NAMIBIA: My Namibia Hunt 2017

Well eland down and at the skinning shed and we still have some time to go back to the blind to bow hunt. With in about 30 minutes we have pigs coming to drink. A nice boar comes in and I get ready to take the shot only to be to far back and hit the top of the window when I let the arrow go sending it in to the trees. Lets just say those pigs went a running at that point. We had a laugh and waited some more and had action all day long. About an hour later the same boar came back only to spook off but this time he stopped at 20 yds and I got a shot off hitting him and 100yds later he was down and my second hog was in the salt.

P6270211.JPG
P6270215.JPG
P6270217.JPG
P6270221.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Up next was the last few days we had to go after a mountain zebra. We went to the khomas mountain area to search them out. We make the 2 hour drive from the eland area the next morning to start the next part of the hunt. As we drive in we see more oryx , kudu and baboons. We started that afternoon not seeing much to start with but at about 230 we spot some baboons going to water. So I get out of the truck and knowing it would be a fast shot rest on the truck hood and wait. I am set and just waiting for them to clear the bush when I feel a pain in my foot realize Pieter had backed up and was running over my foot. I was trying to get the words out when he said shot now or they will be gone as he was watching them run off. When he looked over to me he could see something was not right and I got the words out. I saw in his face the oh shit what did I do look when he moved the truck and I got ready again. The last male was 250 yds away and moving fast when I squeezed the shot off. He was hit hard and went 5 yds total. I got you can shot after all as hitting a running baboon at 250yd running made him forget about the springbuck day. We laughed at him running over my foot and all was ok with no harm done at all.

P6280222.JPG
P6280225.JPG

Nice pig! Your racking up in Namibia!

I am set and just waiting for them to clear the bush when I feel a pain in my foot realize Pieter had backed up and was running over my foot. I was trying to get the words out when he said shot now or they will be gone as he was watching them run off. When he looked over to me he could see something was not right and I got the words out. I saw in his face the oh shit what did I do look when he moved the truck and I got ready again

Damn! There for a moment reading this I thought you were going to say you shot the baboon with your foot under the tire!!!

Off we go after looking for a nice mtn. zebra stallion. We spot some way off but to far for a stalk with the time left that day. So we drive along when we spot some on a ridge working the way we are going. We get off the truck walk to a nice spot and I get set up resting the gun on some big rocks. Once again the grass was tall and hard to see them. They watched looking for the big male to cross a spot for me to shot. Then he steps out and I take the shot and he is off like a rocket. I felt good and the hit sounded good to. We get in the truck head up to the spot as it was 250 yd up hill shot to look for blood. We find blood but not a lot so off we go following the sign. About 150 yds in we still have no zebra and I was getting worried if my shot was to high. Pieter sits down and tells me if we did not find him by now he got away and my shot was bad. I start looking up the hillside ready to start shooting if he comes out. Then I see the guys start laughing as they see me looking up the hill. I was like what the hell this is not funny when I look down not 5 yds in front of me was my zebra. We all laughed some more then start getting ready to cut a path to get the truck in to get the zebra out. He was a big male stallion that is going to make a great ped mount. He is a great dewlap also which the mtn zebra get.

P6280231.JPG
P6280234.JPG
P6280228.JPG
P6290241.JPG
P6290242.JPG
P6290243.JPG

I just showed Kathy all your animals Bill.

She just kept saying "wow"!

How will you ever top this?

I just showed Kathy all your animals Bill.

She just kept saying "wow"!

How will you ever top this?

LOL tell her by going back for a longer hunt. :) I think maybe you two should join me next trip.

LOL tell her by going back for a longer hunt. :) I think maybe you two should join me next trip.

I would love to do Namibia with you. All we need to do is breathe life into these bankrupt oil companies!

Sending a $30k check tomorrow to get us closer to paying off the mortgage. Then we need to rebuild the retirement fund...then Africa. If I live long enough!!

I do hope to make it back, but I think it will take a while. First things first.

Until then, I live vicariously through my friends here! It sure is fun getting to share in the safaris through the trip reports.

Tim

So dream zebra in the salt and Pieter ask if I want another one as he has a leopard hunter coming in and needs bait. It will just be a hunt for one with no skin even but who am I to say no If I can be a help. LOL So next morning we head out looking for a zebra and maybe even a kudu on my last day.

We head out and not 30 minutes later we are on some zebra. I wait for Pieter to tell me which one he wants me to take. He looks them over picks one out and I take the shot. The front leg goes up and off she runs but we knew it would not be far. She fall with in 20 yds of the road for easy loading this time. I which I could of had the rug from her but they like the skin on for bait to help it last longer but the hunt was fun none the least.

P6290246.JPG
P6290250.JPG

That skin is amazingly cool!

Yes, really cool pattern on the Zebra!

Sad to say the gun was on it was all me after we checked it at the range. Was just one of those days.

As you know I have been there and done that where springbuck are concerned. At least you got one!

Very nice eland and zebra bill. Congrats

Great Eland. Thanks for detailing your ups and downs. Sometimes it is just a confidence thing.

Super eland and great gemsbok. Congratulations on all your animals. Thanks for sharing the report and photos.

zebra baits going up

P6290253.JPG
P6290255.JPG
P6290257.JPG

P6290270.JPG
P6290273.JPG
So I have one last afternoon and we decide lets go look for a kudu. We have been seeing a few and know some good one are around. We head out see some kilspringers and oryx along the way. Then we spot some kudu cows with a young bull. We look around then sot another bull that just may do. We start the stalk after getting the wind in our favor and make it to about 500 yds and the cow get nervous. When we stop we find another bull but just can nit get a good look at him. We look back judge the second bull and guess him at 53" plus so it is game on now. The cows go back to feeding and we make the move to close the distance. We get to 275 and I get on a nice tree branch instead of the sticks.

They start to feed are way but the bull only gives me a head on shot and is still 250 yds away so no go. He keeps coming and turns broadside at 225 giving me a chance for a shot. I get steady and squeeze the trigger and we hear the sold hit. He gets that drunk walk look and falls over dead with in 10 yds of the shot.

We get over to him and I am very happy and what a way to finish my first but not my last Namibia trip. He is a old mature bull around 53 to 54" with a giant thick neck. The one younger bull will be mid 50's in a year or two and will also make a great kudu one day.

P6290265.JPG
P6290269.JPG
P6290273.JPG
P6290262.JPG

the inside color of a kudu ear.

Last edited by a moderator:
What a finish!

I'm bringing Kathy to DSC this year and your job is to talk her into Namibia one day. :)

Nice kudu! You had a great hunt in Namibia with some great trophies, congrats!

What a finish!

I'm bringing Kathy to DSC this year and your job is to talk her into Namibia one day. :)

I will do my best to help tim you know that. It was one amazing hunt is all I can say.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leonslab

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.