My Leopard Hunt

eldondo

Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
Just one shooting range..
My Leopard “Hunt”, with Motsomi Safaris (South Africa)

A friend e-mailed me after I got home from another African adventure and wanted to know what happened with my leopard hunt with with Motsomi Safaris in South Africa (www.motsomi.com). The one I was so excited to have gotten a tag to hunt for. As most hunters who have been to Africa know there are more leopards then tags in some areas. And getting a coveted tag is not easy.

This is an off the cuff replay to my friend, along with some pictures. I hope you enjoy this little story.

But if you read all the way to the bottom and see the collage, NOT a bad trip all in all... just no Mr. Spots.

Now you did it Jeff... you brought a sore spot back out in the open. Just kidding, you’re right though, you didn’t see a leopard in the pictures of our recent trip to Africa. If I had gotten one of the three leopards we were hunting I would have taken out a full page add in the Wall Street Journal. I’ve never worked so hard to do nothing in my life. Again, Pieter and Company went all out. They had a female on bait when we arrived. We waited a few days until a male showed up. Then they hurried and built two blinds at right angles to the bait tree, cleared a shooting lane from both, and cleared a walking lane to each as not to make any noise getting into the blinds. Two were made in case of wind change.

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

We let the area calm down and the leopards were working it! Adrenaline time! So we went into the blinds from 8 to 12 hours at a time, depending what day and how long I (and not just me) could sit absolutely still. Not one cough, sneeze or pick your nose was aloud. Not moving was the hard part, along with the temperature chance. Going into the blinds in late afternoon it was 94 deg. on one day and in the evening when they had to pry me out, it was 44 deg. It’s hard dressing for that kind of change.

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

We were very close to making the deal when hyenas and a new animal that I now hate called a Honey Badger came in. Not just one but a pair of them... Leopards are bad asses… but they’re not dumb. They will not fight Honey Badgers for the food. They’ll just leave it to them and find something else to eat.

watermark.php

Even with the time consuming leopard hunt, we (my wife, now called Sheena, and I) had a great time and were able to get some amazing trophies with Pieter, and his other PH, and his little son PC. Just to add to the equation, I had a brace and a cane because I broke my left knee in 14 places and my right wrist in 4 places, 5 and a half weeks out from going...

I can’t explain in words how well they took care of my wife and me.

Move to Leopard hunt #2...
Our leopards, like Elvis, left the building. So Pieter put the word out on the local drums. He received a fast response from a person they know that had a leopard that was killing their game close to their house. They needed our help. WOW !!!! Tarzan to the rescue.

watermark.php

It was like a Chinese fire drill for an hour and a half from the phone call till the cruiser and a trailer was full to the top, and the team (Pieter, Sederick the tracker, my wife, and I) were on the way to places unknown. Now the fun part… no more than a half hour from the base camp Pieter got a call. He stops the caravan and gets out and is talking and waving his hand and pacing back and forth along the side of the road. He gets back into the Cruiser says something to the tracker in mombo jumbo and then tells us “change in plans”. We have a monster male leopard close by that has been killing someone’s prize cattle and has just made a fresh kill. Tally Ho! We arrived at the most beautiful farm/ranch you can imagine. We were greeted by the owner who showed us where we were to stay and where he last saw the dead calf in a tree. In a matter of hours the calf had been removed from the tree (in broad day light) and taken across a dead fall and a stream and into the mountain side. This is where Pieter, and Sederick looked for fresh spoor of this huge male leopard.

watermark.php

When they returned from the cliffs, they had BIG grins. The spoor (tracks) was bigger then any one of them had ever seen. He was a Monster! The next day they baited two places and built blinds while I ate Bonbons. They killed themselves getting everything ready.

watermark.php

watermark.php

We hunted him hard (hard, meaning more long hours, not moving for 10 to 14 hrs a day). Although we never saw him, two highlights confirmed that “he” was there! One night while we were out there the owners thought we had brought high tech electronic equipment calling the leopard. But we hadn't. Mr. Spots was just over the other side of our mountain roaring so loud that he woke them all up. And poor Sederick the tracker was so close to that spot that he jumped into the Cruiser and locked the doors. On another night, Mr. Big was 20 yards from us. Bush Bucks barked, other animals made noises in the total dark that indicated we were there and circling us. Then all went still. Nothing, not a beep from anything, he was that close. We found spoor the next day that he was less then 20 yards from us at one point. This was one of those time people say the only thing you can hear is the pounding of your own heart beat. We knew it and he knew it. He was trying to make up his mind if he wanted us or the bait…

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

Well Mr. Spots got a big break... It hadn’t rained in that part of Africa in 4 months... my luck a 3 day rain storm came in. So we left there and returned to Pieter’s base camp and had more fun hunting.

DID I GET MY LEOPARD? ----- NO. DID WE GO LEOPARD HUNTING? ----- HELL YES!

Don (eldondo) & Ginny
Motsomi Safaris in South Africa - www.motsomi.com

watermark.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the hunt report! The sable, warthogs, red hartebeest, impala, ostrich, and Limpopo bushbuck are very beautiful!

Looks like a great trip even though you didnt see the main quarry. Congradulations !

Don, Thanks for sharing your Leopard hunt with us!

You sure hunted leopard. Thanks for the story.

I have a question. With all the pruning (hunt one) and human scent that must accompany it, how does the leopard not just shy away!

Does the scent dissipate that quickly?

Incredible.

Thanks for sharing this exciting story !

A pity you couldn t see Mr Spots.

Congratulation Don , you bagged great trophies , may be the good luck is in for store for you to take a record class tom next time, all the best...

Monish

Thanks for sharing your experience with us Don. Great write-up... it almost felt like I was there with you hunting that Tom!

Don, outstanding post.

Firstly, you show the uninitiated, such as me, the tremendous amount of work involved with, and the skill and knowledge required to, eventually get that cat in the tree in the first place.

Secondly, the fact that you enjoyed, and took much experience and pleasure from a hunt that did not result in you taking your goal displays to me you are a hunter and sportsman of high integrity.

Congratulations on your successful hunt, may you enjoy many more.

Paul.

You sure hunted leopard. Thanks for the story.

I have a question. With all the pruning (hunt one) and human scent that must accompany it, how does the leopard not just shy away!

Does the scent dissipate that quickly?

Incredible.

You would think so, but as i have seen they do a drag of old guts and it stinks up the aera and that is why they cut 2 lanes. because you do want the wind to you from the bait..when the bait gets old..... you know it.... the cats love it then... i guess it's called tenderizing...

Have a Safe Day. eldondo

Thank you Paul, I told a young man today in a store that once you pull the triger most of the hunt is over... I tolh him it's hunting, not killing. That's why we do it... yes, there are times we all look up and and shake our heads when days go by with nothing.. But I for one have never aske God for an animal. But I have thanked the lord for the clean kill and the harvest.

Eldondo,

Great report and a great attitude on your part. We see too many hunters these days expecting that the money they throw at a hunt is directly proportional to the number and quality of trophies they take.

RSA in my experience offers the most difficult of all leopard hunting. Those cats are very sophisticated and extremely wary. If you get one there it is quite an accomplishment and sometime RSA leopards can be very big. The other extreme is found in places like the Luangwa valley in Zambia where the leopard hunting is daylight only with nearly 100% success. Sitting in the blind a couple hours in the evening and again in the morning is much easier. It is also quite a bit more expensive but you probably will only have to do it once to get your Tom.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KristineGr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg