Need Help Identifying this 404 Jeffery

Traveler1

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI & NRA Life Member, DSC, HSC, DU and the Outer Circle
Hunted
Ethopia, CAR, Congo, SWA, RSA, Tanzania, Zimbabwe and Zambia; Europe, S. Pacific, N&S America
I need help Identifying this 404 Jeffery in the picture. I want to get a 404 Jeffery myself, not a new pristine one, but a workhorse one like in the picture.

The picture was my first Chobe Bushbuck summer 1984 with Paul Huggins. I just turned 12 on this hunt and wanted to shoot Paul's 404. So of course he let me. He hunted with Paul in 84-85 and 86 in and around Matasi. He ph'd with Piers Taylor at Trophy Hunters Africa. The bushbuck was shot about an hours drive from the Gwaai Pub. The Pub was our resting place for several days. The had the best Kapenta and biltong.

Thanks in Advance.

Chobe Bushbuk 1984(1).jpg

I assume you are referring to the Gwaai Pub & Hotel and not the Half Way Hotel at the Gwaai. If so the Gwaai is just a fond memory.

I hope you find your .404 it is one of my favorite DG cartridges. Finding a good original Jefferies will be tough. There is nothing special about the average Jefferies other than they work. Here in Zim I had to pay $2,000.00 for mine which had a non original stock. I re stocked mine with a Bell & Carlson stock and love the way it carries and shoots.

I am referring to my Jefferies only as there were many options. Original Mauser action magazine and feeding rails machined for the .404J cartridge. Magazine a tight 3 rd capacity. Express sight I do not remember how many simple ramp front sight.

Between my wife and my self we own 3 other .404j’s 1 pre war Rigby & 2 CZs. I like the original the best, my wife likes her CZ the best.

If you have your heart set on the original I would recommend trying to find one with a four or even five round magazine and be sure the barrel has not been shot out, these rifles were made to be used.
The Gwaai holds many stories, to bad that no one has ever written a book of course many of those stories can only be told at a campfire.
Cheers, Lon

The Gwaai pub and hotel, the one with all the money notes pinned above the pub was a wonderful place. I was based there for some days in the army, very special, smelt of wood smoke.

I assume you are referring to the Gwaai Pub & Hotel and not the Half Way Hotel at the Gwaai. If so the Gwaai is just a fond memory.

I hope you find your .404 it is one of my favorite DG cartridges. Finding a good original Jefferies will be tough. There is nothing special about the average Jefferies other than they work. Here in Zim I had to pay $2,000.00 for mine which had a non original stock. I re stocked mine with a Bell & Carlson stock and love the way it carries and shoots.
Gwaai Pub and Hotel! Every time we went back to Zim he had to stay there for a couple days or so. My father sent the owners, (cannot access their name in brain right now) post cards from county we visited for years after our visit. I assume it closed years ago during the raiding years.

On the same trip when I shot the bushbuck, my father shot a 13.6 croc not far from the pub. When we brought it back to skin it at the pub, the word had spread and the local witch doctor showed up. All hell broke loss, he was claiming it was maneater and need certain organs from it to ward off evil spirits. Paul basically told him to piss off. We did end up opening the stomach and the only thing out of place it was a tin can. No human body parts. This settle down the 30 or locals down but the WD was still wanting the organs.

As for the 404 I am not particularly looking one made by Jeffery's. (might should change the title here) I has hoping that with the above picture someone might be able to tell me the manufacturer of the one I am holding. Could be a Jeffery for all I know. I mainly want one for sentimental reasons, as Paul taught me a lot through the years and would live to find a similar one.

I should probably clarify(The title of the Post) that I need help figuring out the manufacture of the 404 j I am holding. It might be Jeffery for all I know. I was to young at the time to appropriate a good rifle. If it was a pistol that would be a different story. I figured some of you rifle Einsteins could look the bolt, trigger guard, stock, recoil pad and floor plate. And rip off badge, rank and serial number without taking a breath. This what I am hoping!

Once I know this, I can get sleep again by stop trolling every gun website to the wee hours and have my weekends back. Now that's hunting season I need my weekends back.

Thanks again. Kelley

Do you have any other photos that would show the action better?

The Gwaai pub and hotel, the one with all the money notes pinned above the pub was a wonderful place. I was based there for some days in the army, very special, smelt of wood smoke.
Kevin, in a previous thread you suggested/complained that some hunter or PH should always put into writing to document places or events. If someone had in the case of the Gwaai Pub and hotel, the original poster may would have a trail to start his hunt for information. Your description of the Pub with all of the money stabled to the ceiling reminds me of an Irish Steakhouse where I lived in Pensacola for nine years did the same. No relation to hunting nor Africa though.

Do you have any other photos that would show the action better?
No that I can locate. I tried to locate the other one I have of it when I was at parents in Texas last month. When I go down next month, I plan digging around for it.

Looking closely at the photo, I can clearly see that the magazine floor plate release catch is located OUTSIDE the trigger bow. As opposed to INSIDE, like most sporting Mausers. This effectively rules out the English and German rifle brands, such as W.J. Jeffery or Cogswell & Harrison or Mauser Oberndorf.

So, short of it being a custom piece built on either a BRNO ZKK602 action or a pre ‘64 Winchester Model 70 action … I’d say we’re looking at a pre ’62 F.N Mauser in .404 Jeffery.

Like this one, which belongs to another member of these forums.
CFD25D26-A865-4BA5-8FF5-7099A214172C.jpeg

Given the time period (1984) and the fact that this photo was taken in Zimbabwe, I’d also say that a custom piece built on a BRNO ZKK602 action is incredibly likely. Back in the 1970s and 1980s, custom rifles built on BRNO ZKK602 actions were almost universally popular amongst African white hunters. This is because the Czech Republic was one of the very few countries who didn’t place any sanctions against Zimbabwe back in those days.

Even today, BRNO ZKK602 actions are highly prized in Africa for building dangerous game rifles.

Last edited:
Due to the hollow bolt handle I would guess a 602

Looking closely at the photo, I can clearly see that the magazine floor plate release catch is located OUTSIDE the trigger bow. As opposed to INSIDE, like most sporting Mausers. This effectively rules out the English and German rifle brands, such as W.J. Jeffery or Cogswell & Harrison or Mauser Oberndorf.

So, short of it being a custom piece built on either a BRNO ZKK602 action or a pre ‘64 Winchester Model 70 action … I’d say we’re looking at a pre ’62 F.N Mauser in .404 Jeffery.

Given the time period (1984) and the fact that this photo was taken in Zimbabwe, I’d also say that a custom piece built on a BRNO ZKK602 action is incredibly likely. Back in the 1970s and 1980s, custom rifles built on BRNO ZKK602 actions were almost universally popular amongst African white hunters. This is because the Czech Republic was one of the very few countries who didn’t place any sanctions against Zimbabwe back in those days.

Even today, BRNO ZKK602 actions are highly prized in Africa for building dangerous game rifles.
Thank Thank.... I can sleep now. I really appreciate the reply and knowledge. Now I just need to look for a workhorse BRNO ZKK602. That in itself will will take some trolling, but atleast I have a narrow field now. Thanks Again. Kelley

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EllieBoatm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross