Never Ever Forget!

Not watching any of it, every year for 20 years they do the same thing. We sit around and watch them read the names, ring the bells etc.
While its important to remember what happened as it had a huge impact on all of our lives, and perhaps as a teachable moment for those too young to remember or have any context as to what it means, OK fine.
But what else does it really serve? Go ahead and trash me like BSO did to Bonk, but I feel much the same about it.
Just spending all day on TV watching it over and over is too much. I remember it like yesterday, and I dont feel the need to feel that all over again. It was awful, hope it never happens again
May I ask do you remember those who died in WW1 and WW2? I do and I thank them for giving the ultimate sacrifice. If they didnt fight I wouldn't have the freedoms I have today and I have a feeling the map of America may look a little different too.

We remember such things to ensure it doesn't happen again. We remember to highlight how cruel humanity can be to each other and in doing so it stays raw in peoples heads as a reminder.
Sorry if I come across like a prick but I have lost pals in the fight and lost myself for a time and I wont have the memories of those who fell belittled.

@BSO Dave, Well said. This is extremely personal for me, as I know it is for you.

@Bonk, Maybe this thread can serve as an educational moment for you. In addition to the 2,977 lives lost on September 11, 2011, including 343 of my brother firefighters, it's also imperative that we remember and honor the sacrifices of the 7,052 US service members (not including the 13 lost in Kabul) along with the 14,874 allied troops that have died in the last 20 years in this global war on terror. The loss and sacrifice generated from the events of 9/11 has continued for the last 20 years, it has affected the entire world, and is far from over.

Life does go on, but it must go on while honoring the loss and sacrifice of those who died that day and in the 20 years since.. The threat from the evil that launched these attacks is alive, well, and now more emboldened than ever. Those who fail to learn form history are doomed to repeat it. That is why we we must never forget!

Are you serious? Maybe you should say that to the faces of the widows and children who stood on that podium today reading the names of their deceased loved ones..

A few more photos honoring the memory of the brave 343!

View attachment 423846

View attachment 423847

View attachment 423848

View attachment 423850

View attachment 423852

View attachment 423853
Oh please. We have been doing this every year for 20 years. Its not that we dont remember, I sure do, I was 48 years old when this shit happened. As I said, hopefully never again. Have you forgotten? Need a reminder to feel bad all day about it? Not me.
But what is supposed to be the net result of all of this hand wringing?
Tomorrow most will go back to whatever they were doing and forget all about till next year. I got better things to do with my time than spend all day being miserable. If that turns your crank, have at it.

I'll stay out of this - like some others here, it is very personal. I simply pray that many in the West, for a very long time to come, will not to forget or just move on. I'll simply note, that May 31st / June 1st also has always been a pretty solemn day in my family and among my profession.

May I ask do you remember those who died in WW1 and WW2? I do and I thank them for giving the ultimate sacrifice. If they didnt fight I wouldn't have the freedoms I have today and I have a feeling the map of America may look a little different too.

We remember such things to ensure it doesn't happen again. We remember to highlight how cruel humanity can be to each other and in doing so it stays raw in peoples heads as a reminder.
Sorry if I come across like a prick but I have lost pals in the fight and lost myself for a time and I wont have the memories of those who fell belittled
Of course. Did someone say that you cant do whatever you want to to remember those you lost? I didnt. Did anyone say you shouldnt remember or anything? Not me.
You guys take everything TOO seriously. What does it change? NOTHING!
We got attacked on 9-11. It was awful. It was 20 years ago and our govt hasnt learned a damn thing and its making it very likely it will happen again, probably sooner than later.
Then we can commiserate every 20 years for another event.
What will wringing your hands all day or being miserable all day watching the endless vids and hearing the calls and watching the people jump off buildings do for you, besides make you mad and miserable and flame out on others who dont want to do that. Its BS.
Want to be miserable all day, go for it. I will watch movies.

I'll stay out of this - like some others here, it is very personal. I simply pray that many in the West, for a very long time to come, will not to forget or just move on. I'll simply note, that May 31st also has always been a pretty solemn day in my family and among my profession.
Nobody that was over 10 years old that day will forget, not me or anyone else.

Of course. Did someone say that you cant do whatever you want to to remember those you lost? I didnt. Did anyone say you shouldnt remember or anything? Not me.
We got attacked on 9-11. It was awful. It was 20 years ago and our govt hasnt learned a damn thing and its making it very likely it will happen again, probably sooner than later.
What will wringing your hands all day or being miserable all day watching the endless vids and hearing the calls and watching the people jump off buildings do for you, besides make you mad and miserable and flame out on others who dont want to do that. Its BS.
Then please do so and quit cluttering up this forum.

To quite a few of us 9-11 represented both a terrible day, but also the start of an era which involved us in a series of events and losses that are very real today, and will be the rest of our lives. Simply moving on and forgetting those losses is not something I wish to do. I was at the Pentagon, but saw no combat after 9-11. Regrettably though, I lost too many protégés and spent far too many hours at memorial services or in wards of Walter Reed visiting broken young people over that first subsequent decade. Others here, younger than most of us actually fought that fight at the point of the spear. Yet others lost fathers, brothers, and friends in the attack. Reminding our self-indulgent population of why they were attacked or why all those others made the sacrifices they eventually did is probably worth a day out of the year.

Last edited:
Then please do so and quit cluttering up this forum.
It’s definitely odd that those who profess to be the least interested in a topic are often the ones who feel the greatest need to opine on it.

It’s definitely odd that those who profess to be the least interested in a topic are often the ones who feel the greatest need to opine on it.
And they usually blat the loudest and longest.

A number of years ago I was in Pearl Harbor and visited Hickam Command. The walls of Hickam Command are pockmarked with machine gun strikes that were not repaired after the Japanese attack on Pearl. When questioned, the base commander commented that they had been left as a reminder and a charge to future servicemen/women, to ensure that it never happens again. I think there is a lot of wisdom in his words. Let’s honor those who have sacrificed and thank and support those who stand ready to do so again.

I think as Americans and for those in other countries too, we commemorate these tragic, nation changing events so as NOT TO FORGET, so history won't repeat itself. Unfortunately, it usually does anyway. We have very short memories, especially in our "cancel culture" it's "all about me" younger generation. We FORGOT about WW1 and almost lost WW2 without a few lucky strategic breaks. The entire free world almost lost out to tyranny! In the US, we commemorate the Pearl Harbor attack, D Day, VE and VJ days and yes 9/11. I'm sure the UK commemorates the Battle of Britain, the Blitzkrieg, the Dunkirk evacuation and others when the wolf was at their door. I don't look at commemoratives like these as some type of "celebration". They're REMINDERS of events in history which changed our worlds forever and hopefully we'll learn from them and do everything in our power so they won't happen again. Unfortunately, we do forget and history tends to repeat itself.

Certainly far more tangible for some of us than for others. Thank you for remembering this day and the uncountable lives it changed forever. Families like mine will not forget and we share our love and support to those who also “feel” this day in our hearts and minds and we also raise our flag with pride!
B72BCEF6-CA15-4F37-A1E2-AFFF53DAEA09.jpeg

This is so eloquently written.. I thank you Sir, with tears in my eyes for my old friends...

No, I will not forget.

Hey guys. I should not have posted what I did, and wasnt purposely trying to offend anyone. I was sort of annoyed at the treatment of another poster who got called out and that led to my posts which obviously pissed some of you off, that was not my intention. But I didnt think about the level of personal pain that some have, unfeeling ignorance on my part.
No one here will ever forget that day and we all have our reasons. I have no personal stake, didnt lose any family or friends in that attack or anytime after so I dont have the same frame of reference some of you do.
So I apologize to anyone offended by my remarks.

Well thats what this is an act of remembrance. People in India don't do any remembrance for WW1 or WW2 yet Indians lost far too many soldiers in the great wars. It has almost been lost to history. I was at work yesterday and had the same conversation with almost all my clients about this day 20 years ago and how bad it was.

None of them nor I seemed miserable. Just do what you want but don't forget those who have given everything and those that will have to do it again when all this crap kicks off once more

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wildkatr

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross