new cartridge

Maybe I am being a curmudeon, but:

- What will this cartridge do that a .243, .260, 7mm-08, 6.5CM won't do? If you want to cross action lengths, then one could throw into the fight 7mm Mauser, .270WIN, .284
- What could they have done with the development funds wasted on this newest "greatest thing since sliced bread" cartridge if they had used it to buy more .22LR/5.56x45/.308WIN machinery?

Call me in ten years...
This was my thoughts exactly. They made a lot of money in 2020, could've hired a bunch of people and bought new equipment to crank out more of the rounds that flew off the shelves all year, instead of coming out with a round for a rifle nobody owns.

that is the whole idea.
get people to "need" a new rifle.
bruce.
Exactly. On another 6.5 thread here, the OP was looking for a rifle for his daughter. He stated the only ammo he could find in the store was 6.5 Creedmoor, so he bought the ammo and of course the store had a rifle chambered in that, so he bought the rifle. He stated he wasn’t looking for that particular cartridge, but he had no choice. I wonder how much of the newer cartridge ammo is being “pushed” (and available) by the rifle/ammo manufacturers at the expense of contemporary rifle ammo?

this case had 257 and 358 written all over it.
simply change neck diameter and it is ready to go.
ig you already have 30/06 length actions, you can cut some out of the rails and reweld them to create a short action.
then cut a bit out of the bolt and reweld it so it fits the action.
mauser used to do this so it can be done.
the 25 could then be your varmint rifle and the 35 your hunting rifle.
only problem is that when the manufacturers drop the parent round like a bag of hot shit, to promote some newer even better case, you might not be able to get brass.
bruce.

bob,
they are all wrong.
that is in fact a really good idea.
especially if it had a 30 degree shoulder for added accuracy.
actually if you made a 7x64 it might get confused with the original of that name.
bruce.

Just do what Remington did and base everything off the rimless 404J case to make the RUM’s.
So it would be a 6.8x404.
That should give you enough case capacity to drive a bullet over 3800fps.
And you could probably do it with a 180 grain pill.
Of course the barrel would only last for 100 shots :rolleyes:

Why not go a measly 13 thousandths bigger than a 6.5 creedmoor and gain an advantage that can only be expressed using mathematics, since any actual effect on game will be indistinguishable from any of the other 30 similarly equipped rifle cartridges?!?? Ridiculous. I hear the arguments all the time.

Manbun McSniper: *overhears me asking for rifle brass at the gunshop* "Your *insert cartridge here* only has 783 ft-lbs left at 1,400 yards and this new 6.8 Western has 802!"

Me: :rolleyes: "That's like saying that, in the event of an outer space invasion, your 1.002 oz ingot of gold is worth more than my 1 oz. ingot. While it is technically true, it is completely unrealistic and practically and effectively insignificant."

Manbun McSniper: "well what if you have a deer at 980 yards and you can't shoot because your stupid, puny little..........."<--- that's me walking away.

I'm certainly not old enough to be considered an old curmudgeon but sometimes I feel like I need to get with the times. My owned calibers are 22lr, 223, 7.62x39, 7x57, 7.62x54, 2x 30/06, 458wm and 44spl. I ran out of interest in the new super-duper calibers in my early twenties. The only fancy caliber I have ever coveted is the .338 Lapua if I had a worthy place to shoot it.

Man I'm boring.

I'm certainly not old enough to be considered an old curmudgeon but sometimes I feel like I need to get with the times. My owned calibers are 22lr, 223, 7.62x39, 7x57, 7.62x54, 2x 30/06, 458wm and 44spl. I ran out of interest in the new super-duper calibers in my early twenties. The only fancy caliber I have ever coveted is the .338 Lapua if I had a worthy place to shoot it.

Man I'm boring.
I don't think with the above selection of calibers your boring at all. If you really want a Lapua, save your money and buy one. My .338WM is perfect for me, but to each their own and variety is the spice of life. An OP stated on this site, "You only get so many heartbeats in your life, so live life to the fullest" (or something like that).

Why not go a measly 13 thousandths bigger than a 6.5 creedmoor and gain an advantage that can only be expressed using mathematics, since any actual effect on game will be indistinguishable from any of the other 30 similarly equipped rifle cartridges?!?? Ridiculous. I hear the arguments all the time.

Manbun McSniper: *overhears me asking for rifle brass at the gunshop* "Your *insert cartridge here* only has 783 ft-lbs left at 1,400 yards and this new 6.8 Western has 802!"

Me: :rolleyes: "That's like saying that, in the event of an outer space invasion, your 1.002 oz ingot of gold is worth more than my 1 oz. ingot. While it is technically true, it is completely unrealistic and practically and effectively insignificant."

Manbun McSniper: "well what if you have a deer at 980 yards and you can't shoot because your stupid, puny little..........."<--- that's me walking away.
chris,
extensive use of 6.5/06 vs 270 win has clearly demonstrated and advantage to the 270 in terminal results.
same with 6.5x55 vs 270, but more so.
the creedmoor is less powerful than either the above 6.5s, and has less point blank range.
and the new cartridge looks more powerful than the 270 win?
bruce.

No. 6.8-.378! really turn the velocity up and soak that BC in. Nothing comes free, but it would retain energy and punch hard for a .277.
I like it! But, I have lots of .338 brass and I'm sure .378 brass is as rare to find now as Bob having .243 brass laying around his house.

If ammo availability wasn't an issue, I'd have a 375RUM over the H&H for sure.
But it is.
The RUM is flat out a better cartridge.
But it didn't prevent it from obscurity.

Sadly, it may be the same for the 6.8WST.

But it is.

Sadly, it may be the same for the 6.8WST.
Yeah, these ancient cartridges like the .375 H and H and .458 WM seem to have some ammo and brass available most everywhere on-line. GB has a lot of stuff even now, but try and find Lott or .375 something else, and good luck. I guess longevity has it's benefits?

But it is.

Love the 375 RUM. Assuming you build you're own, components are cheap compared to other similar cartridges due to that obscurity... you may have helped me talk myself into one now...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdrieneRun

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois