My new K95 is finally here!

I was actually battling between 30R Blaser and 7x65R, in the end I settled on 30R because I load for 308 already and so I can limit my stock of projectiles. At the moment it’s 224, 30, 8mm 9.3mm, 9.5mm (375), 416, and 470 and that’s just rifles. Really don’t need any more but time will tell what happens. Many rifles ago I bought an R8 and honestly thought that was gonna be my last rifle, yeah right.
Bought "my last rifle" several times an still happy doing so..... :cool:

Btw..... great rifle and great choice of calibers!!!!

Waidmans Heil

HWL

I still think a 6.5x57R with light 120gr bullets is all that is needed for longer shots on small to medium game.
Its not far off the .270 and everyone knows thats an ideal mountain rifle caliber.

And the 8x57 is fantastic, but you have other rifles to do that role, this is a wonderful light hiking rifle,

This was my dream duo for a Mauser 66 in my European days, but I could never afford it...

30 years later, I love the .257 Wby and .300 Wby duo in my R8 :)
@One Day...
A fast 25 is a great caliber Bute very much underrated. The 257 bee and the 25-06 are wonderful game cartridges.
Bob

@Opposite Pole
@K95 Ken has a beautiful K95 with several barrels and absolutely loves it. They are a beautiful rifle and extremely accurate to go with it.
Bob
Hello there
I’ve had mine for close on 30 years. During which time I have collected 6 barrels. I had a 5.5x50 mag but here in Australia cases are only available from RWS. They cost or they did around $5 each if you can get them. Didn’t see the point with putting up with this so I had it re-chambered for a 220 Wilson arrow. I now have the 220 , 257 Wea, 270 Wea, 28 Nosler, 300 Wea and for the bigger stuff a 338 Rem ultra mag. They are a lovely rifle and very accurate. Didn’t see the point in rimmed cases and have never in all the time I’ve had it experienced any extraction problems. Do your self a favor and buy a 257 Weatherby barrel, it’s a amazing caliber and mine will shoot 12 mm at 200 yds.

I keep thinking about the K95 but haven't gotten one yet! I love that Kipplauf style.

I just got a 257 Wby barrel for my R8. Very interested to see how it does. With a good mono bullet like an X, they seem to do very well up to larger plains game, elk and moose if needed. I normally would use a larger caliber on that but it's nice to know it can be stretched.

Hello there
I’ve had mine for close on 30 years. During which time I have collected 6 barrels. I had a 5.5x50 mag but here in Australia cases are only available from RWS. They cost or they did around $5 each if you can get them. Didn’t see the point with putting up with this so I had it re-chambered for a 220 Wilson arrow. I now have the 220 , 257 Wea, 270 Wea, 28 Nosler, 300 Wea and for the bigger stuff a 338 Rem ultra mag. They are a lovely rifle and very accurate. Didn’t see the point in rimmed cases and have never in all the time I’ve had it experienced any extraction problems. Do your self a favor and buy a 257 Weatherby barrel, it’s a amazing caliber and mine will shoot 12 mm at 200 yds.

I see this old thread got some new life :)

I really do want a 257 Weatherby barrel. But... I think I have enough guns to hunt the world now so I've decided the first time I'm in a hunting situation where a good, handloaded round from 30R Blaser does not shoot flat enough I will get the Weatherby.

I agree totally that the rimmed case is not necessary in a modern break action single shot and offers very limited advantage. But then again why not. After using the rifle for two years I'm very happy with the chamberings. One issue was the reloading dies. They were expensive and had to be special ordered (they are top-notch Forster and Triebel dies though). In Europe brass is available and while not the cheapest not quite the rip off it is in oz. $5 is more than I paid for RWS factory rounds in 5.5x50R. Shot in one rifle and handled with common sense I get 10 loads out of a case. For me, in a hunting rifle, the cost of brass is more than acceptable. Hell, I shoot two or three dozen animals a month at most so even overpriced factory ammo would be ok. A dedicated range rifle pushing hot loads, or any form of dynamic comp shooting would perhaps be a different story but for hunting it just works.

I really do want a 257 Weatherby barrel. But... I think I have enough guns to hunt the world now so I've decided the first time I'm in a hunting situation where a good, handloaded round from 30R Blaser does not shoot flat enough I will get the Weatherby.

I agree totally that the rimmed case is not necessary in a modern break action single shot and offers very limited advantage. But then again why not. After using the rifle for two years I'm very happy with the chamberings. One issue was the reloading dies. They were expensive and had to be special ordered (they are top-notch Forster and Triebel dies though). In Europe brass is available and while not the cheapest not quite the rip off it is in oz. $5 is more than I paid for RWS factory rounds in 5.5x50R. Shot in one rifle and handled with common sense I get 10 loads out of a case. For me, in a hunting rifle, the cost of brass is more than acceptable. Hell, I shoot two or three dozen animals a month at most so even overpriced factory ammo would be ok. A dedicated range rifle pushing hot loads, or any form of dynamic comp shooting would perhaps be a different story but for hunting it just works.
Regarding riflescopes I use the Z6i 1.7-10 x 42. It’s compact, brilliant optically and all the power I need. I have a Blaser 2.8-20 on my 300 Wea barrel but it is to big for such a dainty rifle.

Regarding riflescopes I use the Z6i 1.7-10 x 42. It’s compact, brilliant optically and all the power I need. I have a Blaser 2.8-20 on my 300 Wea barrel but it is to big for such a dainty rifle.
I've got the Z8i 1.7-13.3x42, 3.5-28x50 as well as Blaser B2 2-12x50. The B2 is a heavy scope but not a bad fit for the 9.3x74R barrel. It's a heavy scope on a lightweight, powerful round barrel. I think the Swaros are the perfect scope for this rifle. So would have been the discontinued Leica Visus series. I'm really curious about the Leupold VX5 and VX6 series scopes. On paper there are some great choices there but in Europe they cost as much as the Swaro Z8 and I'm yet to see one in stock. It's all special order - pay now see some indeterminate time later.

I've got the Z8i 1.7-13.3x42, 3.5-28x50 as well as Blaser B2 2-12x50. The B2 is a heavy scope but not a bad fit for the 9.3x74R barrel. It's a heavy scope on a lightweight, powerful round barrel. I think the Swaros are the perfect scope for this rifle. So would have been the discontinued Leica Visus series. I'm really curious about the Leupold VX5 and VX6 series scopes. On paper there are some great choices there but in Europe they cost as much as the Swaro Z8 and I'm yet to see one in stock. It's all special order - pay now see some indeterminate time later.
Buy the Swarovski, there twice the Leupold

So far the rifle which has been hardest to find reloading components for me was actually for my new (for me) Kipplauf in 5,6x57R an interesting calibre for sure but brass was extremely hard to find. I managed to secure 200 cases in France and hopefully that will be enough. A backup plan might be to rechamber/rebore it to 6,5x57R or 7x65R.

So far the rifle which has been hardest to find reloading components for me was actually for my new (for me) Kipplauf in 5,6x57R an interesting calibre for sure but brass was extremely hard to find. I managed to secure 200 cases in France and hopefully that will be enough. A backup plan might be to rechamber/rebore it to 6,5x57R or 7x65R.
7x65R will sort out everything from impala to eland as long as you do your part. Be a good round for moose as well. Why not buy a new barrel instead of reboring? For a traveling hunter it could be hard to explain a barrel stamped twice (one of them lined out) to a government agent who doesn't know any better.

7x65R will sort out everything from impala to eland as long as you do your part. Be a good round for moose as well. Why not buy a new barrel instead of reboring? For a traveling hunter it could be hard to explain a barrel stamped twice (one of them lined out) to a government agent who doesn't know any better.
I had a 5.6 x 57 in my Mauser 66. It’s a great performer but a tricky one to reload. The necks get very thick and need to be turned and thinned down to avoid high chamber pressures. I know from experience as my rifle blew up and destroyed the rifle . Knowing the problem now I still wouldn’t go there again.

I had a 5.6 x 57 in my Mauser 66. It’s a great performer but a tricky one to reload. The necks get very thick and need to be turned and thinned down to avoid high chamber pressures. I know from experience as my rifle blew up and destroyed the rifle . Knowing the problem now I still wouldn’t go there again.
It's your call, but I'd sell the 5.6 barrel and buy the one chambered in something easier to reload.

Unfortunately it is a artisan made Kipplauf so no possibility to add extra barrels like the K95.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
41On

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.