....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg