New from Idaho

KodyK

Reaction score
Going on my first trip with some friends. Never been before and trying to do as much research as possible so that I'm well prepared when I get there. This site has been extremely helpful in reading other people's experiences. This trip is part of a package my friend purchased in an auction so I have not had any direct interaction with the professional hunting group. I've been reviewing their website and it has been helpful, but I have to say there has been so much more information on this site.

The package I'm going with includes the following:
1 Impala
1 warthog
1 black wildebeest
1 zebra
split between two hunters. We will be able to pick up additional animals we come across when we are there so depending on what we see, I might come back with more than just those animals.

I have wondered, there are some great animals out there, if I don't see any while I'm hunting, are there taxidermy shops or places where I could pick up a euro mount of some of the different plains game? Just curious about bringing home some items for the collection even if I am not able to shoot them myself.

Welcome to AH! As far as your question goes I'd ask your outfitter to put you in contact with the local taxidermists and ask them. It wouldn't surprise me if they have leftover or unpaid for trophies they'd sell.

Welcome aboard! Im sure you come across plenty of species on an opportunity basis! Just have in mind ither species that interest you before you go so you can make those split second decisions in the field.

Welcome to AH KodyK!

I'd bet you will have plenty of opportunity to fill your list and some extras, if you desire.

Welcome to AH.

Basically any hunting operator worth a darn will help you get whatever animals you want. Yes there may be one you just can't find. But usually there will be plenty to choose from. My suggestion is to make a list of whatever animals you would like to hunt. Perhaps a A list and a B list. Different animals have different habitats that they hang out in. Your PH is likely to know where to find those animals. He may even have a specific animal that he has seen that he will take you to hunt. Those auction hunts usually return little to nothing to the outfitter. He if hoping that you want to shoot some more animals while there.
Look at his price list and make sure your wanted animals are in your budget. I have seen some places where their prices were on the very high end so they could make back some of the advertising $$ from the hunt donation. So do some checking of prices before you shoot. Best of luck and we would love to see a hunt report. By the way welcome to AH. Bruce

Welcome to AH sir! Hope you have the time of your life on this hunt.

Anyone been out with global safari or Ubathi South Africa? That's the group we will be going with.

Welcome to AH. Rest assured your problem will not be to find the trophies you want but rather to limit them. Wallets and walls are only soo..oo big.

Welcome kody
Shoot straight and you'll have no trouble Taxidermists usually have stuff left over just like in Idaho. Remember to laugh no matter what. Best of luck and welcome
Jacques

Those auction hunts usually return little to nothing to the outfitter. He if hoping that you want to shoot some more animals while there.
Look at his price list and make sure your wanted animals are in your budget. I have seen some places where their prices were on the very high end so they could make back some of the advertising $$ from the hunt donation. So do some checking of prices before you shoot.

That is certainly good advice - prices on other animals could be hyper-inflated.

Only you can make the decision if you want (ie) a kudu at double the price of other reputable outfitters because it might be the only time you ever go.

There are normally a few animals on those expensive lists that are still a decent price (blesbok for example could be one).

Let us know the price list and we can tell you what is a decent price and what is stupid expensive.

Welcome Kody! I've vacationed near Bonner's Ferry and near Salmon. Magnificent country!
Once you've hunted in Africa, I'd almost bet you'll plan your next trip on the flight home:D
Best

That's the truth. I feel like I'm already thinking about going back for another trip and I don't go on the first one until September.

Welcome. Always nice to welcome a fellow Idahoan!

Welcome to AH.

That is certainly good advice - prices on other animals could be hyper-inflated.

Only you can make the decision if you want (ie) a kudu at double the price of other reputable outfitters because it might be the only time you ever go.

There are normally a few animals on those expensive lists that are still a decent price (blesbok for example could be one).

Let us know the price list and we can tell you what is a decent price and what is stupid expensive.

Wow, looking at the price list they have on their website compared to some of the sponsors on here they definitely have some inflated prices. I may stick to the list of animals included in the package and wait for my next trip to take any additional animals. I'm already thinking I want to go on a second trip!

upload_2017-4-19_16-34-24.png

That's a tough price list. Day fees are reasonable. But if your auction was cheap enough and you average the animals it might work out to be similar. Just a thought.

And I second Ridgewalker. You will be an addict like the rest of us :)

And

Welcome to AH!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois