New from Idaho

Welcome to AH !

You already had good advises from some of the members, look around our Outfitter Sponsors, you will find better prices.

The package I'm going with includes the following:
1 Impala
1 warthog
1 black wildebeest
1 zebra
split between two hunters. We will be able to pick up additional animals we come across when we are there so depending on what we see, I might come back with more than just those animals.

So 2 people have to split 4 animals?

Can I ask how much money you have in this per person?

I'm thinking one of two things.

1. If you're not in this for too much money, you may consider calling this a loss and book with someone else. You may come out ahead...

2. If you're not in this for too much money, then this may be salvageable. Contact the outfitter and see if they can give you a better price on some of the animals on the price list. First impression, the additional Zebra is a tad high but it isn't a terrible price relative to everything else --- I'd probably suck it up and leave that price alone. IMO, an impala is a must but not at $1000 (laughing and sighing at the same time right now) --- see if they can do a second impala for $600. If you like the springbok, inquire about the same price. The Blue Wildebeest would be more reasonable at $1200.
IF they are willing to work with you, have them itemize each animal and include the price in the contract. Don't agree to a package price unless the verbiage is clear what happens in the event you don't take one of the animals.

Don't let it deter you. Come up with the best plan and have a good trip.

Anyone been out with global safari or Ubathi South Africa? That's the group we will be going with.
KodyK

Let me know how your trip goes. I also picked up the same package from the same outfitter at a silent auction, and have been scouring the forums for info. I am looking at this time next year for my trip.

Wow, looking at the price list they have on their website compared to some of the sponsors on here they definitely have some inflated prices.
But if your auction was cheap enough and you average the animals it might work out to be similar. Just a thought.

I've been wondering about pricing also. I got my package for pretty cheap, so I thought maybe on average it would work out like akeate said. But if they are way too high, that makes me a little anxious - I was planning on adding a few animals, but don't want to overpay by a ton. Do you have some price lists from other folks you could share?

FYI KodyK, I have a number for a US rep for Global/Ubathi in New Mexico. Message me if you would like his number. He's currently out of country - back with Global for his 3rd safari with them.

The other thing to consider is hunting a few days with another outfitter. Just use the same dip and pack for the trophies. If needed tell the first outfit you only want to hunt 5 days and move on to the other for 5 more days. Just something to consider. Bruce

KodyK

Let me know how your trip goes. I also picked up the same package from the same outfitter at a silent auction, and have been scouring the forums for info. I am looking at this time next year for my trip.

I've been wondering about pricing also. I got my package for pretty cheap, so I thought maybe on average it would work out like akeate said. But if they are way too high, that makes me a little anxious - I was planning on adding a few animals, but don't want to overpay by a ton. Do you have some price lists from other folks you could share?

FYI KodyK, I have a number for a US rep for Global/Ubathi in New Mexico. Message me if you would like his number. He's currently out of country - back with Global for his 3rd safari with them.

Yeah I'm not paying anything for the package since it was purchased at an auction by my buddy. I'm just in the cost of the flight. I'm thinking I will just hunt the included animals and enjoy the trip without getting buyers remorse from taking overpriced additional animals. I am hoping to contact a taxidermy place there and see if I could just get some unclaimed euro mounts to bring back some more horns.

I was looking at KMG safaris price list. I think they are a sponsor on this site and their prices are much better.

1. If you're not in this for too much money, you may consider calling this a loss and book with someone else. You may come out ahead...

2. If you're not in this for too much money, then this may be salvageable. Contact the outfitter and see if they can give you a better price on some of the animals on the price list. First impression, the additional Zebra is a tad high but it isn't a terrible price relative to everything else --- I'd probably suck it up and leave that price alone. IMO, an impala is a must but not at $1000 (laughing and sighing at the same time right now) --- see if they can do a second impala for $600. If you like the springbok, inquire about the same price. The Blue Wildebeest would be more reasonable at $1200.
IF they are willing to work with you, have them itemize each animal and include the price in the contract. Don't agree to a package price unless the verbiage is clear what happens in the event you don't take one of the animals.

Thanks for the info. This is super helpful. A buddy bought the auction and just invited some friends to join at the cost of a plane ticket so I'm not in that much yet. I'm thinking I will just enjoy the trip and the included animals and use it to plan my next trip with a more affordable outfitter. I'm also hoping to connect with a taxidermist and maybe bring home some euro mounts just for fun even if I didn't harvest them.

So in my case, I'm in for $700. The animals I get (that are included, confirmed in writing with the outfitter already) total $4450 per their pricelist. I have a few other animals (Kudu, Waterbuck, Gemsbuck, Caracal) I want to add that total $8300 per the pricelist. All told it comes to $19750 per the pricelist (including the day rates), of which I will pay $9000. I'm assuming the airfare and taxidermy to be a wash either way, as no matter if I go with them or someone else that bill should be the same (assuming I can shoot all the animals I want). So bottom line, is $9000 reasonable for the following

10 days/9 nights
2 hunters
Zebra
Impala
Warthog
Blue Wildebeest
Kudu
Waterbuck
Gemsbuck
Caracal

Yes very reasonable!

So bottom line, is $9000 reasonable for the following

10 days/9 nights
2 hunters
Zebra
Impala
Warthog
Blue Wildebeest
Kudu
Waterbuck
Gemsbuck
Caracal

For whatever reason, I feel like I'm a little confused by something. But to answer your direct question. If 2 people share those 8 animals and grand total for both people combined is 9k, then yes that is a great deal.

Hopefully I can clarify a little bit. The hunt was a donated hunt at a fundraiser dinner. I somehow won the bid with a $700 bid. The hunt includes all day rates, accommodations, transport to/from airport....PLUS the trophy fees for the first 4 animals on that list I posted (zebra, impala, warthog, blue wildebeest). So if I shoot no additional animals, I'm only paying $700. If I take the 4 additional animals (kudu, waterbuck, gemsbuck and caracal), I'm paying $9K.

Yes. That is very reasonable and a win for all involved. It took me 12 trips to get a caracal...... bahaha

Well I'm glad the price looks good, but now I'm worried about that caracal......thanks akeate!

Dogs or spotlight..... you will get it done. I have faith:)

KodyK
Talk to Marius at KMG He will steer you right for 2nd safari. Best of luck

Yeah I'm not paying anything for the package since it was purchased at an auction by my buddy. I'm just in the cost of the flight. I'm thinking I will just hunt the included animals and enjoy the trip without getting buyers remorse from taking overpriced additional animals. I am hoping to contact a taxidermy place there and see if I could just get some unclaimed euro mounts to bring back some more horns.

I was looking at KMG safaris price list. I think they are a sponsor on this site and their prices are much better.

Just my 2 bits, from a fellow Idahoan by the way :), I would do some careful math. As you have mentioned, you will only be into this trip for the cost of the flight. You are way ahead of the game on day fees and the included animals. Consider the TOTAL cost of going back on another safari to pick up those animals you would like to have. That will at least include another round of airfare, probably day rates, and then the trophy fees for the animals you go back for.
I agree that the trophy fees from the price list posted are more toward the expensive side, but not stupid expensive. I would politely bring up with your outfitter that you would really like to hunt some more animals, but wonder if he may have some room to negotiate a bit on trophy fees on certain animals.
Safari Operators are generally masters at The Art of the Deal ;) He will very likely have animals such as Warthog, Impala, Baboon, Vervet Monkey, Blesbuck and others that are somewhat "non premium" game that he will be happy to wheel and deal with you on. Things like Kudu, Gemsbok, Bushbuck, Nyala maybe not so much... I guarantee you he would much rather talk about it and at least have the opportunity to make the deal rather than have you say nothing and have NO opportunity.
Go and have a great time and don't get too hung up on a few hundred bucks. From what you have shared with us, I think you are going to come out just fine!
I hope you have a wonderful trip and can't wait to go back.

Thanks that is great advice. I really want to go on another trip in the future but it's not so easy to convince my better half this needs to happen again. So I will for sure reach out and make the most of this trip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cheesehead

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.