NAMIBIA: First-Timer! - KHOMAS HIGHLAND HUNTING SAFARIS

First I wanted to thank everyone one on this site for all the help. I have learned more than I ever imagined from yalls experience.

I graduated college this past Friday and will be going to Namibia with my father, brother in law, and my old pledge brother to celebrate. I am lucky to have a family that supports my dream of always wanting to hunt Africa.

Philips operation at @KHOMAS HIGHLAND HUNTING SAFARIS seemed to be just what I was looking for - As hunting big low fence cattle ranches in South/West Texas is what I do.

We will be flying to Dallas from San Antonio and then jumping on a long Qatar flight to Doha tomorrow at 11:50pm or so. Thanks to Jennifer @TRAVEL EXPRESS for all the help.

Kudu and mountain zebra are all I can think about. I am brining my Ruger #1 in 30-06 and I am confident with this rifle. CDS dial is true and might be helpful up in the Namib Highlands.

Not sure if I will wait to get back and then post more, but I may just have to share some pictures while I’m in Namib! Stay tuned!

View attachment 534110View attachment 534112
See you soon friend! Excited to make some memories!

Congrats on your graduation, and good luck with your hunt. BTW, that is one sexy No.1. I am a big fan of them. Shoot straight! (y)

Congratulation on your graduation! Enjoy your safari, looking forward to your hunt report.

I am back in the U.S and had an Amazing Trip.

Philip is a wonderful host who goes out of his way and runs around all day to make things happen. I used to question why people would go back to the same place when Africa is so big. I think I kind of get it now though. When you find a place that feels like home its easy to want to go back. The people at Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris are now friends. All we did was laugh and maybe try to hunt some...

I prefer pictures than words, lol.

First full hunting day I took an old solo Gemsbok bull as soon as we got to the mountain range in the cold morning. close to 6000ft+ elevation. Poor shot too low led to long tracking (flinch?). But we never gave up and the bull offered a large blood trail the whole way.
IMG_0645 Medium.jpeg

IMG_0654 Large.jpeg

After lunch we rest and have the usual coffee and cake before heading out around 4:15 for me most days
IMG_1189.jpeg

Santos, our driver this day said he will drive fast so we can reach the mountains quickly with enough sun to look for "grey ghost" as he would always whisper. But before we could even reach the mountains we bump a cow kudu. As the rut is starting we see a younger bull with her. Then a massive bodied one horn bull pokes out. We all freak out, "thats your bull, thats your bull" either Shorty or PH hendrick exclaim.

See not 30 mins before heading out I had mentioned to my PH Hendrick that a one horn doesn't bother me if his shape and tips are beautiful to my eye.

The group of cows, young bull, and the grand daddy one horn bull all run down the valley. We exit the Toyota and me Hendrick and shorty all creep after them. bump them once more and the Old bull had to stop and look at who was making his cow run off this time. 240 yards quartered away. I make up for my crappy shooting this AM and he is down within sight.
IMG_0748.jpeg

Massive swollen body on this Rutting Namib Bull
IMG_0761 Large.jpeg

He had very deep curls for the area. His one horn measured 55". The only Measurement I know of any of our trophies. Only because PH juan came up and told me at the Bar lol.
IMG_0780 Large.jpeg

His broken horn had been so for many years it seems. had rubbed and polished a massive ivory tip on his "Nub". None of the PH's had seen this unique bull. I was beyond excited.

More to come! this was just the first full Day!

Before I continue with the Hunting.

I just wanted to say it was a pleasure sharing camp with @Mekaniks and his wife and their wonderful friend.

Id say Alaskans and South Texans have similar outlooks on life.
Dinner, many drinks, and laughs with them made this trip memorable.

Heres is Chuck and I at the end of a long dinner lol.
Philip made a trip for more red wine after our two groups...

Me and chuck both noted that without AH... the both of us wouldn’t have been hunting here together.

IMG_1267 Large.jpeg

Last edited:
Before I continue with the Hunting.

I just wanted to say it was a pleasure sharing camp with @Mekaniks and his wife and their wonderful friend.

Id say Alaskans and South Texans have similar outlooks on life.
Dinner, many drinks, and laughs with them made this trip memorable.

Heres is Chuck and I at the end of a long dinner lol.
Philip made a trip for more red wine after our two groups...

Me and chuck both noted that without AH... the both of us wouldn’t have been hunting here together.

View attachment 537130
Thank You David @dchum it was definitely a pleasure sharing a camp with you all. You guys were were great and took some fantastic trophies.. congratulations! I hope we can do it again someday

Glad you had a great adventure. I’m looking forward to hearing about the rest!

Congratulations on your successful first safari, it sounds like you had an absolute blast! I enjoyed and appreciated the great write up and pictures. I think it was really cool to share camp with fellow AH brothers! I see you chose the DFW to Doha vs HOU to Doha, good choice & I would’ve done the same …777-300ER vs A350-1000, Bigger planes are usually more comfortable than not. Getting there is half the fun, right? Also, congrats on your graduation. I’d be interested on what you decided to do with your trophies?

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

The first morning after my brother in law arrived we go out looking for Oryx and Zebra.
We bust a lone Oryx and all shout out "bull! ,bull!" Sticks are up we and wait... oryx walks out and my brother in law drops it. Turns out it was a beautiful old cow with nice secondary growth. She had no teeth and was all alone in the mountains. No one had any complaints.
IMG_0902.jpeg
-Beautiful views in the Khomas Highlands -Smooth Ridges on this old cow
IMG_0907.jpeg

While Hendrick was driving the little green Toyota around the other side to come down and fetch the old cow oryx. He spotted a large pod of mountain Zebra over 1000 meters away. We back track and around and park the truck in a low spot. Me, Hendrick, and Dino all set out towards a lone mountain the zebra were just cresting over. We use zebra trails that switchback all the way to the top and crest over. We peak and see zebra less than 80 meters. We can hear them snort and neigh quite loudly. It was very unique and made me even more excited then I was. We peak again and set the quad sticks up quickly. The zebra bust down the valley kicking rocks loudly and all don’t want to stop. I start feeling bummed after such a great stalk. Thankfully the Stallion, who is always in the back of the Pod stops pushing his females, turned and looked quartered to Hendrick and I. "220 meters" Hendrick says...one single shot and the stallion fell over.

IMG_0936.jpeg

-Ruger #1 22in 30-06 180gr Interlock. -Hartmann's mountain zebra

IMG_0925.jpeg

We loaded both these beautiful animals into the little mean green machine. The truck felt heavy rolling home but we made it to lunch. Cold Beer and fresh cooked zebra sausage was perfect

Screen Shot 2023-06-12 at 6.53.09 PM.png

70653301944__A9740352-A34C-4FED-9D3C-27E477C8EC61 Large.jpeg

Thought I would try and keep going, finally got some time on my hands

Half way through the trip me and my buddy Jackson went out on a sunset cruise. We had the big glass jug filled with cold beer. Wrapped in a few lined jackets we. could keep the beer "cowboy cool" as we ride through the mountain. We sat in the back of the 70 series cruiser and Santos and PH Affex rode below. We were all just chatting having a relaxed cruise as we had all shot good trophies already so we were just out hunting. I spot a big loan pig... Santos cleverly keeps driving 100 meters or so. Then PH Affex and my friend Jackson creep back to where the pig waslast spotted. Sticks went up, Jackson wastes no time letting Philips Sauer 300 win bark….Pig drops
IMG_1076 2 Medium.jpeg

I think the day after Jackson pig, I shot a female warthog. Hendrick and Dino both said they were excited to eat a nice young pig.

Screen Shot 2023-08-28 at 7.16.24 PM.png

Dino really enjoyed using my Replaceable blade Knife.
IMG_8658.jpeg

seen is Me trying to stop the Bavarian hound from eating the young warthogs gut pile, As PH Hendrick and tracker Dino were saving much of the pile for the pot/dinner
IMG_8651.jpeg

Dino reluctantly handing me back my blade. I saw the look in his eyes so quickly gifted the Knife with a fresh pack of blades to him. He would use it much much more im sure of it...

Last edited:
IMG_1158.jpeg

Dino also loved my #1. The crew had not seen a rifle like it. Sadly I couldn't leave this one behind for him like the pocket knife haha.

My father had him self a great hunt as well. Him and I hunted the first few days just us two, and he got the best Oryx bull of any of our team. We stalked in on a massive herd and he put a good shot. Quartered away angle led to a long tracking job but one last shot. I was impressed with my old man. He hiked and hiked for this Bull. He said he was hunting close to the truck after this one... haha
IMG_0833 Medium.jpeg

Red Heartbeats Bull wasn't on the menu... But I really wanted someone to take one as they are so unique. Hendrick and my father spotted a nice ram with his cows. Rather than hike for this one, my father let the 300 win mag do the walking. His longest shot ever. Some 360 yards off the sticks... Quad shooting sticks are in a league of their own. My father has never shot passed 250 yards on any rest and let alone on a game animal in Africa.
IMG_4559.JPEG

Congratulations on your successful first safari, it sounds like you had an absolute blast! I enjoyed and appreciated the great write up and pictures. I think it was really cool to share camp with fellow AH brothers! I see you chose the DFW to Doha vs HOU to Doha, good choice & I would’ve done the same …777-300ER vs A350-1000, Bigger planes are usually more comfortable than not. Getting there is half the fun, right? Also, congrats on your graduation. I’d be interested on what you decided to do with your trophies?
Thanks!
Euro mounts for all the antelopes. pig Tusk were cleaned and vacuum sealed so we we “snuck” them back on the way home.
Zebras will be tanned and lined with felt as flat rugs. All done in Namibia

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg