My 35 Whelen

Thedoveshooter

AH senior member
Joined
Mar 20, 2022
Messages
76
Reaction score
250
Media
1
Just got my rifle back from my stock guy. Now to work on a load.

35 Whelen
24” 1:14 twist McGowen barrel
American black walnut stock

IMG_6968.jpeg
IMG_6969.jpeg
IMG_6970.jpeg
IMG_6971.jpeg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
That stock looks amazing. Well done
 
Well done. That stock is really beautiful. I may need your stock guy's contact info! I am currently in the process of building a 35 Whelen. May I ask, how did you settle on the 1:14 twist? Was that Sako originally chambered in 35W? Lovely rifle.
 
very nice rifle, now to finish it properly, cut the barrel to 18-20 inches and have it threaded for a suppressor and now you will have the perfect rifle.
 
very nice rifle, now to finish it properly, cut the barrel to 18-20 inches and have it threaded for a suppressor and now you will have the perfect rifle.
Save time and effort; re-barrel in 9.3x62 ! Perfect.
 
Well done. That stock is really beautiful. I may need your stock guy's contact info! I am currently in the process of building a 35 Whelen. May I ask, how did you settle on the 1:14 twist? Was that Sako originally chambered in 35W? Lovely rifle.
My stock guy is stopping working on stocks. He said mine was one of his last. I got the Sako action NIB at a gun show a couple years ago.
 
Well done. That stock is really beautiful. I may need your stock guy's contact info! I am currently in the process of building a 35 Whelen. May I ask, how did you settle on the 1:14 twist? Was that Sako originally chambered in 35W? Lovely rifle.
Not to answer for the man, but 1-14 is the standard twist for .358. I ran into this years ago building a whelen, wanted a 1-12 but didn’t want to wait 8 months to get it. 1-14 is good for all but the heaviest monos, such as the 275 grain hammer bullet.
 
Not to answer for the man, but 1-14 is the standard twist for .358. I ran into this years ago building a whelen, wanted a 1-12 but didn’t want to wait 8 months to get it. 1-14 is good for all but the heaviest monos, such as the 275 grain hammer bullet.

Exactly why I chose 1:14. I’m going to load 199 or 215 gr Hammer HHT.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,355
Messages
1,574,002
Members
169,880
Latest member
LunaXофициальныйсайт
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

jnelson wrote on Jjhog's profile.
might think about getting these bullets to me
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top