AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI
Hunted
South Africa, Mozambique, Zambia, Tanzania, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Canada, Kyrgyzstan
I just got back from a 16 day elephant / buffalo hunt in the Caprivi Strip with Classic Safaris. It was a tuff hunt as it seems the resident game populations were disturbed because of unusualy high flooding this year. At the out set I told Vaughn I would like to try for a above average elephant. We had several oportunities and were in a large heard at one point but passed on several good bulls looking for something better. I eventualy took a bull on day 15. Probably not the best bull I had seen but at that point I was happy to take him. We moved over to Kasika the next day and shot a very nice buffalo. The food was above average. I could go into more detail but suffice it to say it was a good hunt with a good PH. I try and keep in reasonable shape for a guy that is 55 years old and I didnt have any problems. I have hunted africa 8 times now in places like Mozambique, Tanzania, Zambia, etc. I would hunt with Vaughan Fulton again in a heart beat. I read the post about the bad hunt with classic safaris. I cant say the hunter was wrong but I can say from my experience hunting with Vaughan that he himself is a good hunter and I believe him to be a honest man.

p9294324-jpg.1039

Attachments

• P9294324.jpg
    P9294324.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 2,560
  • P9304359.jpg
    P9304359.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 539
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Dick, good to see your report. Fred and I had lunch with you and Vaughan the day you left. We were also successful and I am just getting ready to post my report. The staff pulled your ivory before I left and it looks great. Regards, Jim

Thanks for the hunt report! That is a beautiful cape buffalo!!! Congradulations!

Congratulations! Tuff hunts are the ones we remember and you have yourself a pair of great trophies.

I have known Vaughan for several years, have hunted with him and will again. He WILL treat you right.

What guns/loads did you use?

Congratulations! Tuff hunts are the ones we remember and you have yourself a pair of great trophies.

I have known Vaughan for several years, have hunted with him and will again. He WILL treat you right.

What guns/loads did you use?

I Used my old Searcy .500 x 3 1/4" on the elephant. It is one of the old ones Butch (the one that lots of guys on these forums say is no good) first built as I understand. It still shoots great after over 350 rounds I have fired threw it, I bought it used so who can say. But its still tight . It has become my favourite rifle just because it shoots so darn well. I took the buff with a model 70 in .375. The .500 was rite there beside me but the shot was a little longer than I was comfortable with for the .500. I found Vaughan to be a strait up guy. Like you I woud hunt with him again, after 16 days of hard hunting you get to know a PH prity well, I would have to now call him a friend.

The best gun is the...gun that you shoot the best and has the power to take the animal down quick and fast with the least amount of suffering. Love to hear about the Caprivi!

Double D, Good to read your hunt report in the Caprivi. After hunting Africa 8 times, was this your first Elephant hunt? What is the measurement and weight on the tusks?

It was my first bull elephant hunt. Actually I hunted in Zimbabwe last year on tuskless / buffalo hunt on a two on one. The other hunter was a young friend on his first hunt. He got his Buffalo on day 8 and a Kudu on day 9 so there wasnt much opportunity to look for a tuskless. I learned something from that hunt. I don't think I would do a 2 on 1 again. Don't get me wrong I had a good time and I really enjoyed watching him collect his first buffalo but in reality it was not very productive based on money spent. This year I shot the elephant on day 15 of a 16 day hunt so the ivory had not rotted out before I left yet but I understand it should go in the mid 40's. I had chances to take bigger animals earlier but passed. That's hunting. I shot a really nice 44' buff in the Masailand a few years ago on the second day. It was great, but I had gone there to hunt buffalo and some how I felt like I had cheated myself by shooting so soon even though it was a vary good trophy. I enjoy the time actually spent hunting as much as finally collecting the trophy.

Double D, I think that you made two great points here.

... I learned something from that hunt. I don't think I would do a 2 on 1 again. Don't get me wrong I had a good time and I really enjoyed watching him collect his first buffalo but in reality it was not very productive based on money spent...

Certain kind of hunts and/or species are better done 1x1. A 2x1 scenario can be a very enjoyable experience especially if there is no sense of competition involved and priorities are worked out between the hunters.

... I shot a really nice 44' buff in the Masailand a few years ago on the second day. It was great, but I had gone there to hunt buffalo and some how I felt like I had cheated myself by shooting so soon even though it was a vary good trophy. I enjoy the time actually spent hunting as much as finally collecting the trophy.

Another great point here, passing on or taking a key animal early into the hunt can be a difficult decision because as you said the time actually spent hunting can be as rewarding as collecting the trophy.

Congratulations Dick! Tracy and I were glad to hear you got your elephant and buffalo and we enjoyed the time we spent with you and Vaughan in camp during our travels through the Caprivi and beyond.

George

I've hunted with Classic Safaris twice, and they will always be at the top of my preferred outiftters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg