My first muzzloader

Oldschool280

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Just picked up an mti 97 whitetail hunter (doc white design) stainless with a nice laminated stock for 130 bucks! It had a scope on it , which i gave to my 12 year old son for his pellet gun. I went to the local indoor 100 yard range and set the target at 50yds. First attempt with 90 grains of pyrodex and 250 grain sabots from a company in canada yielded unbelievable ( to me ) accuracy with open sights. It actually bugholed. I then let my son shoot and he also added to the bughole! I cant imagine it took me 42 years to try one of these. I’m hooked. Where could one find the easiest chart regarding energy if i were to know the velocity and bullet weight? I’d like learn more regarding my loads and they're realistic capabilities. Thanx gang

I’ve had a ton of fun muzzleloader hunting! In MN we get an additional season for them.
Do you have a ballistics app? Try Ballistic AE. The only problem is that it can be hard to find the correct BC for the bullets. Randy Wakeman has written a lot on the subject.

Also, if ok for your gun, try blackhorn 209 loose powder. Less cleaning involved.

See ballistics section:
https://www.chuckhawks.com/index2h.muzzleloader.htm

They are fun to shoot and both is it a thrill to bring down an animal with one.

Muzzle loaders are a blast. They bring a lot of meaning to the phrases "aim small, miss small" "one shot one kill"
"you need to make the first one count."

I’ve had a TC renegade flintlock .50 cal since mid 80’s and took quite a few whitetails with a patched roundball. Always good accuracy that exceeded the reasonable range that you could shoot with the rather crude square open sights. Enjoy! 90 grains of AA was the ticket.

My first plains game hunt in Africa was with a muzzleloader, albeit a custom smokeless one. Took one black wildebeest, one gemsbok, two blesbok and two springbok with it. Longest shot was 330 yards. With a BPS version, good results would likely be limited to 200 yards. One shot really forces you to be on your game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HowardDove

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,