My 303-25

@Cervus elaphas
There were many a Sako 222 barrel burnt out. When sako was asked to provide spare barrels they said no one could burn out a barrel that quickly. They sent out a rep to check it out and when they found out it was true they started to send barrels to Australia. It was the only country in the world at the time that wore out barrels hunting.
Bob
Bob,
Australia is still probably the only country in the world where rifle barrels can be wore out hunting, because you guys can hunt year round. As per our previous conversation a few days ago, I didn't know you were allowed to hunt big game year round and you didn't know that in many western US states, you get ONE big game hunting season in the fall. Some states allow you to hunt in all seasons, but in Colorado as an example for elk, you choose archery, muzzle loader or rifle season. You get to hunt in ONE of those and for ONE elk. If you choose rifle, you must choose ONE of four ONE WEEK seasons, starting in October and runs through generally the latter part of November. Unless you get a leftover tag, that's it! Same general seasons for deer and about a couple of week season for pronghorn. Your big game hunting, if you have even drawn a tag to begin with, is over for the year. You can get an over the counter bull elk tag in the other areas that aren't in the draw areas, but generally speaking, you get one week to hunt elk. Unless you get an over the counter tag, you may only draw a tag every couple of years? You may not see an elk to shoot every time you have a tag? That is why a box of big game hunting ammo can last many hunters here several years, depending on how often they go to the range. And since they'res not much ammo to be had anyway, no worn out big game rifle barrels here! Ha! Ha!
CEH

Last edited:
Bob,
Australia is still probably the only country in the world where rifle barrels can be wore out hunting, because you guys can hunt year round. As per our previous conversation a few days ago, I didn't know you were allowed to hunt big game year round and you didn't know that in many western US states, you get ONE big game hunting season in the fall. Some states allow you to hunt in all seasons, but in Colorado as an example for elk, you choose archery, muzzle loader or rifle season. You get to hunt in ONE of those and for ONE elk. If you choose rifle, you must choose ONE of four ONE WEEK seasons, starting in October and runs through generally the latter part of November. Unless you get a leftover tag, that's it! Same general seasons for deer and about a couple of week season for pronghorn. Your big game hunting, if you have even drawn a tag to begin with, is over for the year. You can get an over the counter bull elk tag in the other areas that aren't in the draw areas, but generally speaking, you get one week to hunt elk. Unless you get an over the counter tag, you may only draw a tag every couple of years? You may not see an elk to shoot every time you have a tag? That is why a box of big game hunting ammo can last many hunters here several years, depending on how often they go to the range. And since they'res not much ammo to be had anyway, no worn out big game rifle barrels here! Ha! Ha!
CEH
@CoElkHunter
You are truly unlucky in the U.S. only having such short game seasons. We used to have seasons for deer usually April until November but since they have become a pest there is no season now it is 365 days a year. When I was younger you were not allowed to shoot on Sunday.
Bob

@Cervus elaphas
My apologies for my reply it was meant for the young grasshopper @CoElkHunter. I am afraid he his slipping in his education on the Whelen and proper loading practices.
I was having a senior moment when I replied.
If young grasshopper keeps being a Muppet I will have to take his 338 off him and give him @CBH wife nice pink muddy girl 243. I will also borrow @Bruce moulds pink tutu and ballet slippers for him.
After that ìi would have him March up as nd down the firing line of my his gun club shouting loudly this is what I hunt with.
That should fix him.
Bob
bob, you know i don't wear a tutu, but rather a mankini.
bruce.

@Cervus elaphas
There were many a Sako 222 barrel burnt out. When sako was asked to provide spare barrels they said no one could burn out a barrel that quickly. They sent out a rep to check it out and when they found out it was true they started to send barrels to Australia. It was the only country in the world at the time that wore out barrels hunting.
Bob
I did try to tell the hunters to shoot them rather than use them as a club but it's hard to convince some people

@Cervus elaphas
My apologies for my reply it was meant for the young grasshopper @CoElkHunter. I am afraid he his slipping in his education on the Whelen and proper loading practices.
I was having a senior moment when I replied.
If young grasshopper keeps being a Muppet I will have to take his 338 off him and give him @CBH wife nice pink muddy girl 243. I will also borrow @Bruce moulds pink tutu and ballet slippers for him.
After that ìi would have him March up as nd down the firing line of my his gun club shouting loudly this is what I hunt with.
That should fix him.
Bob
Sounds a lot safer than have him strip naked and do antelope imitations in the long grass.

@Cervus elaphas
Bob
I don't think that was the only cal with worn out barrels, i.e. during the great water buffalo meat cull 1960's?, shooters used .308 scoped rifles. Bet they wore out a few of those. My deer hunting mate wore out two 308 barrels over the time we hunted together, mind you he did shoot a lot of deer and ended up doing venison recovery down at the Haast. His rifle wasn't a Sako, it was a BSA Royal or Majestic.

@CoElkHunter
You are truly unlucky in the U.S. only having such short game seasons. We used to have seasons for deer usually April until November but since they have become a pest there is no season now it is 365 days a year. When I was younger you were not allowed to shoot on Sunday.
Bob
Kiwis are the same. As deer are still classified as a pest deemed to be eradicated by the department of "conservation" along with every other introduced animal fish or insect except of the course the brush-tailed opossum, there is no closed season. A lot of hunters don't shoot pregnant hinds or collect velvet for the CCP and I'm one of them. The best heads are mostly now behind fences, unlike the Rakaia mobs of yesteryear.

Bob,
CEH
In New Zealand the only restriction was for the elk (Wapiti) season down in Fiordland when blocks were drawn by ballot. You were either lucky or not. Game management was carried out by the NZ Deerstalkers Assoc who sent teams down there to cull out red deer/Wapiti hybrids to try and keep the herds pure. Of course the dept of "conservation" moved most of the herd out of Fiordland in their usual disastrous mismanagement. Another moneymaking venture for the country down the gurgler. You will be lucky to see a Wapiti in Fiordland these days let alone a good stag - they are mostly behind fences up in North Canterbury. I am still hoping that they find moose down there, but don't tell DOC.

In New Zealand the only restriction was for the elk (Wapiti) season down in Fiordland when blocks were drawn by ballot. You were either lucky or not. Game management was carried out by the NZ Deerstalkers Assoc who sent teams down there to cull out red deer/Wapiti hybrids to try and keep the herds pure. Of course the dept of "conservation" moved most of the herd out of Fiordland in their usual disastrous mismanagement. Another moneymaking venture for the country down the gurgler. You will be lucky to see a Wapiti in Fiordland these days let alone a good stag - they are mostly behind fences up in North Canterbury. I am still hoping that they find moose down there, but don't tell DOC.
@Cervus elaphas
Stop being a sook and put your big boy panties on. At least you have whitetail deer on Stewart island.
Bob

@Cervus elaphas
Stop being a sook and put your big boy panties on. At least you have whitetail deer on Stewart island.
Bob
haha gotcha there Bob, I hunted Rakiura with a .243 back in the days but didn't get a whitetail. The only whitetails I got close to were those spiders living under my house further north. On the island the best tucker was crayfish paua oysters & muttonbirds.

haha gotcha there Bob, I hunted Rakiura with a .243 back in the days but didn't get a whitetail. The only whitetails I got close to were those spiders living under my house further north. On the island the best tucker was crayfish paua oysters & muttonbirds.
@Cervus elaphas
Them is 2 words that should never be used in the same sentence. Hunted and 243.
You either hunted and that involves using a real caliber
Or
I took a 243 for a walk in the bush because you can't hunt with something that is not designed for hunting.
Bob

I don't think that was the only cal with worn out barrels, i.e. during the great water buffalo meat cull 1960's?, shooters used .308 scoped rifles. Bet they wore out a few of those. My deer hunting mate wore out two 308 barrels over the time we hunted together, mind you he did shoot a lot of deer and ended up doing venison recovery down at the Haast. His rifle wasn't a Sako, it was a BSA Royal or Majestic.
Camel shooters doing culls will shoot out barrels literally in a few days
@Cervus elaphas
Or
I took a 243 for a walk in the bush because you can't hunt with something that is not designed for hunting.
Bob
I used a 243 for years on wild pigs. It worked very well - gave a 243 to a step son.
The caliber is too light for heavy work and too heavy for light work.
Noisy critter!!

Camel shooters doing culls will shoot out barrels literally in a few days

I used a 243 for years on wild pigs. It worked very well - gave a 243 to a step son.
The caliber is too light for heavy work and too heavy for light work.
Noisy critter!!
I used 100gr with mine mainly for pigs & chamois, and small deer. No complaints. I think the 6mm (.244) Remington is a better cartridge but in the battle twixt Remington and Winchester, Winchester won having heavier bullets. As one commentator stated "The Winchester .243 became the darling and the .244 Remington became the goat". That's a shame.

Last edited:
@Cervus elaphas
Or
Bob
The .222 is not suitable for red deer either but the NZ forest service cullers were issued with them. I know of one culler who bought his own sporterized .303 and a box of ex-army FMJ ammo and used that.

The .222 is not suitable for red deer either but the NZ forest service cullers were issued with them. I know of one culler who bought his own sporterized .303 and a box of ex-army FMJ ammo and used that.
That's believable as government ment department s are full of experts who dont have any life experience or practical knowledge.
And don't be telling Bob you hunted with a .243. He has a real distaste for it. I think he is a keen gardener.

the forest service guys seemed to like the 222 for red deer.
not sure why.
maybe easier to carry more ammo, easier to shoot, were good enough shots, would not shoot unless sure.????
bruce.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maximo5631

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,