New allround knife?

My favourite one from them was the idun ..bought it at the Madrid hunting show around 10 or more years ago...they had the Damascus blade version there as well....but somehow sanity prevailed.....then I ended up on the town with some new zealand outfitters and the Damascus knife would have been so much cheaper......:E Doh:...forgot about this one as it's one of the ones gone AWOL...but consider it..very nice knife
Fällkniven Idun is beautiful knife. Btw, did you know that Idun was a godess in our old Aesir faith? If my memory serves me right, she was the godess over fertility..

3B466D86-BCB5-44E0-8866-4A28741B372C.jpeg

Here is mine every day carry. Its small, its cheap and its good quality. Really doesent need anything else. But i want..
View attachment 347046
I EDC ( Every Day Carry ) a Buck Model 110 . It is an older model ( But in spotless condition ) and has a 440 C stainless steel blade ( as opposed to the 420 High Carbon stainless steel blades found on newer models ) . While it loses it's razor sharp edge , relatively quickly ... it holds a working edge long enough to field dress 2 cheetal deer ... before I strop it a few times on a coarse piece of leather and have it shaving sharp , once more .
Only 1 word of warning is requisite : Never , EVER attempt to sharpen a 440 C stainless steel blade on Arkansas stones ... unless you wish to kill your entire day . Use a diamond home , or better yet ... Silicone Carbide .

View attachment 347084
Here is mine every day carry. Its small, its cheap and its good quality. Really doesent need anything else. But i want..
That is a magnificent looking Swedish folding knife , Lakebranch338 .
I understand the appeal of collecting multiple knives ... As well . I currently have 19 in my collection . Obviously , my collection shall not end here .
I would highly recommend getting a D ' Holder custom made knife . These are made by custom knife maker , D ' Alton Holder and utilize blades made from the finest ATS-34 stainless steel .
Fellow forum member @Von Gruff also makes exceptionally beautiful knives , as well . I have heard extremely good things about 01 tool steel blades .

For me a hunting knife is the same as a rifle, it is a tool that I use to get the job done. I use a simple Muela drop point hunter, when it is worn out I replace it, it is the one I carry with me. For skinning and caping I have special knifes for that they stay in the truck...skinner has his preference and I keep him stocked up with those....

9456112F-C76A-44E9-A4E0-C61CBE1FE6A7.jpeg
And this one i removed the scandi grind on today and gave it more of a convex one.
Im almost satisfied with it now. Need to build my self a leather strop though.

As for one more allround knife. Im almost sure it will be a Fällkniven S1x with a leather sheath now. Seems like a good size and leaves room for more and both bigger and smaller knifes too..:D

The custom one will have to wait. But that day will come too im sure.

Last edited:
@IvW, Muela is a good choice for a working knife, I have three which were customized for me at the factory.

I had a huge collection of edged weapons, swords, machetes, bayonets, knives, folders, about 200 pieces, but got rid of most of it, just no space to display the collection, and no male heir !

Now I just have five custom handmade knives whose makers are good friends of mine, and seven factory knives I keep for one reason or another. I also have about 20 folders, one is custom.

I don't understand the "all around knife". It sounds as if someone wants a piece of steel that can be used for everything from chiseling stone and striking a magnesium fire-starter to cutting kindling and turning an animal into meat. It just makes more sense to me to have a knife that is suited to specific tasks. More tasks = more knives.

I don't understand the "all around knife". It sounds as if someone wants a piece of steel that can be used for everything from chiseling stone and striking a magnesium fire-starter to cutting kindling and turning an animal into meat. It just makes more sense to me to have a knife that is suited to specific tasks. More tasks = more knives.
Ah yes for sure. But, im more inclined to pay $400 for a knife that i can use for everything rather then a very specific usage. I for one, sure can own alot of those kind of knifes anyway.

I agree wholeheartedly. My pocket knife gets used to strip wire, open boxes, scrape muck, skin squirrels and remove the occasional splinter. It’s kinda gross. I wouldn’t use it to make dinner. I keep a box with different knives in the truck box for cooking and more serious skinning needs.

That is a magnificent looking Swedish folding knife , Lakebranch338 .
I understand the appeal of collecting multiple knives ... As well . I currently have 19 in my collection . Obviously , my collection shall not end here .
I would highly recommend getting a D ' Holder custom made knife . These are made by custom knife maker , D ' Alton Holder and utilize blades made from the finest ATS-34 stainless steel .
Fellow forum member @Von Gruff also makes exceptionally beautiful knives , as well . I have heard extremely good things about 01 tool steel blades .
Friend Ponton
My 2 favorites are the grohman Canadian belt knife and my blade runner Skinner
20200407_215012.jpg

The grohman is a flat grind carbon steel
The blade runner has a stainless steel blade
Both hold a razor sharp edge for a long time.
Keep safe and well my friend
Bob

Lately I have become enamored with Damascus blades. I have 4 now and just like to sit and look at them before I sharpen which doesn’t happen often enough.

Like you, I have more knives than I will ever get to use or even have to re-sharpen. And I am NOT a knife collector!! I think knives just happen. They are usually not that expensive, are fairly easy to obtain and don't carry the baggage of "restrictive govmnt. crap" that firearms do... yet. I have most varieties: from 3-4 hundred year-old antiques to hand-me-down junk to good quality utility types to fairly expensive custom. A few of the Bucks that I class as good quality utility, have already lasted a lifetime and they are hard to fault.

I've had a stainless Rapala (Marttiini) fillet knife for quite a while- practical, easy to sharpen and does exactly what it is supposed to do. Recently I've purchased a couple of carbon steel Nordic utility varieties. A Mora and a Marttiini. They reflect pure utility, with ergonomic, no slip handles. Time will tell about the steel- supposed to be decent quality. I can't help but believe they too will give a lifetime of good service. At about 15$ each shipped, really hard to argue with giving them a try. :)

View attachment 347003
The first deer I killed with my hand loaded 9x56 MS I had just finished field dressing and when I stood up here was a mora knife sticking out of a tree right in front of my face. It was quite rusty but when I got it home it cleaned up nicely with honing oil and steel wool. A couple of strokes on an Arkansas whetstone and a few strokes on a barbers leather strope and it was razor sharp again. Now goes with me when I take out the Mannlicher. Some serious karma there.

For me a hunting knife is the same as a rifle, it is a tool that I use to get the job done. I use a simple Muela drop point hunter, when it is worn out I replace it, it is the one I carry with me. For skinning and caping I have special knifes for that they stay in the truck...skinner has his preference and I keep him stocked up with those....
Noted,
I ordered a Von Gruff, I want one belt knife that will be carried hunting and was designed and made for me. Like the OP I have numerous production knives nothing fancy but some for butchering others for kitchen use and a couple of skinners. They just happened, a mate selling butchering gear once, some Mitchell engineering knives found online I used helping a roo shooter. A Svord I found in a gunshop and decided I wanted. It stays in the car I travel a lot and have dispatched others roadkill numerous times.
I cannot afford a custom rifle , I can have a custom knife. My Tikka rifles are tools that get the job done I would like a Sako and others but it won’t be any substantial change in my hunting neither will the knife but it will be with me when I hunt and hopefully be multi purpose within reason. Quality still and workmanship , something pleasing to me and I can cut a Hotdog if it’s clean. Of course it will be clean I will look after it.

@CBH Australia you will be pleased with the Von Gruff knife! I ordered three from him as gifts and was/am very impressed with the craftsmanship. @Lakebranch338 you should venture on to Von Gruff’s website and just peek, you might find something just right. But buy two because knives are wonderful gifts!

A knife becomes an extension of your body, when one works well the precision and efficiency are such a joy. A knife can quickly gain miles and experiences with you so when you hold it it seems to blend those happy memories of adventure together.

I usually carry 2 knives when I hunt. Sometimes a 3rd teeny folding pocket knife comes along too, which is the subject of much humor because of its diminutive 2” blade, but it gets used!

@Major Khan I have 2 of the buck knives in your photo. Each of my grandfathers carried that knife and they were passed to me. I have processed many animals with those knives. I haven’t asked how old the knives are, but I would guess over 50 years old. Do you know when Buck started making them?

7DECD3C7-1D6D-4A8B-A389-1955EE15459E.jpeg
This is a knife made by a Croatian knife maker, Željko Žido, he has many others in his range. Each knife is made individually for you. Cost €135 upwards plus shipping. You can find him on Facebook.

@CBH Australia you will be pleased with the Von Gruff knife! I ordered three from him as gifts and was/am very impressed with the craftsmanship. @Lakebranch338 you should venture on to Von Gruff’s website and just peek, you might find something just right. But buy two because knives are wonderful gifts!

A knife becomes an extension of your body, when one works well the precision and efficiency are such a joy. A knife can quickly gain miles and experiences with you so when you hold it it seems to blend those happy memories of adventure together.

I usually carry 2 knives when I hunt. Sometimes a 3rd teeny folding pocket knife comes along too, which is the subject of much humor because of its diminutive 2” blade, but it gets used!

@Major Khan I have 2 of the buck knives in your photo. Each of my grandfathers carried that knife and they were passed to me. I have processed many animals with those knives. I haven’t asked how old the knives are, but I would guess over 50 years old. Do you know when Buck started making them?
Buck started making the 110 folder in 1964.

I love the Buck 110 as well. While I respect that some really appreciate custom and high end knives, I prefer quality but basic knives such as Buck (for hunting), Ka-bar (utility knife for camping) and Spyderco (for EDC). If I lose it, no big deal. I incidentally never lost one but had one stolen in a break-in once.

This is an interesting one, a Damascus bought at Purdey's, London. Nice compact size, walnut handle, all very good, but they sell them blunt! I suppose for safety? Anyway, try as I may I just couldn't get an edge on it. Eventually re-hardened the edge to dead hard and put a very light temper on it only. Then my knife-making friend bevel ground a broad edge on it and I took the fine stone and strop to that. Now it shaves, and hopefully it will get the skinning test soon.
7CED389E-E5B3-4575-9829-C063E6050094.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SylviaSelf

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!