New 2026 Broadhead Test Regimen

Bowhuntr64

AH fanatic
Joined
Aug 31, 2012
Messages
503
Reaction score
450
Location
Palmer Lake, CO
Website
www.youtube.com
Media
16
Articles
1
Hunting reports
Africa
2
Hunted
Canada, Philippines, USA, South Africa, Argentina
Check out my new 2026 Broadhead Test Process...better than ever before. Please sub, share, & stay tuned!

 
More 'scientific' bow & arrow testing:

Was hunting on a friend's farm. To get to my stand I was crossing a field where the cows were kept. Well, one of the old girls kicked the bucket. When I found her, she was still about lukewarm. No idea what killed her, she just laid down with the rest of the herd and died right there; no struggle, nothing. Guess we all need to go like that...

Anyway, to make a long story even longer, I came back to next day to find about 20 buzzards doing what they do best. Since they had already added insult to injury (and they cant get past the hide to really to a good job of getting it cleaned up), I thought I would run an experiment with my bow and get some preseason practice in. Got 2219's, pine shafts, and cedar. I had one bh, a Rocky Mtn Razor. I shot it and, well, it was ok. Good penetration until it hit the spine. It lodge in and died right there.

This is where it gets interesting. The rest of my arrows had field points. The cow was already starting to swell (the legs had attained lift-off). It needed a hole started to get the gas out and the birds/coyotes in, so I shot it. The arrow hit solid and bounced straight back at me. Now I was using a Howatt Hunter with 60# pull. Aluminums, wood, they all came back. Approx 60 attempts, not one single entry.

This is really not scientific, and I did not have a Magnus, etc. to test the cut on impact heads. I did, however, come to the conclusion that if anyone goes to Africa to hunt those cape buffalo, you need a lot of bow and a damned serious head. BTW, the four blade broadhead I used only went in 1/2". That is where it will stay too; it flew terrible, and the cow can have it as far as I am concerned.

So, there you have it. Maybe someone can use this information. At least now we all know that you cannot kill a dead cow with field points.

You got to be careful with your shooting distance from the cow due to the bounce backs. No kidding, the average return length from the cow was 3 feet. I did have one bounce up INTO a bush about 5 ft from the carcass. I had to sit and look at that a moment...

BTW, if anyone tries this, remember you can push a buzzard too far. When they start landing next to you while you are shooting, it is time to leave them to their meal and find a stump.
 
More 'scientific' bow & arrow testing:

Was hunting on a friend's farm. To get to my stand I was crossing a field where the cows were kept. Well, one of the old girls kicked the bucket. When I found her, she was still about lukewarm. No idea what killed her, she just laid down with the rest of the herd and died right there; no struggle, nothing. Guess we all need to go like that...

Anyway, to make a long story even longer, I came back to next day to find about 20 buzzards doing what they do best. Since they had already added insult to injury (and they cant get past the hide to really to a good job of getting it cleaned up), I thought I would run an experiment with my bow and get some preseason practice in. Got 2219's, pine shafts, and cedar. I had one bh, a Rocky Mtn Razor. I shot it and, well, it was ok. Good penetration until it hit the spine. It lodge in and died right there.

This is where it gets interesting. The rest of my arrows had field points. The cow was already starting to swell (the legs had attained lift-off). It needed a hole started to get the gas out and the birds/coyotes in, so I shot it. The arrow hit solid and bounced straight back at me. Now I was using a Howatt Hunter with 60# pull. Aluminums, wood, they all came back. Approx 60 attempts, not one single entry.

This is really not scientific, and I did not have a Magnus, etc. to test the cut on impact heads. I did, however, come to the conclusion that if anyone goes to Africa to hunt those cape buffalo, you need a lot of bow and a damned serious head. BTW, the four blade broadhead I used only went in 1/2". That is where it will stay too; it flew terrible, and the cow can have it as far as I am concerned.

So, there you have it. Maybe someone can use this information. At least now we all know that you cannot kill a dead cow with field points.

You got to be careful with your shooting distance from the cow due to the bounce backs. No kidding, the average return length from the cow was 3 feet. I did have one bounce up INTO a bush about 5 ft from the carcass. I had to sit and look at that a moment...

BTW, if anyone tries this, remember you can push a buzzard too far. When they start landing next to you while you are shooting, it is time to leave them to their meal and find a stump.
Thanks for sharing that experience.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,324
Messages
1,572,916
Members
169,642
Latest member
CharmainKi
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top