NAMIBIA: Buffalo Hunt In The Caprivi

Fatback

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
I just got back from hunting buffalo in the Caprivi in Namibia. I have hunted Namibia 3 previous times with Hannes du Plessis with Bergzicht Game Lodge outside of Windhoek. I asked Hannes to help me out together a buffalo hunt and he worked it out with Omujeve Safaris and Corne Kruger. We hunted out of Corne’s Ivory Camp. We saw lots of game up there including elephants, hippos, crocs, lechwe, waterbuck, impala, zebra, giraffe, kudu, roan, sable, wildebeest, etc…. I was there for buffalo and I took this bull on the second morning after about a 4 hour stalk. Got as close as 25 yards in the thick stuff but didn’t have a shot so we repositioned and when they moved out into a little open area I shot him at 40 yards. This was the realization of a life long dream for me. I am already planning to go back and do it again in a couple of years. It was one of my most exciting hunts ever. I was also able to kill a real nice bushbuck and lechwe.

42FB7FA6-7726-4404-9590-186158E22BE3.jpeg
23444875-5F59-4A4D-84BD-E3F4D3C13947.jpeg
E26A0B94-0FF1-4D0F-AAC9-07110003AFA6.jpeg
A0AD1B5A-28F7-4B3C-9803-A15CFD5741A0.jpeg
25ED3CB4-9EF0-442D-A701-5D99A9D3C406.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got back from hunting buffalo in the Caprivi in Namibia. I have hunted Namibia 3 previous times with Hannes du Plessis with Bergzicht Game Lodge outside of Windhoek. I asked Hannes to help me out together a buffalo hunt and he worked it out with Omujeve Safaris and Corne Kruger. We hunted out of Corne’s Ivory Camp. We saw lots of game up there including elephants, hippos, crocs, lechwe, waterbuck, impala, zebra, giraffe, kudu, roan, sable, wildebeest, etc…. I was there for buffalo and I took this bull on the second morning after about a 4 hour stalk. Got as close as 25 yards in the thick stuff but didn’t have a shot so we repositioned and when they moved out into a little open area I shot him at 40 yards. This was the realization of a life long dream for me. I am already planning to go back and do it again in a couple of years. It was one of my most exciting hunts ever. I was also able to kill a real nice bushbuck and lechwe.
Nice old bushbuck, congratulations on your buffalo!

Congratulations on the buffalo, but the bushbuck is really a great trophy. Glad to see an area in Caprivi has them on quota.
Thanks. He was very old. Almost no teeth left and had about half the hair around the base of his horns and and along his nose rubbed off.

I can not say enough good things about both camps. Ivory Camp is amazing, right on the river. We heard lions at night, had a hippo come into call at night. It was wild. Camp staff were top notch, the food was excellent. Just an overall great experience. Bergzicht lived up to and surpassed the already high expectations I had since I had hunted there 3 other times, with the last hunt being in 2013. Hannes has made a lot of improvements to his lodge and property and he really knows how to run a top notch safari camp. Steph Jobert was my PH for all of my hunts on this trip. He PHs for a Hannes full time and I found him to be very easy to hunt with. Just the right mixture of drive and getting after it and he also knows the importance of the hunter not only getting a shot at the animals he is after but the importance of truly having an enjoyable experience. I hope to be back in 2025 to try to get another buffalo.

Great animals! Congratulations!!!

Congratulations on a successful hunt.

Outstanding animals, really like the look of your bushbuck. Congratulations!

Great stuff! Congratulations!!

Congratulations on a great hunt.
What are the details on rifles and loads?

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

That bushbuck :love::love:

Great bushbuck. Fine lechwe and buffalo. Congrats.
Bruce

Congratulations on a wonderful hunt and nice buffalo. Beautiful Red Lechwe. But that bushbuck! Fantastic old ram.

@Fatback , am totally impressed with your trophies. Also nice to hear that the operator and PH were first rate. Buffalo is the last thing on my bucket list. Love to see more pics of the camp on the river..........congrats.................FWB

Congratulations @Fatback ! A great buffalo, but that bushbuck is something else, wow!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg