My new Rand's hat is on the way...

I regret that there is no Rand store here. Along with Enid that will get added as a destination when I come over for the DSC or SCI show next year.

I'm assuming that the Enid stop involves a visit to Champlin's. If so, he and JJ Perodeaux will probably have a table at the DSC show, exhibiting some of their wares. That said, a visit to his Vault Room is certainly worthwhile. You may wish to coordinate the visit with them while you are at DSC.

Boots can have a similar effect.
Now you’re just stirring the pot! My wife also asks why I need 15 pairs of boots :rolleyes: I dutifully explain to her that you can’t wear fishing boots while hunting (apologies to the duck and goose hunters) or uninsulated Turkey hunting boots in winter. Nor can you wear hiking boots for mountain game hunting, why it simply isn’t done!!!

When do you wear the bunny ears? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Pwabably when he's hunting wabbits........

Wabbits.png

I think I may get a real kicking on this thread if I ever admitted to wearing Westley Richards shirts and jackets and Purdey leather coat, writing with a Holland and Holland pen and wearing a Rolex. Why do I do it you might ask? Because I appreciate quality, and it brings me far more pleasure than the money does. Visit to Rand's next!! With a chin strap to keep it on in my Land Rover...
Sounds like when I showed up to salmon camp with a new pair of Orvis wading shoes. All my Friends were busting my b*lls for the whole week we were there. My only solace was that at the end of the week I was the only one who had not slipped and took a dunking. I give all the credit to the Orvis shoes as there was quite a bit of imbibing on all of our parts.

I regret to say he looks better in his. :cry:

In fairness, he is Robert Redford, and you ain't. :D

Redford's hat in the movie shows much use and -- although I doubt he's ever actually hunted on safari -- has the "been there, done that" look to it. In the photo, yours looks to be fresh out of the store, with a flat brim that would be the envy of any park ranger, state trooper, or rap "artist." Yours likely shows more character now, but in the photo that you posted, it does not. Also, the wider hatband compliments the style of Redford's hat more so than (what appears to be) the narrower band of your hat. But to each, his own. Do what works for you.

Or you could go a completely different route. Maybe get a wide zebra hatband and go for the Buck McNeely look. (Might have to go unshaven for a few days and add 50 lbs. to your belly, but is that such a great price to pay?) :D

Incidentally, that is an exceptional eland in the other photo. May I inquire as to where it was taken?

In fairness, he is Robert Redford, and you ain't. :D

Redford's hat in the movie shows much use and -- although I doubt he's ever actually hunted on safari -- has the "been there, done that" look to it. In the photo, yours looks to be fresh out of the store, with a flat brim that would be the envy of any park ranger, state trooper, or rap "artist." Yours likely shows more character now, but in the photo that you posted, it does not. Also, the wider hatband compliments the style of Redford's hat more so than (what appears to be) the narrower band of your hat. But to each, his own. Do what works for you.

Or you could go a completely different route. Maybe get a wide zebra hatband and go for the Buck McNeely look. (Might have to go unshaven for a few days and add 50 lbs. to your belly, but is that such a great price to pay?) :D

Incidentally, that is an exceptional eland in the other photo. May I inquire as to where it was taken?
Must be a burden to have such a nuanced appreciation of hats and style. Of course, Redford was performing for an audience. I was simply focused on maximizing protection from Mozambique’s sun.

The eland is a SCI gold Livingstone from the Zambezi Delta.

Last edited:
I dig costume parties. Our last one
IMG_3284.jpg

IMG_3285.jpeg
And you get to wear different hats

I'm assuming that the Enid stop involves a visit to Champlin's. If so, he and JJ Perodeaux will probably have a table at the DSC show, exhibiting some of their wares. That said, a visit to his Vault Room is certainly worthwhile. You may wish to coordinate the visit with them while you are at DSC.
Yes it was Champlin's, but if I can see some of their treasures at the show that is good too.

Yes it was Champlin's, but if I can see some of their treasures at the show that is good too.
You will see a quite a few of their treasures there. Last time they had well used but totally honest Birmingham .375 rimmed from between the wars. I was sorely tempted.

Damn if I can’t kill a thread. Sorry fellas. :(

I done a bad, bad thing.

Well, I think I've seen and read it all. From quality hats to someone in a pith helmet being arrested in his kitchen. Oh, almost forgot a fella dressed as Tiger off of Winne the Pooh knocked out on the kitchen floor.
I can now say I've witnessed the most bizarre thread derailment in history.
Life is good this evening...

Well, I think I've seen and read it all. From quality hats to someone in a pith helmet being arrested in his kitchen. Oh, almost forgot a fella dressed as Tiger off of Winne the Pooh knocked out on the kitchen floor.
I can now say I've witnessed the most bizarre thread derailment in history.
Life is good this evening...
"Someone in a pith helmet wearing swim goggles arrested in his kitchen." There I fixed it for you. ;)

The theme stayed pretty constant - hats. It's a very important topic to some of us golden agers whose hair tends to migrate from our heads to places less desirable: eyebrows, ear canals, nostrils, and ... shudder ... end of nose.

Nice looking hat Tanks. As I think you know, I have been wearing Rands for over twenty years now. Once you are measured, and had one made, it is nice to know every other one after that will be a perfect fit.

Like most people who own and wear a quality hat, I have no use for wool felt. It is a lousy material, compared to fur (and especially beaver) at repelling water. And like all wool when wet, they tend to stink. They are also very unforgiving in the heat compared to a properly fitted beaver felt hat.

That said, the experts on the appearance of "real hats" and the people who wear them should look around a Texas sale or diner. When working, virtually everyone down this way wears straw - whether working horseback or on equipment. A beaver hat tends to be for business or perhaps funerals or just because.

I virtually always hunt Africa, or the American west with a brimmed hat. I have a close and enduring relationship with my dermatologist, and that is a mutual agreement. In really hot weather, I often use a cotton crushable, particularly if it is a difficult travel destination. Though, I have used both in the Zambezi Delta of Mozambique. I have never found a brim a problem stalking game.

Blaser S2 Double Rifle

Eland Hunt In Mozambique
As for “real hats” and straw versus beaver, straw is worn in the colder mountain and northern Great Plains country in spring and summer. I wear my Stetson straw hat during those seasons and it’s much more comfortable in warmer weather.
photo may 08, 4 52 59 pm.jpeg

I wear my Resistol 20X beaver black hat in fall and winter and for more formal occasions. This might be a bit different than in Texas where it’s not so cold on average.

IMG_1634.jpeg

I’m not into custom hats because I wear them out too quickly. If y’all want to look at another custom maker, take a look at Greeley Hatworks. They’re in Colorado and you’ll also find them at the NFR (National Finals Rodeo) in Las Vegas every December.

Speaking of cowboys, I was ridin’ and shootin’ pretty early in life but not too proud of the red hat! Lol. First horse I rode was a big pony cross named “Dynamite.”
IMG_0521.jpeg

As for “real hats” and straw versus beaver, straw is worn in the colder mountain and northern Great Plains country in spring and summer. I wear my Stetson straw hat during those seasons and it’s much more comfortable in warmer weather.
View attachment 534910

I wear my Resistol 20X beaver black hat in fall and winter and for more formal occasions. This might be a bit different than in Texas where it’s not so cold on average.

View attachment 534911

I’m not into custom hats because I wear them out too quickly. If y’all want to look at another custom maker, take a look at Greeley Hatworks. They’re in Colorado and you’ll also find them at the NFR (National Finals Rodeo) in Las Vegas every December.

Speaking of cowboys, I was ridin’ and shootin’ pretty early in life but not too proud of the red hat! Lol. First horse I rode was a big pony cross named “Dynamite.”
View attachment 534912
I agree with you. It seems about 50 percent of the guys up in the high country seem to swap over to straw or palm leaf come spring and summer. I tried a palm leaf one summer, but I couldn’t ever warm up to it, and the crown cracked out of it after a couple of months. I have thought about replacing it, but I’ve never got around to it.

It’s funny you mention Greeley hat works.
3665CC8F-92AF-4944-9989-229E77409643.jpeg
The kid in the black hat had it built by Greeley Hat Works. They are just as good a custom maker as any. My silver belly there was made by Weather Hat Company out of Belle Fourche, SD. It’s been a pretty good lid.

View attachment 534910

View attachment 534911

View attachment 534912
That's one if the best kid photos ever! I see your sense of style developed really early :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg