Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
B&C, DSC
Hunted
US, Mexico, S Africa, Namibia
Really enjoyed your report Bivy. Congrats on a great hunt, great trip, and here's to your continued happiness with your fiancee! Thanks for the fantastic pics. Ain't Namibia a great place?

Scott Slough

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, Pineywoods SCI, NAHC, TTH
Hunted
USA, South Africa (Eastern Cape)
Again, great report! I liked the addition of the self-drive to the end. My daughter and I did a self-drive from Port Elizabeth to Cape Town last year and I never got around to posting that! You have inspired me to get that done!

Sika98k

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Europe
Member of
Wild Deer Association of Ireland
Hunted
Kenya,Namibia, Croatia, Morocco Ireland,Scotland,Denmark, Romania, Sweden,Norway,Latvia,Germany,Hungary,
What can I add to your report that hasn't already been said ? Great report,tremendous detail and outstanding photography. well done,sounds like a great self drive trip. What was your total mileage covered if you have any idea?

baas303

AH senior member
Reaction score
Thank you for your report and photos. I really enjoyed it. Well done on your outstanding trophies.

Keep well

Dries

gillettehunter

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Australia/NZ
Hunted
Namibia, Kyrgyzstan(2) South Africa(4) New Zealand Zambia(2)
Well done sir. Looks like a great safari. Very nice Hartebeast. Some excellent pics. Nice to see so many good ones. May have to do a self drive next time..... Bruce

browning68

Reaction score
Member of
sci, nra
Amazing adventure. The wife and I are trying to plan something very similar and this really pumped us up about the whole experience. Thank you for taking the time to post.

enysse

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
Thanks for the hunt report and pictures. Good Luck on the nursing degree, I assure you it will be worth the effort.

Bivy

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, DSC, WSF, Pope and Young, Boone and Crockett, Full Curl Society, RMEF
Hunted
U.S.A. (Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, Wyoming, Montana, Alaska); Namibia, RSA, Mozambique
Good News! My goods are ready to come to the States!

I had the majority of hides tanned by Trophaendienste in Windhoek.

Turnaround time was approximately 6.5 months and the invoice included:
2-Oryx fullskins
1-Springbok fullskin
1-Kudu backskin
1-Red Hartebeest backskin
1-Mountain Zebra felted rug

Total (tanning, packing, etc, etc.) = $1142.00 USD

What remained was held by Uhlenhorst until the remainder was ready to ship. This included:
1-Kudu cape and skull/horns
1-Red Hartebeest cape and skull/horns
2- Oryx skulls/horns
2- Springbok skulls/horns
1- Warthog skull/tusks

Total (dipping/ skull cleaning) = $0 USD Additional (They include this service in their package price)

Today I received the invoice from Namibia Safari Services for shipment to Seattle.

1 Box / 48.0kg effective weight / 50.5 kg chargeable weight/ 112x51x53cm

Documents, insurance, and air freight Windhoek-> Seattle = $891.00

I have requested a quote of Windhoek-> Chicago as I intend to have Dennis mount the kudu and hartebeest. Via my correspondence with Dennis he has been prompt to reply and most gracious to gather my finished goods from the tannery and ship those to me in Montana so that I can open my presents early rather than waiting for the shoulder mounts to be completed.

I will update in the next couple days with the freight quote to Chicago.

G Skinner

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Namibia
I must be honest I did not read threw the report ....pictures are worth 1000 words ....wish I was there ! Congrats .
Glen

buck wild

Silver supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI Brush Country Chapter
Hunted
Kalahari; Limpopo; Mexico; Texas
Bivy- you have a LARGE set I must admit. Quite an adventure and serious hard work on your end at I assume I relatively young age. Bigger stones than I had at that age !!!
Glad I found yor thread as I was in Africa when the intial posting came out.

Bobpuckett

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
NAHC Life Member, NRA Life Member,SCI, Buckmasters
Hunted
USA(from Coast to Coast and Alaska), Germany, South Africa, Canada
Congrats! for a couple of rookies you guys did it right. Awesome report and beautiful pictures. Thanks for Sharing

Rob404

Bronze supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, Member Minnesota Horse and Hunt,,Caribou Hunt Club
Hunted
Illinois,Wisconsin,Michigan Limpopo Province South Africa
Thanks for the hunt and excursion report, Namibia is my next destination

Lrntolive

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
RMEF, SCI, NRA, WCF&W
Great report! This is just making me antsy for my Namibia trip.

Bivy

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, DSC, WSF, Pope and Young, Boone and Crockett, Full Curl Society, RMEF
Hunted
U.S.A. (Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, Wyoming, Montana, Alaska); Namibia, RSA, Mozambique
UPDATE: My crate has landed in the U.S.

It arrived ~10 days ago and import was handled by the Chicago office of Coppersmith with Mike Lewis being the representative.

Total cost billed from Coppersmith = $788.67

This breaks down to $544.67 (Import/Clearing Charges) and $244.00 (Shipping to tannery C.O. Artistry of Wildlife)

I found this to be reasonable; particularly after hearing some of the exorbitant rates charged recently for customs clearing. Additionally, Mike was great to work with and was quick to respond to questions and concerns from an 'import rookie.'

The crate cleared US Customs in 2-3 days, was shipped Wednesday from Chicago, and arrived Friday at Dennis' tannery of choice.

Dennis has been great to deal with. I'm extremely impressed that someone so absorbed by the art of taxidermy is so prompt at answering my emails.

My finished skins and skulls could be heading to Montana as early as late this week, and Dennis will retain the kudu (wall pedestal) and hartebeest (shoulder mount). Can't wait to see the finished product.

SIDE NOTE: I'm going back...

Slightly sooner than anticipated, but I purchased an auction hunt offered by Cabassa Safaris at the local SCI banquet. I will be returning as a 'Safari Sophomore' and bringing a buddy on his first African experience sometime during May 2017. This hunt will take place in the Free State of South Africa and be conducted on the Sandveld Nature Reserve. We will bird hunt for a few days followed by 5-6 days chasing plainsgame. I am especially looking forward to hunting one of the massive eland bulls the reserve is known for.

I have been in communication with Hardus multiple times over the years, and as a result I lack the apprehension I would in purchasing an auction hunt with an unknown company. I look forward to visiting the continent again and reporting back with photos and a detailed hunt report about a new part of the world and a new company.

-DTM

Lrntolive

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
RMEF, SCI, NRA, WCF&W
UPDATE: My crate has landed in the U.S.

It arrived ~10 days ago and import was handled by the Chicago office of Coppersmith with Mike Lewis being the representative.

Total cost billed from Coppersmith = $788.67

This breaks down to $544.67 (Import/Clearing Charges) and $244.00 (Shipping to tannery C.O. Artistry of Wildlife)

I found this to be reasonable; particularly after hearing some of the exorbitant rates charged recently for customs clearing. Additionally, Mike was great to work with and was quick to respond to questions and concerns from an 'import rookie.'

The crate cleared US Customs in 2-3 days, was shipped Wednesday from Chicago, and arrived Friday at Dennis' tannery of choice.

Dennis has been great to deal with. I'm extremely impressed that someone so absorbed by the art of taxidermy is so prompt at answering my emails.

My finished skins and skulls could be heading to Montana as early as late this week, and Dennis will retain the kudu (wall pedestal) and hartebeest (shoulder mount). Can't wait to see the finished product.

SIDE NOTE: I'm going back...

Slightly sooner than anticipated, but I purchased an auction hunt offered by Cabassa Safaris at the local SCI banquet. I will be returning as a 'Safari Sophomore' and bringing a buddy on his first African experience sometime during May 2017. This hunt will take place in the Free State of South Africa and be conducted on the Sandveld Nature Reserve. We will bird hunt for a few days followed by 5-6 days chasing plainsgame. I am especially looking forward to hunting one of the massive eland bulls the reserve is known for.

I have been in communication with Hardus multiple times over the years, and as a result I lack the apprehension I would in purchasing an auction hunt with an unknown company. I look forward to visiting the continent again and reporting back with photos and a detailed hunt report about a new part of the world and a new company.

-DTM
Sounds like you got a heck of a deal on the shipping and customs. I got a quote for five shoulder mounts from namibia to Denver, and the shipping and import fees came to around $3000. My taxidermy fees will be close to this, also.

johnnyblues

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Hunted
USA, ALASKA Canada, New Zealand, Mexico Africa.
That is a good rate I payed substantially higher.

dory

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
New Zealand . Namibia .
Me to .
My taxidermy and freight to NZ is over $12000 so far .
Haven't even thought about custom charges here yet .
The old saying the hunt is the cheap part is starting to sound true .
Aaah , its only money .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsabelleAm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Tokoloshe Safaris wrote on Milan's profile.
I do not know where this video was posted, but I would very much like to see it.
Al Burke wrote on Milan's profile.
Hello Milan, I just watched your video on disassembling/reassembling the CZ 550. I have spent days looking for something like this. I now have no reservations taking apart my rifle. I like to do this with all my guns so I understand them "inside and out". Thank you very much for the information. It is greatly appreciated.
Al
Fred Gunner wrote on Viral_SIGness's profile.
60 375 Ruger Brass
$75+$8.30 Priority Mail Shipping
Postal Money Order Or Certified Tellers Check.

for final confirmation
Fred Gunner wrote on Viral_SIGness's profile.
60 375 Ruger Brass
$75+$8.30 Priority Mail Shipping
Postal Money Order Or Certified Tellers Check.

for final confirmation
raamw wrote on krish's profile.
send me your email.