My 303-25

here in oz, at the end of the 303/25 era, the 222 was probably the main cartridge that took its place.
some guys that wanted bigger went for 243 win.
a lot of the 222 guys went up a notch and got a 243 after trying to exceed the poor little 222s capability.
some just kept using it happily on goats and pigs.
the 270 was considered overkill, and the 7 mag was laughed at.
after starting with a 222 myself, i wanted a 270, but could not get one at the time, so got one of the first shipments of rem 700 25/06s to come to oz.
then a year later the ordered 270 turned up.
there have been a lot of cartridges under the bridge since then, but you end up with what suits you.
bruce.

the forest service guys seemed to like the 222 for red deer.
not sure why.
maybe easier to carry more ammo, easier to shoot, were good enough shots, would not shoot unless sure.????
bruce.
Yes I think so because the .222 requires very good accuracy with that light bullet. It is quiet though, compared to the echoing boom of the .303

here in oz, at the end of the 303/25 era, the 222 was probably the main cartridge that took its place.
some guys that wanted bigger went for 243 win.
a lot of the 222 guys went up a notch and got a 243 after trying to exceed the poor little 222s capability.
some just kept using it happily on goats and pigs.
the 270 was considered overkill, and the 7 mag was laughed at.
after starting with a 222 myself, i wanted a 270, but could not get one at the time, so got one of the first shipments of rem 700 25/06s to come to oz.
then a year later the ordered 270 turned up.
there have been a lot of cartridges under the bridge since then, but you end up with what suits you.
bruce.
@bruce moulds
You should have kept that 25/06 it is like the Whelen underrated and unloved. It didn't get the advertising budget of the 270 or 243 but is suitable for 95% Of Australian game.
Bob.

Yes I remember saboted projectiles being listed in adverts.
I either was reloading or didn't have ready cash at the time, maybe I didn't have a .30 running. Iv had a few .308 over the years.
Does anyone know if saboted projectiles are available?
@CBH Australia E. Arthur Brown Company (EABCO) offer accelerator style sabots and … if you do a bit of googling you can find the actual makers. Every time I check, the prices are identical. Both sites offer the special seating die: US$15.95 on the E. Arthur Brown Company website, just now.

I intend to order some and try them in my 7.62 target rifle which has a 1-14” twist barrel. Shooting 55-grain .224 caliber projectiles out of a 1-10” twist barrel at Accelerator velocities seems rather stupid to me. Those bullets are not intended to do that many revolutions per second. I will be testing 55-, 60- and 63-grain flat-base bullets in my 1-14” twist barrel.

bob,
it went through 2 barrels, mostly on goats, some on donkeys, varmints, and deer, and a few pigs.
bruce.
@bruce moulds
The way we Aussie shoot it's not impossible to burn out barrels. I burnt out a 303 on game and having fun. It's not hard when you have access to 2 44 gallon drums of ammo for free. I got rid of my 22/250 when it started to group a n inch.
A bloke I used to hunt with used to buy 6mm barrels for a hundred bucks when his mate wore them out. Once they started to group more than 0.1 inches he got rid of the barrel. He was a world champion benchrest shooter so a barrel that couldn't group less than 0.1 was no use to him.
Bob

Like most Aussie shooters I had a No 1 Mk111 in 303-25, great for 'roos and foxes with the 100 grainers, and I had a 25-06 in an M17, the thing would shoot a mile but the heaviest bullet you could get was 120 gr.
At the moment I have in my Enfield selection, a No 1 Mk111 in 257 Roberts rimmed ( 7x57 rimmed cases left over from a combination BRNO I had ) that I am about to re-stock.......

View attachment 405214

One of its previous incarnations..I was also thinking about making a Martini Cadet stalking rifle in 25-35.

Roger
I used 87 grain Bullets in the 303/25. These performed excellently - very soft Bullets from memory

@bruce moulds
The way we Aussie shoot it's not impossible to burn out barrels. I burnt out a 303 on game and having fun. It's not hard when you have access to 2 44 gallon drums of ammo for free. I got rid of my 22/250 when it started to group a n inch.
A bloke I used to hunt with used to buy 6mm barrels for a hundred bucks when his mate wore them out. Once they started to group more than 0.1 inches he got rid of the barrel. He was a world champion benchrest shooter so a barrel that couldn't group less than 0.1 was no use to him.
Bob
Wow!!

@bruce moulds
You should have kept that 25/06 it is like the Whelen underrated and unloved. It didn't get the advertising budget of the 270 or 243 but is suitable for 95% Of Australian game.
Bob.
That's because both 270 308 & 243 are Winchester, and Winchester has big bucks. I like the Whelen, along with the 425WR 6.5x55 404J and a few others.

Where’s Wyatt? I think we lost him a long time ago on this (his) thread. Ha! Ha!
@CoElkHunter
At the moment he is busy being a farmer and ploughing and planting.
He is still young grasshopper and has may seeds to sow and not only on the farm.
Bob

Here I am CEH. I’m glad to see this thread grow so much in the last couple days. I love all information on shooting in Australia.
Today I am going to remove the peep sight and try a couple groups with the barrel mounted sight. The reason for removing the peep sight is the elevation is maxed out and Still shoots a foot high. If I was going to leave it open sights I would get a taller front sight.
There are plenty of groundhogs around so I may be able to try it out soon.

Well bad news. I removed the “peep” sight and bore sighted the barrel sight. I could not get the sight low enough to zero it, before the back of the action would get in the line of sight. I will just get a scope mount and scope, (soon as I can afford them) and then I will be able to finally use this thing.

Well bad news. I removed the “peep” sight and bore sighted the barrel sight. I could not get the sight low enough to zero it, before the back of the action would get in the line of sight. I will just get a scope mount and scope, (soon as I can afford them) and then I will be able to finally use this thing.
@Wyatt Smith
Look on the bright side you have to remove the peep sight to fit a scope mount anyhoo.
Cut another cord of wood and get a mount they are only about 50 bucks.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you