My new Von Gruff

Err, Ahh, Mmm, how do I reply to that? If I knew you better I might call you a Prick , I won’t be able to visit my kids or meet you anytime soon with Bloody border closures extended.
If we do get to meet over I need SA I might have my knife by then. SA is South Australia for those with South Africa on the brain.

well it happened today.
2 young billy goats copped a headshot each from the 280 and became meat.
the von gruff hunter/skinner was used exclusively - a new experience for me, as i have always found it quicker to use a number of knives rather than sharpen during the job.
first impression is that it is a big knife and a little knife, doing the jobs of both.
it is surprisingly versatile and nimble, in part due to the blade shape, and in part the handle.
to the blade first.
it runs the cuts down the legs and up the belly/chest very well, holding the cut but not digging in.
the blade is long enough to shove down the hole in the pelvis to clear the lower stomach tube, bladder, etc., ready to remove the guts.
this blade can be used in a number of ways due to the design flexibility.
as to the edge, it started in a condition that would "pop hair" when it shaved your arm.
gutting, beheading, and removing lower legs had it in a condition where it would just shave hair, but ypu could feel it pulling hair.
removing lower legs included cutting hair, as i just cut inward on the joint, snap the joint manually, and then separate it with the knife.
a few light uses of the little steel were included in the process.
the blade is easy to use on the point, back from the point, and back near the hilt when required.
i then brought the bodies home with the skin on to keep then cleaner in the back of the ute.
the cuts were made, then the knife used to start the skin which was then mostly punched off.
the bodies were then boned out with the same knife, and all the meat cut into cubes.
at the end of all this and using the steel, the blade would still shave hair but also still pulled a bit.
5 strops per side had it shaving cleanly again without pulling hair.
which raises the point that it did lose some sharpness, but could be kept at a good useable sharpness.
i could have started another goat willingly without doing anything to it.
i sometimes wonder how hard warm meat is on blades.
i had hit bone a number of times with the edge.
now to the handle.
i have never used a handle like this one.
i discovered a myriad of ways to hold it for different tasks, and every way it just plain worked well.
it can be used 3 fingered, 3 1/2 fingered, and 4 fingered.
it can be pushed and pulled equally well.
it is equally comfortable right way up, upside down, and sideways.
it can be used edge up or down with the blade coming out of the back of your hand.
and all of this with comfort and control.
i have never had a knife handle so user friendly.
and the rough micarta scales do as garry said - grip your hand. they are not slippery when wet either.
it is part of the key to the knifes nimbleness.
all in all it is easily the best knife i have ever owned for the work i do.
i can now sell all my pumas happily
bruce.

A very thorough testing Bruce and the report is appreciated. I love to hear of my knives doing the job they were designed for and customers discovering the wider range of uses then many initially think they can do.

Last edited:
thanks guys.
i forgot to add how well the sheath works.
if the knife is pushed fully home, the knife is held tight.
if you just drop it in lightly, it is easy to get out.
while working you just drop it in lightly, say when punching skin, and easily grab it.
it is where you are and not on the ground around the other side.
this is particularly handy when you are holding the carcass in a position and do not want to recreate that.
and of course the steel is right there too..
bruce.

well it happened today.
2 young billy goats copped a headshot each from the 280 and became meat.
the von gruff hunter/skinner was used exclusively - a new experience for me, as i have always found it quicker to use a number of knives rather than sharpen during the job.
first impression is that it is a big knife and a little knife, doing the jobs of both.
it is surprisingly versatile and nimble, in part due to the blade shape, and in part the handle.
to the blade first.
it runs the cuts down the legs and up the belly/chest very well, holding the cut but not digging in.
the blade is long enough to shove down the hole in the pelvis to clear the lower stomach tube, bladder, etc., ready to remove the guts.
this blade can be used in a number of ways due to the design flexibility.
as to the edge, it started in a condition that would "pop hair" when it shaved your arm.
gutting, beheading, and removing lower legs had it in a condition where it would just shave hair, but ypu could feel it pulling hair.
removing lower legs included cutting hair, as i just cut inward on the joint, snap the joint manually, and then separate it with the knife.
a few light uses of the little steel were included in the process.
the blade is easy to use on the point, back from the point, and back near the hilt when required.
i then brought the bodies home with the skin on to keep then cleaner in the back of the ute.
the cuts were made, then the knife used to start the skin which was then mostly punched off.
the bodies were then boned out with the same knife, and all the meat cut into cubes.
at the end of all this and using the steel, the blade would still shave hair but also still pulled a bit.
5 strops per side had it shaving cleanly again without pulling hair.
which raises the point that it did lose some sharpness, but could be kept at a good useable sharpness.
i could have started another goat willingly without doing anything to it.
i sometimes wonder how hard warm meat is on blades.
i had hit bone a number of times with the edge.
now to the handle.
i have never used a handle like this one.
i discovered a myriad of ways to hold it for different tasks, and every way it just plain worked well.
it can be used 3 fingered, 3 1/2 fingered, and 4 fingered.
it can be pushed and pulled equally well.
it is equally comfortable right way up, upside down, and sideways.
it can be used edge up or down with the blade coming out of the back of your hand.
and all of this with comfort and control.
i have never had a knife handle so user friendly.
and the rough micarta scales do as garry said - grip your hand. they are not slippery when wet either.
it is part of the key to the knifes nimbleness.
all in all it is easily the best knife i have ever owned for the work i do.
i can now sell all my pumas happily
bruce.
@bruce moulds
Years ago a mate had a puma white hunter. It was that hard it took forever to sharpen. Even with the Ken Onion knife sharpener my mate Alfs white hunter is a bitch to sharpen. Nice but over rated.
The knife Gary did for you sounds like baby bears porridge JUST RIGHT. I've pmd Gary about a knife I recently got as I didn't know about the steel used.
Mate the amount of knowledge needed and the work he puts into them represents value for money considering what you get.
The knife I got was given me by Ted Mitchell and I look forward to using it. Knowing Ted it will be fine but may be a bit less than what Gary does but then again Gary has been doing it longer.
Bob
20200720_112338.jpg

My Ted Mitchell made knife with antler from a deer he shot

bob, i think you nailed it with the "baby bears porridge just right" description.
using the knife demonstrates garry's experience with both using and making.
i am sure he has made a number of them he was just not happy with and kept doing them again and again until they worked properly.
in this day such experience is limited.
for what the customer gets, i don't think garry gets a hell of a lot per hour.
i have a white hunter, and do not find it hard. - quite the opposite.
pumas can be a bit of a bitch to get sharp, but i think it is something about the steel more than the hardness.
a weakness in the product as far as i am concerned.
i will say in my defence that the knife was given to me as a gift and i did not buy it.
no puma i have ever had has seemed to hold an edge.
they do look like they are meant for a job, but it is cosmetic rather than practical.
they actually look good though.
bruce.

Bob has a few unique quotes.

Bruce, Bruce, it’s almost done. But now he is busy with something, I know mine will be ready pretty soon! And it’s half Aussie with Redgum handles.

Bruce, Bruce, it’s almost done. But now he is busy with something, I know mine will be ready pretty soon! And it’s half Aussie with Redgum handles.
Sheath done, handles epoxied and pinned on so just the shaping and the hot waxing of the leather to go but I have to go up country for a couple of days to delvier a few knives so next week is show day. This red gum will be a stunner (in the subdued aussie way of course) ;);)

Sheath done, handles epoxied and pinned on so just the shaping and the hot waxing of the leather to go but I have to go up country for a couple of days to delvier a few knives so next week is show day. This red gum will be a stunner (in the subdued aussie way of course) ;);)
Stunner, Garry my knife will be a stunner, no doubt mate, she will be a Ripper.

Stunner, Mmm, makes me think Leggy Blonde with natural looks, not like I ever got to date one but there are some things we admire, like Redgum timber.

My Mrs hates Blondes but I always thought they stand out in the crowd, am I missing something?

Anyway , my knife is happening but our resident knife maker is in high demand, so much for retirement, so long as he enjoys his trade.

Stunner, Garry my knife will be a stunner, no doubt mate, she will be a Ripper.

Stunner, Mmm, makes me think Leggy Blonde with natural looks, not like I ever got to date one but there are some things we admire, like Redgum timber.

My Mrs hates Blondes but I always thought they stand out in the crowd, am I missing something?

Anyway , my knife is happening but our resident knife maker is in high demand, so much for retirement, so long as he enjoys his trade.
@CBH
Chris blondes can be fun. Once dated one but the problem was she had a mirror image identical twins sister. The only way to tell them apart was one was left handed the other right handed. Boy did they have fun shit stirring. I leave it to your imagination as to what happened when they both dressed the same. Sleeping arrangement was definitely different.
I leave it at that.
Bob.
That was pretty wife days.

CBH Australia, I'm betting that the beauty of your new Von Gruff knife is more than skin deep. How they look is one thing, how they "cut" is something else!!
@Shootist43
As we say in Australia mate beauty is skin deep but ugly goes all the way to the bone.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jemsbond

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.