Namibia Leopard Hunt

I enjoyed hunting with Johann Veldsman. His outfit is called Shona Safaris. Check out my report from 2019. He is passionate and knowledgeable about hunting leopard.
He has a couple of nice toms hitting baits right now...check out his facebook posts.

Please contact Jacques Spamer of @JKO HUNTING SAFARIS. This is my Tom from October 2020 in Namibia.
IMG_4912.JPG

If you have further questions you can PM and I’ll be happy to answer any you may have.

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally think Nick Nolte is the best leopard man in Africa. His success rate is around 90%. Shot opportunities are north of that. His concessions are in the ranch country of central Namibia near Omaruru. I have hunted with him on two occasions (including a leopard) and he and his lovely bride run one of the most comfortable camps in Namibia.

I personally think Nick Nolte is the best leopard man in Africa. His success rate is around 90%. Shot opportunities are north of that. His concessions are in the ranch country of central Namibia near Omaruru. I have hunted with him on two occasions (including a leopard) and he and his lovely bride run one of the most comfortable camps in Namibia.

Are his Leopard Hunts near their concessions?

rdachille, you have been given three excellent references for a leopard hunt. Just a suggestion...but what worked for me was to make up a list of questions and then make arrangements to interview via WhatsApp, so that you can talk to each one personally. Your question to Regleg is a good one. You can spend a lot of time in vehicles traveling to check baits. Having baits close to camp is a bonus. Ultimately you want a successful hunt but also an enjoyable time. Spending too much time traveling in the bakkie is not enjoyable for me.
Good luck in your search! BTW welcome to Africa Hunting Forums.

Jan du Plessis of Sebra Hunting Safaris www.sebrahunt.com has a great area on his home ranch & the ranches all around him, including his Fathers, lots of Leopards & has a special right now, also great for other plains game with some Monster Gemsbok !

I have hunted with him, took a Leopard & other game including a 40in+ Gembok Bull !

I helped out on Leopards at West Nic in Zimbabwe & have had a lot to do with Leopards since in SA .

Karl Stumpfe with @ndumo HUNTING SAFARIS. He hunts the Caprivi in Bwabwata National Park. Many nice leopard there. He and the other PH, Divan, spared no effort or expense on baits to get our leopards. We had activity on 7 of the 10 baits during our hunt.

256B8A98-94F7-4E48-8036-1F6C86FDD999.jpeg
936589B1-F79B-4A3B-9266-BA4AB7DAC97B.jpeg

To clarify my comment above about the baits, we did not have to pay extra to shoot animals off quota to use for bait. The baits were included in the hunt. Whether or not you have to pay extra for the baits is a question that should be asked of any safari company you choose. Paying trophy and quota fees for bait animals in some of these areas can add up quickly.

Also in hot weather baits spoil quickly. Time your hunt to avoid fawn birthings. Too much to eat to want baits. Someone was unsuccessful a couple of years in Namibia because of that.....
Bruce

Another suggestion.......time your hunt to coincide to the new moon. Leopards are nocturnal but even they can't see when it is pitch black, new moon means they are more likely to hunt during daylight hours.

To clarify my comment above about the baits, we did not have to pay extra to shoot animals off quota to use for bait. The baits were included in the hunt. Whether or not you have to pay extra for the baits is a question that should be asked of any safari company you choose. Paying trophy and quota fees for bait animals in some of these areas can add up quickly.
That should be true of nearly all operators who specialize in leopards. Though it is also quite common for the other trophy species you may be after on the leopard hunt to be part of the bait string as well. Indeed, I think zebra is the very best thing you can hang for leopard. But most reputable outfits are not going to charge you for the non-trophy warthog and impala that are hung for bait.

Are his Leopard Hunts near their concessions?
His leopard hunts take place on his concessions.

A final comment. There are no "deals" when it comes to leopards. I have a dear friend who has failed on four successive safaris to get a his cat. That is around sixty days in a blind. He has always fallen prey to the cheaper hunt rather than use one of the few real experts. He hasn't saved much money.

His leopard hunts take place on his concessions.

A final comment. There are no "deals" when it comes to leopards. I have a dear friend who has failed on four successive safaris to get a his cat. That is around sixty days in a blind. He has always fallen prey to the cheaper hunt rather than use one of the few real experts. He hasn't saved much money.

I couldn’t agree more with your statement. It is imperative that the prospective client heeds this advice or else multiple attempts will be made at the ever-elusive leopard (and as you mention- overall much more costly in the long run).

Seeking advice on a Leopard Hunt in Namibia?
Outfitter recommendation?
@rdachille
I hunted with Osombahe Nord safaris run and owned by Harold and Liezel before we left we helped Harald get some bait for his next client as he was hunting leopard.
Harald is an excellent host and PH that has leopard on his OWN property.
I would highly recommend Osambahe Nord safaris.
Bob

Question @rdachille

Why Namibia? Are you opposed to other countries?
@M Whitley
We chose Namibia because of the diversity of game, prices were in Australian dollars and it was cheaper than other countries to hunt. Would go back there in a heartbeat.
Bob

Namibia is the "cheapest" country for leopards and they have a lot of them.
However, it should not be forgotten that in the traditional farm area, since the beginning of the colonial period, it has been persecuted like nowhere else: trap, poison, gin trap and the bullet on anyone who showed up, and who is honest, often still today.
This pressure makes the cats extremely shy and cautious.
In many safari concessions it is easier to get because the leopard life is more relaxed.
I would also include this thought in the price calculation.
Before I sit on several safaris for weeks the nights on plastic chairs in the blind, I prefer to give me the bullet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois